Tennessee Temple dropping football program

just4fun

How do the rules being broken have anything to do with the program being eliminated?

You said the rule is in place to benefit the kids, but you didn't answer my question of "how does it benefit them?"

I don't know how many kids were attracted to Temple because of football, but I do know that only 6 high schoolers wanted to play football next year.

I don't have access to the enrollment numbers at Temple, but having been around a long time I can tell you that last year was the first time I've heard the administration say they had an increased enrollment, which I believe was around 100 or so students for K3 - 12. Up until last year enrollment had either decreased or held steady since the early 80's

The rule you were talking about in particular will not benefit the kids there now at all. As zonepirate said, it is in place to help prevent recruiting and kids transferring "just because they want to." If not for that there would be kids jumping ship in a lot of places all across the state. All of the rules in general are made to work together to (supposedly) benefit the kids. When any of these rules are broken then you get situations where one rule such as this one seems to be a punishment to the innocent kids.

As for the how the rules being broken have anything to do with the program being eliminated, well, maybe they didn't have much at all to do with it. I guess there is just a wide assumption by people that it factored into the decision.

Thanks for what info you had on the enrollment numbers. I didn't think that the enrollment went up a lot and I didn't think that there were many that came in for the sole purpose of the football program. And if that is the case then I don't guess that anyone will really be transferring due to Temple dropping football so the rule is really a moot point in this case.

I will agree with 66in74 though in that I have never heard of the mileage rule before. I thought a bona fide change in address was all that was necessary. Unless it is a rule only for private schools. I have heard that the rules concerning transfers with private schools are a lot different than those of public schools.

**edit** I just saw zonepirate's post of the rules so that explains the 20 mile bit.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's made to help prevent recruiting. The kids that are caught up in the Temple dropping football will get a chance to request a hardship waver. That's the way of making sure it is as fair as possible to all concerned. I wish them luck.

Hey zone how does that 20 mile radius affect that stud you recruited from alabama. Hargis told me about him I here he is a hoss. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hey zone how does that 20 mile radius affect that stud you recruited from alabama Hargis told me about him I here he is a hoss. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

He's from outside the 20 mile range of course /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Thanks for what info you had on the enrollment numbers. I didn't think that the enrollment went up a lot and I didn't think that there were many that came in for the sole purpose of the football program. And if that is the case then I don't guess that anyone will really be transferring due to Temple dropping football so the rule is really a moot point in this case.

To the 6 kids who might want to transfer so they can play high school football, it isn't a moot point at all. With this rule TSSAA is robbing these kids of a year of football they'll never get back, and maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how the rule helps anybody.

The AD said in the paper they had just under 20 sign up for spring practice, which seems like more than six.

Did he say 20 high school kids? If so, I am mistaken.

Hey zone how does that 20 mile radius affect that stud you recruited from alabama. Hargis told me about him I here he is a hoss. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I believe Montgomery is outside the 20 mile radius /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> .

If you must know the kid moved from South Pittsburg to Mongomery a couple of years ago to live with his Mom. He recently moved back to live with his Dad. He has attended SP schools all his life except the last 2 years. He is fast, tough and hits hard but not real big. My guess is he will be a WR and DB. He is not as tall as Weatherspoon but could help fill the hole from his graduation. He could also end up as a wing if he puts on some weight. He played for me over the years..great kid. We are lucky to have him back.

To the 6 kids who might want to transfer so they can play high school football, it isn't a moot point at all. With this rule TSSAA is robbing these kids of a year of football they'll never get back, and maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how the rule helps anybody.

Any kid who transfers for any reason has to go through the TSSAA clearance process. They can request a hardship waver. If football is their only sport I would say they have a chance. If they are also big BB or baseball studs is it fair to other schools, even Temple, to have them play those sports as a transfer student? The transfer rules apply to all sports that they play so it is not as cut and dried as you make it sound. I would suggest we see if the TSSAA grants any of them wavers first.

Did he say 20 high school kids? If so, I am mistaken.

I had heard that 12 or 13 HS kids went out. Even that is not enough to field a team. Of course this was second hand info.

Any kid who transfers for any reason has to go through the TSSAA clearance process. They can request a hardship waver. If football is their only sport I would say they have a chance. If they are also big BB or baseball studs is it fair to other schools, even Temple, to have them play those sports as a transfer student?

If Nathan Rector, the freshman QB, starting post in B-ball, and starting infielder plays against Temple in basketball and baseball next year, I'm happy for him because he's getting to play. If Temple had done a better job building their school they would not have lost football, or Nathan and his other football buddies. These kids deserve the chance to play football like every other kid does.

TSSAA might let them but a waver is required. Nothing is in the rules about a school discontinuing a sport making a transfer eligible even to their "home" school

Update - This was posted by Bighurt on the Public-Private Board when talking about the Temple kids getting to transfer with no loss of eligibility. I think Temple kids are in the same boat as the CA kids.

"Nope, Ask the Clarksville Academy kids what happened when CA dropped football. They could not transfer and play anywhere - public or private - for 12 months."

ZP,

I am honored that you quoted me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

dadoffour,

You are right it does seem unfair to these kids.

If Nathan Rector, the freshman QB, starting post in B-ball, and starting infielder plays against Temple in basketball and baseball next year, I'm happy for him because he's getting to play. If Temple had done a better job building their school they would not have lost football, or Nathan and his other football buddies. These kids deserve the chance to play football like every other kid does.

You are correct. It is Temple's Admin who let it get to this point. I understand about it not being fair if the kid has to sit out a year. I can also see the flip side where other teams (maybe not you) would be happy to see him get to play the other sports along with football. I don't think there is a good answer.

ZP,I am honored that you quoted me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> dadoffour,You are right it does seem unfair to these kids.

Most welcome. You word carries weight around here. It is unfortunate for the kids

You are correct. It is Temple's Admin who let it get to this point.

Actually I was referring to the previous administration who didn't do much to try and grow the school. The current administration is doing a heck of a job trying to put the pieces back together, but it's not going to be easy. Not many parents are willing to send their kids to a school in the middle of Highland Park when there are plenty of good options in much better parts of town.

Rector was listed in Temple's box score as pitching so he's not gone yet.

Yeah, Rector got the win over Tyner last Saturday (after they heckled him during his warm-up.) He's done at Temple after this year.

Actually I was referring to the previous administration who didn't do much to try and grow the school. The current administration is doing a heck of a job trying to put the pieces back together, but it's not going to be easy. Not many parents are willing to send their kids to a school in the middle of Highland Park when there are plenty of good options in much better parts of town.Yeah, Rector got the win over Tyner last Saturday (after they heckled him during his warm-up.) He's done at Temple after this year.

"heck of a job trying to put the pieces back together?" Can you explain what you mean? The way I see it the only pieces they are trying to put back together are the ones that were created when they dropped the vase. Every time they get half of it glued back together, they drop again.