Oakland Patriots - How is the offseason?

lilcoach7

Supposedly there was some jawing back and forth at the end of the scrimmage and a good size group got into a "scuffle" Boys will be boys. Nothing serious, brawl was probably a poor choice of words. I heard the Oakland kids were taking up for each other, which I would count as a positive.

You supporting Riverdale, me supporting Oakland. So THIS is what Bizarro world feels like!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2P i just dont understand i thought u was a fan of the schools but you are actually a fan of the coaches?...well coach rankin left(and i liked him)but i still support RIVERDALE through and through while i may not like the wing t i am still all about them warriors and i REALLY HATE SEEING alot of our really good coaches go across town

No, actually Riverdaleman, I am a fan of what is familiar and dear to me. You actually played football at Riverdale, graduated from there, and your sons go to school there. You are familiar with the current players, staff, and administrators. You had ties to the place from the very beginning. You go to games in all sports because your children play baseball, and I am sure they have girlfriends that play other sports and you support and got to see those too.

With me, I grew up and played ball in GA. I moved into the Boro in late 87 and happened to land in the OHS zone. I took my son to games at OHS, and they just happened to be hitting their stride at that time with athletes, a hard-hitting defense, and the ability to score at will on opponents. I became a huge fan and my son had a dream to play ball there. We tried to go to all the games. I was familiar with the place, but had no strong ties quite like you have at Riverdale. I didn't actually know any of the coaches or the players at that time b/c I had no one that I actually knew that attended school there/ It was just fun to follow them. We continued going to games until it came time for my son to play ball there. Unlike RHS where Rankin was a constant for many yrs, OHS wasn't. We had many coaching changes during the 20 yrs that I followed them. We had up's and down's over the years. I was a very vocal and avid supporter when my son's turn came to play and grew to really love the school and all it represented. With friends of my son playing other sports, I went to a few baseball and basketball games. but nothing like you do at RHS. My son was VERY close to Marty U and his staff. They were a family and I like the way he was treated. We were lucky enough to win the state there and as my son left for college, there was a huge void in my life. B/c several of his friends were still at OHS, I continued to attend games to support them and the coaches that had my respect. I vowed to continue my support as long as someone from the 98 staff was on board the O train. As you already know, there is no longer a person there that fits that bill. I came to care about and know personally several players in these last years . We kept in contact and I encouraged them. They are all gone now and so are those coaches that I knew. So that sense of HOME to me is really no longer there. I will be honest with you, some of changes being made , I am not too happy with. It seems they are taking away all of the old OHS traditions that I was familiar with. I will always be for Oakland, but as far as I am concerned Marty U and Ferg, and Pipp will always be Oakland to me wherever they land and I am forever grateful to them for all they did for my son and making him into a good man. I have no reason not to believe the new staff won't bring pride back to the school and town, but in my eyes they will always be Riverdale transplants , just like as my buddy oaklandpatriots tells me, that I am a GA transplant.

No, actually Riverdaleman, I am a fan of what is familiar and dear to me. You actually played football at Riverdale, graduated from there, and your sons go to school there. You are familiar with the current players, staff, and administrators. You had ties to the place from the very beginning. You go to games in all sports because your children play baseball, and I am sure they have girlfriends that play other sports and you support and got to see those too.

With me, I grew up and played ball in GA. I moved into the Boro in late 87 and happened to land in the OHS zone. I took my son to games at OHS, and they just happened to be hitting their stride at that time with athletes, a hard-hitting defense, and the ability to score at will on opponents. I became a huge fan and my son had a dream to play ball there. We tried to go to all the games. I was familiar with the place, but had no strong ties quite like you have at Riverdale. I didn't actually know any of the coaches or the players at that time b/c I had no one that I actually knew that attended school there/ It was just fun to follow them. We continued going to games until it came time for my son to play ball there. Unlike RHS where Rankin was a constant for many yrs, OHS wasn't. We had many coaching changes during the 20 yrs that I followed them. We had up's and down's over the years. I was a very vocal and avid supporter when my son's turn came to play and grew to really love the school and all it represented. With friends of my son playing other sports, I went to a few baseball and basketball games. but nothing like you do at RHS. My son was VERY close to Marty U and his staff. They were a family and I like the way he was treated. We were lucky enough to win the state there and as my son left for college, there was a huge void in my life. B/c several of his friends were still at OHS, I continued to attend games to support them and the coaches that had my respect. I vowed to continue my support as long as someone from the 98 staff was on board the O train. As you already know, there is no longer a person there that fits that bill. I came to care about and know personally several players in these last years . We kept in contact and I encouraged them. They are all gone now and so are those coaches that I knew. So that sense of HOME to me is really no longer there. I will be honest with you, some of changes being made , I am not too happy with. It seems they are taking away all of the old OHS traditions that I was familiar with. I will always be for Oakland, but as far as I am concerned Marty U and Ferg, and Pipp will always be Oakland to me wherever they land and I am forever grateful to them for all they did for my son and making him into a good man. I have no reason not to believe the new staff won't bring pride back to the school and town, but in my eyes they will always be Riverdale transplants , just like as my buddy oaklandpatriots tells me, that I am a GA transplant.

In terms of changing all the tradition and what not, I look at it as starting anew from within. I know the hiring of McDaniel was not a popular from a large part of the alumni and parent base, but when Marty was hired, he had a less than flattering record as a head coach and he turned into one of the best periods of football for Oakland in quite a while. Is McDaniel Marty? Absolutely not, and it would be unfair to perform under the same standards as the one's that Oakland achieved under Marty. Each coach has his own way of doing things, and I look at the hiring of McDaniel as a cleansing from within. Oakland, while having a good reputation across the state as a class program that did things the right way, had become stale as a program, underachieved consistently when much better succes was awaiting the Patriots. Some blame it on Siegel opening up and taking away from a lot of Oakland's student base, some say its just plain bad luck, whatever is the case, a change had to be made as football coaches arent hired to do things the right way all the time, their hired to win ballgames.

Thats the reality of it. I will say that i dont completly agree with everything Butch has done in his tenure up to this point, but their is one irrefutable fact: He loves Oakland with all his being and will do ANYTHING in order to further its success. I remember going by there recently and listing down all the changes that have been made since I graduated, its mind numbing and exciting in the same sentence.

I think Oakland has been fortunate to have coaches that are loyal to the school while maintaining a high level of success. This is pretty much the first hire that Oakland has had to make where the performance on the field was the reason why the previous staff was let go, so when change is made around Oakland, people are usually reluctant to embrace the new staff originally, but not because they deem as a bad hire, its just Oakland has had tremendous success with their head coaches and when they left, hiring from within to keep the success going.

From all indications, the kids are excited about playing for McDaniel and the numbers seem to be up, however, Ive heard this song and dance before, the previous staff was praised early on for the exact same things, so count me as cautiously optimistic.

im gonna be honest with you...while coach ferg maybe a great guy and a good head coach the fact is his teams never produced...how long has it been since you was in the playoffs and how long has it been since you won more than 2 games?...98?....i personally wish that ferg was still the coach there for some reason he did not get the end result on the feild and he had plenty of time to build it...as far as marty goes...you will disagree with this BUT he won state in 98 with butlers kids he taught them to be tough football players but he was over the top (i really like the guy personally always real pleasant to talk to)then marty comes in and mellows things out and it ended up being a great calm for those players to get over the hump...what did he do after that i know you made playoffs most years but how many did you win more than 2.

I really like coach Mcdaniel and the staff he has put together i like his freshman coach great kid that i love to death (hopefully one day he will be back home to RIVERDALE)I also like a couple of his assitstants that are RIVERDALE grads he took over there...while i am a rankin fan and appreciate everything he did at RIVERDALE i was also one of the first to point out that we have one of the greatest staffs in the state and now oakland has about half of them...rankin did a great job running the program and his asst. did a great job of coaching those players not having any down time in practice all 100 kids were doing something the entire practice and a lot of them got playing time during the game...the worst part about this new staff to me is that they are young and they could be there a long time now thats scary IT MAY GO BACK TO BEING THE BATTLE OF THE BORO AGAIN

GO WARRIORS

Rick Butler knows his football, but at the time he was at OHS, he had difficulty controlling his temper, emotions, and translating his knowledge to the players. He is extremely lucky he wasn't sued. Ask Rick, he will tell you his story of what kind of man he was Before he turned his life back over to Christ. Marty was able to take a team out of sync and very much fragmented BECAUSE of Rick and made them into Marty's Army. I know this because my son played for BOTH, yours didn't! It was all Marty and staff that earned that title, not Butler. Marty went to the playoffs every single year that he was the head coach at OHS, all 6 yrs....even his last yr he went with a team of only 33 players!! That is by COACHING, man! We missed the playoffs AFTER Marty left. Oh and guess yall forgot, not only did we win state in 98, we went to the semis in 99. Guess you also forgot about that huge WIN in 2000 over your Warriors?? Marty won a lot more than 2 games every yr he was at the helm at OHS. Can you imagine what we could have done with Ralph King, who lived in the OHS zone the entire time he broke all the records at Riverdale? He was helped by the great Donnie Webb as the DC, who has continued to thrill the fans at Franklin, who also has been in the BCB with him calling the plays. So please don't continue to give Butler the credit for something magical that happened at OHS!

Don't confuse Marty's reign as Head Coach with Ferg's .....and Ferg won 3 games last yr AND the yr before that we won 4. So does THAT answer your question about when we won more than 2 games? You may want to check BGA's record the year Mc was there compared to this last season with Marty there. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yes, the new coaches are young.......and hopefully they will be around awhile to build the program up. But face the facts, Mc's track record the last 2 yrs says he may be a flight risk. If you were right about him checking into the Smyrna job, it makes the water even muddier!

i was talking about 2 wins in the playoffs i also wasnt attacking i was asking...i do give him the credit for the state championship he was a great counter to what was there before and that is what brought that chemistry together...what did he do after the 99 season? and yes i remember that yall beat us in 2000 but i missed you in the championship game i would have loved to play yall gain in the snow rather than red bank that year...

pretty cool getting 2P a little FIRED UP during the spring lol

I will always get fired up defending Marty. There is no way that I can put into words all the gratefulness that I feel for him. I hold him, Ferg, and the Christian staff he assembled for my son being SAVED. Yes, he became a Christian b/c of their teachings and the way that they lived their lives. There is no way that I can thank them for that, and I can assure you that the other 51 players that turned their lives over to our Savior due to these Christian role models would whole-heartedly agree. Yes, that ring was a wonderful thing and very very special to us, but it is only secondary to a life in heaven in my book.

Now maybe you understand WHY I don't feel exactly the same passionate way over the new young enthusiastic staff that is there now that I do for Marty, Ferg, Donnie Webb, and Co. Even if they win 3 BCB's in a row....I will never hold them higher than Marty Euverard in my eyes. I hope that the parents and players of the current Patriots will defend these new guys as viciously as I have the staff of 98!

FYI.....we won 2 playoff games in 01. We beat Cookeville and Lincoln County, and lost to Riverdale in the 3rd round.

I will always get fired up defending Marty. There is no way that I can put into words all the gratefulness that I feel for him. I hold him, Ferg, and the Christian staff he assembled for my son being SAVED. Yes, he became a Christian b/c of their teachings and the way that they lived their lives. There is no way that I can thank them for that, and I can assure you that the other 51 players that turned their lives over to our Savior due to these Christian role models would whole-heartedly agree. Yes, that ring was a wonderful thing and very very special to us, but it is only secondary to a life in heaven in my book.

Now maybe you understand WHY I don't feel exactly the same passionate way over the new young enthusiastic staff that is there now that I do for Marty, Ferg, Donnie Webb, and Co. Even if they win 3 BCB's in a row....I will never hold them higher than Marty Euverard in my eyes. I hope that the parents and players of the current Patriots will defend these new guys as viciously as I have the staff of 98!

FYI.....we won 2 playoff games in 01. We beat Cookeville and Lincoln County, and lost to Riverdale in the 3rd round.

2p their needs to be more people on this earth like you! All this football and sports period is icing on the cake just a few of the many things we get to enjoy on this earth! It is very refreshing to see a man with his priorities straight! If you don't have the good Lord your lost and what a great example for coaches to be to these and all young men they have coached! I really enjoy your posts and your passion! With that said you know they are out there passing the good Lord to a bunch of other fortunate young men! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Sure makes you feel good!