Bearden vs. Farragut

ktownman

Sometimes tough teams just gut it out pretty or ugly and that is what Farragut has done and have continued winning, Consistancy is relative and if you are going to talk about that , Farragut hasn't lost yet and that is pretty consistant, yet West and Bearden have. Take away West mouths and I think they are one of the best teams if not the best team around, I just think they pull themselves off their game with each other by talking to much. If they were quiet and jsut played the Golden Trophy could be theirs.

Now Psuede you and I have disagreed on here before and we do again. I don't think that physical play is any less of Farraguts game than Bearden. Since your family is tied to Bearden it makes sense for you to call for Bearden to be the winner . Physical or not I like Farragut's chances they find a way to win. Now that being said is it possible that Bearden wins , of course it is, ........will the refs determine the outcome,... I doubt it , but everytime Farragut Beats Bearden, Psuede for the last couple of years the excuse is the refs calls come into play, so I have 1 question....If Farragut loses is it ok if they blame the refs too????

On the Pitch....man, could it be we agree on something!! Or even more than 1 thing? First off, let me say that I agree with you about West, they have a very good team and could beat anyone...but their mouths are annoying. They can't come up from a single play without crying to a ref, or complain to each other. It is very sad! They could be great. As far as the "reffing" goes, yes I have ties to Bearden, and no, I do not have a child playing for them now, but still pull for them against whoever they play. We could go around about the issues of calls, refs, etc. all day.......However- When 1 team gets 17 fouls called against them in the first 27 minutes of a game and the other doesn't have 1 called against them......then I think it is safe to say that the calls can have an impact on the game. I don't believe that it is an excuse for losing a game at any time. I have always said that you should be good enough to beat your opponent, whatever the circumstance! SO.... you make the call after the game!

Pseudo's

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a "poster" novice but not so regarding soccer assessment (though FAR from being an expert). My rational about being suprised that Farragut won is based on watching several of Bearden, West and Farragut games. Of the three teams this year, West has impressed me the most on a consistent basis. I just haven't seen the killer instinct from Farargut like Bearden or the team play like West, but they beat the teams they should (making some closer than it should), and on the tougher games, they they seem to pull through with ugly wins, which is what I would classify the West win (save for the last five minutes, exciting!). Agree that loser of this game tomorrow night should not hang up cleats, if history is any sign of what is to come, they will be meeting again.

Time to eat crow! Very impressed with the way Farragut stepped up (best I've seen them play this year). Turner showed alot of class when he benched his starters for the first part of the game; anyone notice the graphic art display on the field? Courtesy of some overzealous Bearden fans; I wonder if that will be kept a secret or they'll catch the culprits. Anyways, looks like the benching may have spurred Farragut to start out fast and even when the regulars came in, Farragut conrolled the game. Their defense looked solid and the offense figured a way to get past the flat back four, which Bearden cahnged sometime in the 2nd half. looking forward to the Districts, should be another good one. Huge crowd to see match, at least a 1,000 there.

Alright...really?! Why did Turner bench his starters? There has to be a better reason than the fact that they played like dookie against LC. I hate to question a coach's decision, but there has to be a darn good reason for benching your starters when it could mean the difference between a number one seed and a two seed for the district tournament. After all, the lower seed could have to play a team like Marvyille, LC, or S. County--all of which could legitimately beat Bearden in the district tournament. (Of course this would take another poor display from Bearden).

Were the starters somehow connected with the egregious art work on the field? Is Turner still upset about the LC tie? I am inquisitive to the point where it hurts. Of course I am a firm believer that there are many things that should be kept within a team, but if it is a public matter, I would definitely appreciate input.

It almost doesn't matter though. Farragut dominated the game as much when Bearden's starters were in as they did when they were playing against Bearden's reserves. Farragut scored early and often as they beat up on Bearden's defense; it probably could have been 4-0 before Turner finally decided to play his starters with approximately 13 minutes left in the first half.

Farragut is the best team that I have seen in the state this year. They are better than they were last year (if that is possible), and it is nearly impossible for an opposing defense to mark a focal point in their attack. Last year, an opposing team could put their top hounds on Backstrom or Russell, as the 07 Farragut team tended to rely on their prodigies to deliver. Conversely, the '08 Farragut team is much more of an enigma. Do you try to shut down #11 who has solid one vs. one ability up top? Do you try and press #8 in the midfield and hope that he shuns contact? Do you try and force them right when #10 proves that he is crafty and insightful on the outside left? I have no idea what is the best way to play Farragut, and I suspect that other coaches are as flabbergasted as I am.

Farragut is no doubt better than Bearden. It could very easily have been 6-0. They are patient, precise, and like clockwork when they are in rhythm. Everything is one touch, they see space and options before the space and options even exist--truly a fun team to watch! I will go out on a limb and say that this year's Farragut team would beat last year's Farragut team 2-1.

An honest pleasure to watch Farragut in action! Best for the rest of the season!

dins

On a side note: I have to give credit where it is due. Jake Holt (#8) is an exceptional player. He has an outstanding soccer I.Q., and he plays the center-mid position the way it should be played. Every touch is simple, purposeful, and pertinent. He is not nearly as flashy as someone like Webster or Shonefield, but he is no doubt an All-State player and, in my opinion, a top candidate for MVP of this tough district. I can't get enough of this kid!

Dins, I was really puzzled about the JV squad start, too. I don't know the reasons, though, but Coach Turner has proven that he knows what he is doing (maybe in the long run in this case) so I usually give him the benefit of the doubt.

I can say, that once you have gotten into a hole like that, it is VERY hard to get yourself out of it, from a tactical and emotional standpoint.