Forrest changing Name!

leather

why can't people see that your messing with tradition?

would you like someone to come to your town and tell you what your school or even your town should be named?

those of us who grew up , graduated andeven have kids in school at forrest are proud of the name forrest rockets.as far as the atheletic programs go ,without tradition you have nothing....if you have no family tradition what do you have to look forward to as a family? forrest athelets past , present , and future are and always will be a family, so people need to leave our family traditions alone.....

[Edited by Phil75 on 7/17/02 9:42P]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We naturalized you a long time ago, Michael. You don't count as a Yankee anymore. There are some Yankees who came here and liked it, not wanting to change anything. But there have been a few who wanted to make us like Michigan, or Ohio, or New York . . . . Nope, not going to happen. My least favorite saying is "Up in Michigan, we " . . . or wherever they came from. This is Chapel Hill. We are southern! Like it or leave it.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think Forrest School will undergo a name change, and I can't even imagine anyone who lives here even considering changing it. It is very silly to change it to "Yankees" or "Wolverines". I was born in MI too, but I live here now and that's that. I think some other people need to understand that too. As for the PC about the issue, NBF was a historical figure, and yes he did have slaves. So did many of out early presidents, and many schools are named after them. So I don't think that should be an issue in the debate for a name change. It was in the past at a time in history where, unfortuantly, slavery was acceptable, that is just the way it was. We shouldn't try to hide everything about the past and pretend it did not happen, if parents are concerned about how NBFs image is perceived by their children they should ask that their children are educated about him or better yet, do it themselves.

• 1 year later...

I doubt that the school name or mascot will be changed anytime soon. There was talk that MC school colors were going to change and that never did. There is to much tradition with the name Forrest and the Rockets(where ever that came from)

Forrest Rockets forever as far as I am concerned and Good Luck throughout the remainder of the seaon. I know you are all working hard -- keep your heads up and play hard.

Also Marshall County's football uniforms say Marshall county -- how baseball and basketball became the Lewisburg Tigers is beyond me !!!!

This Thread is over 2 years old! Why would someone come on here and dig it up?

Why would someone dig up a 2 year old thread is beyond me?

Lets move on!

Shouldn't the post about MC Lewisburg Uniforms be a new thread instead of at the end of a 2 year old Chapel Hill post?

Rebels or Raiders would seem so appropriate.

I agree. Change the mascot to Rebels or Raiders and proudly leave the school "Forrest". Even though not from Chapel Hill I am there on business a couple of time a year. I always look for their score and hope for a victory because they proudly proclaim their heritage.

"War means fightin', and fightin' means killin'." - Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

There's a division of Yankees in the front and a division in the rear General. Which way do we attack. Nathan Bedford Forrest's reply...."Attack Both Ways!"

And the Federal officers had not considered that scenario.

By the way...never under estimate the folks at Saturn.

Edited by rlh

Doesn't General Forrest also hold the destinction of being the only Cavalry officer to ever claim victory in a naval engagement?

"Gunboat Captors" or "Naval Victors" or "Gunboat Sinkers" or how about "Horseback Navy" or "Saddle Navy"...

THE NEWS HERALD Friday morning October 10, 200?

The rumble that you will hear during late afternoon today, will not be coming from the heavens, but rather from the hoofbeats of the "Saddle Navy" from Chapel Hill as they charge down Lewisberg Pike to engage the local "Gunboats" in battle at a 7:00 PM kickoff at Fort Donelson Stadium. Although the "Saddle Navy" has endured extremely limited resources, and the coach has suffered what for many coaches would be crippling constraints, the team has still enjoyed enormous successes, even among the teams in higher classifications. The modest coach gives credit to his simple philosophy. In reference to the importance of getting the football across the opponent's goalline, it is just a matter to "get there fustest with the mostest." Students of the game understand that behind the coach's stated goal is the mind of a genius... at preparation, strategy, and leadership.

Although this game will not greatly influence the playoff picture, it will be a game of masterful execution, a game for the ages.

Forrest's name should not change, Forrest was the most decorated soldier on either sides of the war.

There are many monuments to him there is one of him in the saddle on I-65 North just before the HOLLYWOOD 27 movie theater. And there also is one in Memphis.

I wish all these dumb yankee's would let it go, there is a thing called tradition.

start a petition to make sure that ALL our southern heritages can be protected, and keep the wonderful name of this school

it should be called the Forrest Rebels!!!!

-Perry County