Ridiculous Parents and Coaches Policy on them

Baseball.4.real

I hear these stories at nearly every ball park I've been to about parents coming after coaches, coming on the field to threaten them, usually complaining because Johnny isn't playing enough, playing the right position etc. What does your coach do when parents scream, yell and complain to him about their son's playing time? Does he play the kid or does he tell them to turn in his uniforms and go somehwere else if that's how they feel?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear these stories at nearly every ball park I've been to about parents coming after coaches, coming on the field to threaten them, usually complaining because Johnny isn't playing enough, playing the right position etc. What does your coach do when parents scream, yell and complain to him about their son's playing time? Does he play the kid or does he tell them to turn in his uniforms and go somehwere else if that's how they feel?

Thats whats wrong with the kids these days THEY VE NEVER BEEN TOLD NO OR HAD TO EARN ANYTHING------they get a trophy or candy or a treat for everything they do from doing there school work-taking out the garbage-using the bathroom-picking up there room------or whatever it may be instead of just telling them thats what your suppose to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> The same go s for the parents LIFE S NOT FAIR let the coach be the coach and the kids work on beating somebody out at a spot in stead of a parent swindling the coach for it.

Thats whats wrong with the kids these days THEY VE NEVER BEEN TOLD NO OR HAD TO EARN ANYTHING------they get a trophy or candy or a treat for everything they do from doing there school work-taking out the garbage-using the bathroom-picking up there room------or whatever it may be instead of just telling them thats what your suppose to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> The same go s for the parents LIFE S NOT FAIR let the coach be the coach and the kids work on beating somebody out at a spot in stead of a parent swindling the coach for it.

WOW Good Stuff!!

Our coach tells parents at a preseason meeting, "If you don't think your son is getting enough playing time, you don't have to ask me why later because I'll tell you now. He just ain't good enough."

My kinda coach right there! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> !

Perhaps some kids and their parents need to know what real teamwork is:

Memorable minute not the whole story for NC State's Myers

As a true freshman in the ACC, Myers was called upon by late coach Jim Valvano to fill in for Whittenburg, a senior captain and outstanding perimeter shooter who missed 14 games because of a small fracture in his foot. During that span, Myers averaged 17.9 points, even leading the team in scoring.

When Whittenburg returned with three regular-season games remaining, Myers was relegated back to the bench, a role he never challenged. Instead, Myers graciously stepped back at a time when most players -- especially now, 25 years later -- would have wanted to burst forward into March Madness. It was an unselfish characteristic the former players say defined that team.

"The difference in guys now versus then, it's like night and day," McQueen said. "Guys now are either -- for lack of a better word -- greedy or selfish, or it's about them. Whereas back then, in my mind we had more respect for each other and more respect for the game itself. We always had an attitude where 'OK, there are seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Everybody will have their turn sooner or later.' Nowadays, guys don't care. ??¦ No respect for the upperclassmen

That was then..... Notice who is perched on top of the backboard celebrating!

Now....

One of the problems in high schools sports is the need for booster clubs. The 'if Jimmy isn't playing, why should I have to work the concession stand?' mentality.

Another problem is a parent sees their son or daughter through a different prism than others do. And because Johnny was great in little league, he should still be great. Well, there a lot of kids that can hit the #5, non-district pitcher with a 75 mph fastball and no control on the breaking stuff. So he will have a great day every now and then, maybe go 2 for 3 with a double off the wall. But he will be overmatched by a #1 in a district game and the coach knows it. But his parents won't.

A lot of parents think their son will get a scholarship and play college ball and pro ball. And until those parents are exposed to real baseball talent, they don't have a true gauge of the talent needed to accomplish that. The Limbaugh family has had that exposure. My dad grew up and played ball with and against Don Mincher. I played with Jimmy Key in Little League (his father was our coach) and my son played against David Price and gave up two bombs to Mike Felix in a summer ball game in Florida. My son was on a pitching staff with a MLB draftee and a D-1 scholarship signee and another pitcher who set the school career wins record. A couple of younger pitchers on that team went on to have great varsity careers so we both knew why he was the 6th man in a 3 man rotation. But he was there just in case 4 of them got hit with comebackers the same day and tied a record as best courtesy runner in school history. never being picked off or caught stealing. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I go to a lot of games, spring, summer and fall. And I hear things sometimes that just make me shake my head. Last summer, at a tournament, I heard a mom tell another mom how her son should be the starting 3rd baseman but politics kept the other player playing. I had just seen the starting 3rd baseman, a D-1 signee and one of the top 40 prospects in the state, the week before at a showcase. The difference between the two players couldn't be more night and day. But that mom was convinced her son was better.

There's a right way to do anything, and we know that teenagers aren't very good communicators so sometimes a parent has to step in. A good approach would be to approach the coach during a very unemotional time...in other words, not right after a loss, or even a frustrating practice. Then, ask what does my son need to concentrate on to get better? Often, other parents can head this off. Usually, a disgruntled parent will gripe to other parents before they go to the coach. I usually ask them, "Okay, we put your son in the lineup. Who do we take out?" High School ball is not Little League and not every kid gets to play. On the other hand, the kids who don't play put in as much time in practice and traveling to games as the others, and it can get frustrating for the kid and their parents.

Good Post.

I've never been a proponent of "giving" little Johnny or Susie something.

Earn it!

Period!

There's a right way to do anything, and we know that teenagers aren't very good communicators so sometimes a parent has to step in. A good approach would be to approach the coach during a very unemotional time...in other words, not right after a loss, or even a frustrating practice. Then, ask what does my son need to concentrate on to get better? Often, other parents can head this off. Usually, a disgruntled parent will gripe to other parents before they go to the coach. I usually ask them, "Okay, we put your son in the lineup. Who do we take out?" High School ball is not Little League and not every kid gets to play. On the other hand, the kids who don't play put in as much time in practice and traveling to games as the others, and it can get frustrating for the kid and their parents.

I agree with you that some teenagers aren't very good at communicating with coaches etc. Part of that can be the Coaches' fault as well.

Let me share my own experience when I played ball in high school. ( a long time ago).

I felt I should be the starting linebacker on my high school team as a junior. At the start of spring practice, I wasn't and was disappointed to say the least. I discussed it with my Dad.

Here's what he did.

He invited the Coaching Staff over to our house. The Coaching Staff, Dad and me set out on the patio and discussed the situation. I think it was good that I was there instead of just my Dad going off on them.

Basically I was told what I needed to improve on and that they would help me, if I'd listen.

I did. Played College ball.

Thanks Dad for showing me the right way to approach it.

Take your kid with you to the meeting.

My high school coach always said he would be glad to talk to anyone's parents about anything under the sun EXCEPT for playing time. As soon as the topic was brought up, he would ask for the uniform.

I think high school kids are mature enough to form personal relationships with their own coaches. Coaches are there to teach life, not just sports, and I know even though I've graduated, I still love to go talk to my old ball coach and get advice or just talk about the braves.

I think respect was lost somewhere along the line. It's not a matter of better or worse, it's respect.

Most of the time, the kids on the team could make out the lineup card and the kid not playing knows exactly why he's not playing.

I don't agree exactly with the class hierarchy where playing time is concerned. The best should play. If that's a freshman and he's taking a senior's spot, so be it. There's no birthright involved. Play the best to win and treat them the same. Sure, there's freshman chores, but players and coaches should treat the team members the same when the game is being played.

The best idea I've heard about parent/coaches conferences is to schedule them during the schoolday and not in the middle of the infield after the game. If a parent wants to talk to the coach in private, schedule a conference and meet with the coach in private. Most adults don't have a problem communicating in such a manner.