UMPIRE FEEDBACK NEEDED

FridayMainEvent

"Double-planting", of course there is no advantage to their pitcher pitching from 39' and yours pitching from 40'. Trust me, I have seen it alot worse than that. How about the pitchers who double plant and then crow hop? There are a lot of them in high school ball.

By the way, I have never seen a "reputable" pitching instructor, teach a girl to step back. If you watch closely enough, they do not start stepping back until they get in high school.

I agree that "reputable" and pitching coach do not often go together. Too many times parents take their daughter to a pitching coach and that pitching coach charges them $35- 50 / half hour and all they do is teach them things that do not in anyway make sense especially when they are younger. For instance I heard one pitching coach tell a kid it was ok to leap, land and then push. While others are just concerned about getting them in and getting them out, never taking things like body type and height into consideration telling a 5' kid that they are going to be great at throwing riseballs. Riseballs typically are easier for taller pitchers to throw (not to say shorter pitchers can't just saying it is easier for taller kids). My point is they are just creating "pitching factories" and teaching and furthering poor pitching fundamentals. Then when one of them does something wrong in a game and the ump calls it she is done and does not know how to fix it. Then if the ump does not call it he/she is letting it happen and the cycle continues.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another rule we have mentioned before that is never inforced because I saw it repeatedly in Coffee county this weekend is landing outside the 24 in. width of the pitching rubber. Several of the girls on various teams were landing way outside the width of the pitching rubber primarily on screw balls. This gains a huge advantage in the amount of break a girl can put on the ball and was suppose to be a point of emphasis for the umpires this season. It should be an easy call for them to make as opposed to some of the other things we have discussed. If I'm looking right at the pitcher from behind the plate I know for a fact I can see where she lands. Also saw a couple of girls lift their pivot foot completely off the rubber as opposed to sliding it on the rubber prior to starting forward motion. Again, should be easy to see. This allows even more of a "rocking motion" for her to begin her pitch with.

There are a number of reputable pitching coaches around - Kim Dunlap, Michael Connell, Angela Sullivan, etc, just to name a few. They do a great job and teach legal pitching. I don't know of any teaching kids ot leap, land and push, but if they are, the "fix" for that is to avoid those coaches. They won't last very long without any customers.

I agree there are some reputable pitching coaches out there but for the most part they are out there just encouraging bad habits or teaching kids how to do things incorrectly and causing problems further down the line for the pitcher and inevitably the team they play for.

Another rule we have mentioned before that is never inforced because I saw it repeatedly in Coffee county this weekend is landing outside the 24 in. width of the pitching rubber. Several of the girls on various teams were landing way outside the width of the pitching rubber primarily on screw balls. This gains a huge advantage in the amount of break a girl can put on the ball and was suppose to be a point of emphasis for the umpires this season. It should be an easy call for them to make as opposed to some of the other things we have discussed. If I'm looking right at the pitcher from behind the plate I know for a fact I can see where she lands. Also saw a couple of girls lift their pivot foot completely off the rubber as opposed to sliding it on the rubber prior to starting forward motion. Again, should be easy to see. This allows even more of a "rocking motion" for her to begin her pitch with.

I have noticed a lot of the pitchers outside the rubber throwing screwballs and have seen it called a few times but not as much as it should be. The bad part is we are getting close to postseason play and you will see it called more, which ,in my opinion, is the real bad thing because now the kid has done it all year and they are just now getting penalized for it. It is easy to see it from behind the plate you can see the pitcher's feet and where they land it is especially easy to see a pitcher that leaps because you can almost see second base.

I have noticed a lot of the pitchers outside the rubber throwing screwballs and have seen it called a few times but not as much as it should be. The bad part is we are getting close to postseason play and you will see it called more, which ,in my opinion, is the real bad thing because now the kid has done it all year and they are just now getting penalized for it. It is easy to see it from behind the plate you can see the pitcher's feet and where they land it is especially easy to see a pitcher that leaps because you can almost see second base.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

In the first part of this topic, we are complaining because umpires don't call these illegal pitches. And let's not forget the coaches aren't correcting this either.

Now we get to post season, when usually the better umpires are assigned, and you're saying it's a bad thing that the umpires call it now. Make up your mind. Either you want it called or you don't. It doesn't matter when it's called.

Teach the girls to pitch within the rules and you won't have to worry about it.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

In the first part of this topic, we are complaining because umpires don't call these illegal pitches. And let's not forget the coaches aren't correcting this either.

Now we get to post season, when usually the better umpires are assigned, and you're saying it's a bad thing that the umpires call it now. Make up your mind. Either you want it called or you don't. It doesn't matter when it's called.

Teach the girls to pitch within the rules and you won't have to worry about it.

i think he means it is bad that in the post season it is called SINCE it isnt called during the year i think he wants it called all year...after it not being called all year then all of a sudden it is called is post season is what he is saying is wrong

i have a question for softball umpires....i was talking to a player for MTCS and her coach put the wrong number down beside her name..the name was correct but the number was wrong ...the umpires of the game called her out for every plate apperance after that...why is that in baseball that is just human error and you change the number on the line up since the name was right and there is no penalty to enforce what is the rule in softball?

i have a question for softball umpires....i was talking to a player for MTCS and her coach put the wrong number down beside her name..the name was correct but the number was wrong ...the umpires of the game called her out for every plate apperance after that...why is that in baseball that is just human error and you change the number on the line up since the name was right and there is no penalty to enforce what is the rule in softball?

"Officially" in baseball and softball all stats and batting order are reported through the number not the name. In both sports the officials are "supposed" to ask both coaches at the meeting at the plate before the game if the line ups are correct. After that there are to be no changes and any batter out of order or with incorrect information is to be out. The easy fix to not take an out is to substitute, then the batter in the line up will be correct. This may not be the best senerio as far as the athlete that you want on the field, but at least you don't have to take an out. Also you could put the correct number in the line up on the athlete in question if the athlete not corresponding to that number is not in the line up.(little confusing there, but I think you can get what I meen) There is always more than one way to skin a cat, but you may have to be a little creative from time to time.

It is suppose to be the opposing coaches responsibility to "catch" a player batting out of order. Who was MTCS playing when this happened and were they reporting the girl as batting out of order each time?

i am a tssaa official in chattanooga. I know for a fact, at least here, that rules are stictly enforced. If the teams around here see that you are repeatedly not making a call they will not hesitate to contact the the area UIC to get the problem solved. In our monthly meetings it is highly stressed to enforce all rules no matter what the circumstances. That is here in chatt. so i cant speak for other areas. We are also human and people make mistakes and it takes years and years to learn all of the rules and their interpretations. Maybe, the parents in the stands should do the training classes from now on??? Another bit of useful information is to never compare high school ball to summer ball, rules are so much different.

The crow hop thing about having to be an advantage is correct. If a pitcher is crow hopping and striking out batters, then i would call it but if she is doing it and walking batter after batter then whats the point?? which is why it does say in the asa rules that it must be an advantage to the pitcher. The reason is b/c, the crow hop is not taught anymore b/c it has been made illegal. So, if you do come across a pitcher who is TRULY crow hopping shell be throwing the ball all over the place. Most parents view of crow hopping is very very far from actual crow hopping. In order to do it, it takes lots and lots of practice. i have never seen a girl ever come close to crow hopping. bad mechanics? yes crow hopping? no

i am a tssaa official in chattanooga. I know for a fact, at least here, that rules are stictly enforced. If the teams around here see that you are repeatedly not making a call they will not hesitate to contact the the area UIC to get the problem solved. In our monthly meetings it is highly stressed to enforce all rules no matter what the circumstances. That is here in chatt. so i cant speak for other areas. We are also human and people make mistakes and it takes years and years to learn all of the rules and their interpretations. Maybe, the parents in the stands should do the training classes from now on??? Another bit of useful information is to never compare high school ball to summer ball, rules are so much different.

The crow hop thing about having to be an advantage is correct. If a pitcher is crow hopping and striking out batters, then i would call it but if she is doing it and walking batter after batter then whats the point?? which is why it does say in the asa rules that it must be an advantage to the pitcher. The reason is b/c, the crow hop is not taught anymore b/c it has been made illegal. So, if you do come across a pitcher who is TRULY crow hopping shell be throwing the ball all over the place. Most parents view of crow hopping is very very far from actual crow hopping. In order to do it, it takes lots and lots of practice. i have never seen a girl ever come close to crow hopping. bad mechanics? yes crow hopping? no

Dead gum Dude. You just contradicted yourself! You open by saying the rules are "strictly enforced". You then plainly state that crow-hopping has been made illegal, but you don't call it if the girl is walking a bunch of batters or not gaining advantage. The point we are all making is if it's an illegal pitch, call it illegal. You aren't doing anybody any favors by allowing a pitcher to do something illegal.