New Clay County High School 2003

ELA

There will be a new high school in Clay County starting in 2003. CLAY COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (being built across the Cumberland River just West of Celina) will replace the old Celina High School in August of 2003, so this will be the last year for the old Black and Gold records, stats, mascot, and the final RUN for the Bulldogs. The school board voted last Thursday to name the new school Clay County High School but no mascot or school colors have been determined. This will be an emotional last season for all of the coaches, players, and Celina alumni in all sports!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That part of the equation has not been determined, at least not that I know of? I heard some say, they will be able to attend if they want to on a voluntary basis, but who knows when, how, or if it will ever become a permanent thing! In an election year, I don't think those decisions can be made. We are just happy to have a new facility being built in the county!

Guest birdhunter

thanks for the info about clay co.

If the 2 schools were to consoladate it would strengthen a large jr. class for Celina which would give them alot more talent to choose from in the future..............

what are some of the possibilites for the new mascot?????

Here are sopme of the ideas the kids have been throwing around:

Golden Crusaders (old school name from the 40's)

Golden Knights (same theme)

Eagles (Old Moss School Mascot, also plentiful near lake)

Cougars

Lumberjacks (Local Logging Industry)

Bears

Boatman (Cumberland River)

Coon Hunters (Over-Half of the boys hunt racoons)

Racoons (same theme)

Blue Tick Hounds (same theme)

Longhunters

Fighting Irish

Statesmen (In Honor of the most famous historical Clay County Resident, the founder of the United Nations and Secretary of State during WWI).

Antwan... I can't speak for the other coaches, but you might be right about the move up; however, a lot of water will go under the bridge before that day arrives! I think everyone is really hoping the numbers stay below the 2A/1A cutoff!

Guest birdhunter

I belive they would probably stay in 2A because they would not won't to get in the same region as portland,hartsville,york and others..................

There are already 10 teams in our region. They would have to split the region or do something else. I don't know what they (tssaa) would do. Celina could take the place of York in the region. They could move York east to Kingston's region. As far as being in our region, I'll bet they would rather play us than have to travel to Nashville to play the privates. We, Smith County, used to have some great games with Celina several years ago.

[Edited by Antwan on 7/15/02 11:45P]