New Clay County High School 2003

ELA

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take it one day at a time... but who knows what will happen in Good Ole Clay County! I would think (from the football side of things) it would be preferable to play with the local teams we know (Trousdale, Jackson, York, Baxter, Livingston, Smith Co, etc.) than to be in a region with Goodpasture and D. Lipscomb, but that is putting the horse way ahead of the cart! We will cross that bridge when we come to it! As of right now, there is no official public policy about the merger of the two schools, but like Fish stated, everyone knows it will happen down the road. The question I have is when? Will it force us up a classification, or will we remain in 1A for another round? All I know is that for the next three years (2002-2003-2004) we will still be playing in Region 4-1A! Lord knows we have struggled at this level, much less jumping up to AAA!

Katel... you are correct! The new colors could be GOLD AND WHITE for all I care! If that would make the transition better, I'm all for it! Some have also suggested we call the new team the CLAY COUNTY CARDINALS since our youth football team already goes by that name.

I like most of the nicknames you mentioned, btw... except Fightin' Irish. I'm not overly familiar with Clay County history, but I imagine there are few Irish people and even fewer Catholics. I'd definitely stay away from Lions, Tigers, Bobcats, Wildcats, etc.

They may be closer to us than you (Smith Co, I assume), but that probably isn't true for Austin East, Fulton or Gibbs, and probably not for Loudon or Lenoir City. We and Scott High are the westernmost teams in our region. I guess they could create another region in the middle or something. Of course, if you didn't know already, I'm an advocate for 16-district brackets, anyway. That old region we were in was just stupid: LA, York, Scott, Kingston, Loudon, LC. Here's a possibility:

Move Scott High west with York, LA, etc. Move Kingston, Loudon, and LC south with Sequoyah, Walker Valley, and Howard. Move Grundy Co. and Portland West. Combine region 1 with the KFL 3A schools. Would that east half be better for you?

...or we could just expand region 4 to 12 teams, in 3 groups of 4, and play a 3+2+2 format...

[Edited by swamp on 7/20/02 3:13P]