Scores from the Coffee Co. Classic

chs4life

If it was a blind draw, there is no argument period. Everyone will have to get over it. If my memory serves me right (must admit it's slipp'n a little), it was blind draw in the past. A win is a win.

it was not a blind draw. the brackets were made up where the team comming out of the bottom of the bracket had a buy in the semifinals. the pools that played in the bottom of the braket were alreday determined before pool play began. CC's pool was in the lower 1/2, therefore giving them a bye in the semis if they got there. but hey, it was their tourney and they can set it up that way if they want. they still had to play 3 pool games and 4 games in the bracket. I left during the semis so i dont know what happened in the championship game, but would love to hear about it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was not a blind draw. the brackets were made up where the team comming out of the bottom of the bracket had a buy in the semifinals. the pools that played in the bottom of the braket were alreday determined before pool play began. CC's pool was in the lower 1/2, therefore giving them a bye in the semis if they got there. but hey, it was their tourney and they can set it up that way if they want. they still had to play 3 pool games and 4 games in the bracket. I left during the semis so i dont know what happened in the championship game, but would love to hear about it!

In Hendersonville last year they had themselves finishing all their pool games the day before the Saturday games while everybody else had to play at least one pool game Saturday morning that determined their seeding. Then they had the upper bracket ( where they were) playing a lesser number of games than the lower bracket to get to the championship game. ( 7 games vs 5) To top it all off they tried to have top teams who played each other in the same pool face off against each other in the second round of the tounament. ( these were teams they really didnt want to face) Now that is bracketology!

You know in Volleyball you have to send the teams into a central location, and they set the pool play and bracket. That prevents tournament bracketology. I dont know what to do to prevent the "soddy lake" syndrome that seems to be spreading.

I believe CHS4life will straighten this out. He has his fingers on the pulse of Coffee County and does a good job bringing forth information about every detail of their tournaments. Personally, I would be surprised of any partisan tactics displayed at this tournament given it's past reputation and all the media press along with radio coverage it has received.

You can bet they were not drawn blind! It wasnt just the fixed bracket that caused Mt. Mt. Juliet leave their trophy in the parking lot, a lot more happened in this game than is being told.

I watched a couple of games over there yesterday, but didn't stick around for the finals. I also would like to hear what happened during this game. You say "a lot more happened in this game than is being told." So tell it! I don't care what happened in the game, the "adults" responsible for this team are sending the wrong message by leaving the trophy in the parking lot. No matter whether you felt you got shafted at the tournament or not, you don't do stuff like that. Take the trophy with you and hit the nearest trash can after you leave if you wish, but don't let an action like that reflect badly on your school and kids.

I was there and watched the whole game. I'm not sure what exactly made the coach of MJ so mad other than losing, but one thing should be made clear. The coach left that trophy in the middle of the parking lot. The girls from MJ played hard and played with class. They even left the home side dugout for CC. After the game, two of their girls did collect the trophy and gave their congrads to the CC team. Both teams should be proud, it was a very long day, and they played well.

I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.

I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.

Horrible call. Making an accusation such as this without specific details is lame. You shouldn't throw things like this on a forum without specifics. Certainly, you can pontificate about your schools program but to make charges like these including thanking the umpire after the game is a cheap shot. The burden of proof is on you!

Again, I'm sure CHS4life will post here today and give the details of this game. I listen to their games most evenings. He shares all the info including details about MrNoitall and his posts while looking for him at their games. Proof that they are avid CoachT fans and concerned about getting the "real story" to the fans. I'm not aware of any other school with as much live coverage for their softball program. Proof that they are proud of their team and their standing in the community and I'm sure as concerned about how their character is portrayed amongst their peers here on CoachT. Sounds like this tourny was as exciting as advertised.

Maybe you miss under stood what I wrote, Horsetrainer. I stated that they did play with class. I don't believe for a minute that moving to the other dugout was based solely on the player??™s decision but was instigated by their coach. Very class move. CC had already moved to the other side, not expecting their generosity but was grateful for it. As for CC thanking the umpires for the call at home, that did not happen. The MJ team is a very good team, and from what I could see their coach is very good at what she does. I have no doubt they will make as appearance at state and do well there.

I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.I'm sure there was a reason why Coach Pedigo left the trophy. She is probably upset because the umpire made a horrible call at homeplate to HAND OVER the win to CC. MJ is a great program, she is an amazing coach, and she will fight to the end for her girls. Her actions weren't "unclassy"-- she made a statement. It really says something when the coaches and players are THANKING the umpires for his "great" call at home. It's ridiculous. That is unclassy. You can say what you want about MJ and Coach Pedigo-- They are great. She is great! Every player that comes out of Mj will tell how great of a coach and person she is. We haven't made it to state two years in a row with out a reason. She must be doing something right.

I was there also and the call in which you are referring to was a good call...CC Lady Raider Shelby Davis slid around the tag at home and it was a clear call....i am sure MJ is not accustomed to getting beat, especially by a "little 8AAA" but there is no excuse for leaving the trophy and acting as they did in the awards ceremony after the game...according to the players, MJ did not congratulate nor show an ounce of good sportsmanship. As for this tournament being "Fixed"...well the Coffee County Classic has always and will always be a class act..if it were fixed, and not for the TALENT of the CC Lady Raiders, then they would win this tourney more often wouldn't they??? Give me a break and teach the kids how to handle loss with class as well as you have taught them to win! I agree that it was a class move for the coach to give CC their home dugout but what happened after the game was ridiculous. Congrats again to you Lady Raiders and best of luck at district tourney!!

Maybe you miss under stood what I wrote, Horsetrainer. I stated that they did play with class. I don't believe for a minute that moving to the other dugout was based solely on the player??™s decision but was instigated by their coach. Very class move. CC had already moved to the other side, not expecting their generosity but was grateful for it. As for CC thanking the umpires for the call at home, that did not happen. The MJ team is a very good team, and from what I could see their coach is very good at what she does. I have no doubt they will make as appearance at state and do well there.

I dont know, leaving the second place trophy in the parking lot? I would say simply that she is sending a poor message to her team. A sore loser is a sore loser. Remember in 2004 or 2005 when Clifford Kirk's team lost the championship game in the state tournament and he and his team all refused to shake the winning teams hand? I put both of these situations in the same catagory. Poor sportsmanship.