MoWest Trojans Spring Topic

Friday's scrimmage was the first of the season. The team played Alcoa; I don't know if Alcoa is down this year, but West made them look that way. The game was a tie at 14 all but the score was somewhat deceiving- Alcoa's second touchdown came with the second team defensive line in the game. JJ Goforth rolled off an 80+ run for a touchdown and Sean Jones hooked up with Tyrell McKinney for 6 as well.

The team will be quarterbacked this year by Senior Sean Jones. Jones has waited his turn to command this team and with the graduation of Logan Wild, Jones will get his first look. Jones is a kid of great character and his arm strength and speed aren't bad either.

The tailbacks will be strong again too. JJ Goforth will get the bulk of the carries with Terrell Fredericks getting some totes in his spot. The team will rotate tailbacks to an extent and both will be good weapons.

The trio of fullbacks features no star but is one of the most solid units on the field. Jordan Bishop will see most of the time and will get most of the carries. Equally capable are Jordon Jones and Stephen Hotz. Bishop is the best runner, Hotz the best blocker and Jones somewhere in the middle of each.

The offensive line will be solid. This is perhaps the biggest question mark on the team- not because they're necessarily weak but if the offense is at all similar to that of past years, the team will live or die through the blocking of the five guys up front. Sisco and Morie anchor the tackle spots. I'll find out more about the line this week.

On defense, the strength of the team is going to be right up front and as strong as it's ever been. Nathan Bush and Alan Roach are two of the biggest and strongest guys to come through in a while. They will tear up opposing offensive lines. Anyone who saw Bush destroy the Morristown East offensive line last year as a Sophomore will know what he is capable of.

The linebacking corps will be strong with Phillip Cantwell anchoring the center. Cantwell is a big hitter and a good leader. The secondary will get strong play from Senior standout Cedric White.

It's early yet, but there's a storm brewing at West High School. I can't wait to see how well this team can come through on their early promise this fall.

Feel free to correct or add anything on here.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Alcoa was missing some starters. I do think if anyone was to get Alcoa it could be this year. Don't get me wrong Alcoa will still have a great shot of winning 2A. In 2009 and 2010 no one in 2A will stop them.

I have a feeling MOWest will bounce back big time this year.

I was at the scrimmage on saturday and the score was not tied at 14! Alcoa scored 6 times and MoWest scored 3 times! Alcoa started a little rough, but finished very well. When Alcoa scored on MoWest's second defense - it was Alcoa's second offense! The first offenses and defenses seemed to be pretty well matched, I wouldn't say "Alcoa must be down" - it didn't seem that way from where I was sitting!

I was at the scrimmage on saturday and the score was not tied at 14! Alcoa scored 6 times and MoWest scored 3 times! Alcoa started a little rough, but finished very well. When Alcoa scored on MoWest's second defense - it was Alcoa's second offense! The first offenses and defenses seemed to be pretty well matched, I wouldn't say "Alcoa must be down" - it didn't seem that way from where I was sitting!

I was at the game too and I saw Alcoa score several times when West had their scrubs in. Alcoa scored twice on West's first team defense and West scored twice on Alcoa's first team defense. If you want to count scoring on the second and third teamers, I think that is a bit of a stretch. I was told that Alcoa had 14 or 15 starters back, but had two held out on offense. West had two out as well. No doubt Alcoa will be a force this year as they always are, but it looks like West may be back to their old form.

I was at this scrimmage as well. To say Alcoa will be down next year is a little premature. Down that particular Friday would be a correct statement. Couple of facts here: 1) Alcoa was short 4 or 5 starters on defense and at least 4 on offense due to a combination of baseball, track and soccer. To be clear, all of Alcoa's team speed on offense and defense was not there. Also important was the fact that the defensive MVP from last years's state championship game was on the baseball field. 2) All of Alcoa's TDs were scored against the MW first team D. I was on the sidelines and observed MW subs. Both the Alcoa and MW coaches called the ones to the field and the MW 1s were scored upon by the Alcoa 1s both times. #1 above was clearly demonstrated by the fact that Alcoa brought 35 players while MW fielded 80-90 players. The entire scrimmage was tightly controled by both coaching staffs to ensure 1s V 1s and 2s v 2s or lower. My attention was focused on the matchups up front. There was no mixing observed other than injury subsitutions. The Alcoa 2s did score 5 TDs against the 2 TDs for the WM 2s. However, this does not apply when measuring team strength. Only 1s v 1s need apply.

Fact of the matter is a 2A school with less than a full team of starters gave you a good test. In fact, it was 14-0 until you came back with two scores. Based upon what I observed, MW will fare well next year in the upper East TN region. However, you are still not in Maryville Rebels' class yet. Although I wish you well, let's face the facts MW fans - you had better be measuring yourself against the 4A titan of titans before you start getting too excited. Not a 2A school at less than full strength this particular scrimmage.

Most importantly, the MW players, coaches and fans were great hosts and made Alcoa feel very welcome. A class act all the way! Good luck next year Trojans!

Ok.....you just said Alcoa scored 5 times on the 2s????

Wow....I have the tape of the scrimmage, that didn't happen haha.

Get some thicker lens in your glasses man.

ksetrojan60,

How many scores total did Alcoa have, and how many for MW? Again total?

How many players did Alcoa have at the scrimmage, and how many did MW have?

Thanks

Sorry perfect eyesight here. What was the score by your take? Bottom line is the Tornado 2/3s significantly outscored the MW 2/3s. Not trying to be mean here - just the facts. Maybe you were getting some water or being taped and missed one or two. Does it really matter at this stage? Forget the twos and threes when measuring your team this year. Like I said - 1s v 1s is the real measuring stick.

Good luck next year!

• 2 weeks later...