Early Picks for State Champion.

RiverCityRage

The path to the championship game is tough, but I wouldn't be surprised to see these two playing for the title.

I was wondering........I thought I read they were probably the best team in west tennessee so far......I saw where Gant of usj beat them, but I heard he was outstanding

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering........I thought I read they were probably the best team in west tennessee so far......I saw where Gant of usj beat them, but I heard he was outstanding

Gant is really good. Probably even outstanding but he isn't a phenom. He is USJ's ace but he has been beaten this year so he is beatable. Bartlett didn't hit the ball well that night (it was very cold) and it was a tight 3-2 ballgame.

Bartlett is very good. They only lost one everday starting senior but they did lose 4 of the 6 pitchers they had last year that pitched in the state tournament. They are currently ranked 6th in the nation by The Baseball Coaches Association. I would say they or Farragut are the teams to beat.

Bartlett's pitching is as strong if not stonger than last years group. Much deeper. Their pitchers were keeping all the games close in the losses expect one. Their bats were not as hot in the early season as they have been because of the slow start due to all the rain and cancelled games. And they saw some very good pitching early in the season. Now the bats are going, the key is to play error free ball.

Bartlett's pitching is as strong if not stonger than last years group. Much deeper. Their pitchers were keeping all the games close in the losses expect one. Their bats were not as hot in the early season as they have been because of the slow start due to all the rain and cancelled games. And they saw some very good pitching early in the season. Now the bats are going, the key is to play error free ball.

Oh I would imagine everyone is beatable....they are just kids, but I am glad to hear Bartlett is playing good.......To the fellow who said he would pay to see Bartlett and Farragut......If you are breathing you will........just ask the gate keepers..........from birth to death is what they told me last year

Their pitching is going to have to be stronger and deeper, because while they have hit the ball well this year, they have not at all hit it like they did last year. Their homeruns are down by about 30 from this time last season and they aren't scoring at will like they were last year. The pitching is going to be key for them this year. I still think its between them and Farragut but anything can happen.

Gant is really good. Probably even outstanding but he isn't a phenom. He is USJ's ace but he has been beaten this year so he is beatable. Bartlett didn't hit the ball well that night (it was very cold) and it was a tight 3-2 ballgame.

Didn't hit the ball well is an understatement - one hit if I'm not mistaken (it was a bomb though) and 12 or 13 K's ??? Don't get me wrong, I think Bartlett is a great team and I would love to see them repeat this year, but don't pretend that Gant cannot dominate a game. Yeah, he lost one game to a good CBHS team. If he is not a phenom, tell me one in West Tennessee that is consistently better ??

Didn't hit the ball well is an understatement - one hit if I'm not mistaken (it was a bomb though) and 12 or 13 K's ??? Don't get me wrong, I think Bartlett is a great team and I would love to see them repeat this year, but don't pretend that Gant cannot dominate a game. Yeah, he lost one game to a good CBHS team. If he is not a phenom, tell me one in West Tennessee that is consistently better ??

I agree. Clayton is definately a stud pitcher, and has been since he started winning high school games by throwing in the high eighties.....in the eighth grade. As I understand it, his granddaddy, daddy, older brother, younger brother, and even his mama are all accomplished pitchers. The sweet thing about Clayton Gant is he has a pitcher's mentality, and he owns the mound when he steps on it. Bartlett's team is awesome, and well respected, but don't shake off that loss as just having a bad night. Clayton has been making bad days and nights for lots of folks for several years. I hate to see him graduate but I do look forward to hearing about his pitching up on the hill in Knoxville next year. USJ to SEC. Sort of has a nice ring to it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And as a prediction for next week, USJ has a very young, yet strong team and is my pick for State champion 2A! Go Dyer & Co!

I agree. Clayton is definately a stud pitcher, and has been since he started winning high school games by throwing in the high eighties.....in the eighth grade. As I understand it, his granddaddy, daddy, older brother, younger brother, and even his mama are all accomplished pitchers. The sweet thing about Clayton Gant is he has a pitcher's mentality, and he owns the mound when he steps on it. Bartlett's team is awesome, and well respected, but don't shake off that loss as just having a bad night. Clayton has been making bad days and nights for lots of folks for several years. I hate to see him graduate but I do look forward to hearing about his pitching up on the hill in Knoxville next year. USJ to SEC. Sort of has a nice ring to it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And as a prediction for next week, USJ has a very young, yet strong team and is my pick for State champion 2A! Go Dyer & Co!

Normally, I would not agree with any lawman out there, but tonight you took the words out of my mouth. USJ all the way! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />