Wing-T Football

Good lord, give me that and I can run any kind of offense with success!

As I have said before - I have watched very few teams run it properly IMO. On it's own I will continually say it will not win now in 4A or 5A. Run the hybrids of it and you have my interest.

Hey Sol. SP runs some modified T along with a little classic T. We also throw in some gun out of which we also run some wing T stuff along with zone and passing. I think a team that runs a straight textbook wing T will have troubles when the talent is similar. If you can't pass effectively the T is much easier to defend. If we did not have the gun when we played Tyner I believe we would have lost. In a couple of the playoff games the gun made the difference too. Come watch us this year if you think last years offense was exciting...this one could be very interesting if the O line comes together.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wing T is a great offense. At Lancaster Christian, we run the Double Wing. It's more old fashioned and boring than the wing T. These offenses are time tested and proven. If you don't think these offenses can win in 5A don't tell Clovis East in California. You guys should check them out on YouTube. They are beating schools that have as many as 10 division 1 prospects each. This is big time 5A California football and Coach Tim Murphy is getting it done with the Double Wing Double Tight Offense. He even took his team down to Midland Lee, Texas and beat their spread with this old, ugly offense. It's based on double teams, multiple pullers, and of course misdirection. These offenses aren't popular today but they can be very effective when the details are properly coached. God Bless

Coach

Hey Sol. SP runs some modified T along with a little classic T. We also throw in some gun out of which we also run some wing T stuff along with zone and passing. I think a team that runs a straight textbook wing T will have troubles when the talent is similar. If you can't pass effectively the T is much easier to defend. If we did not have the gun when we played Tyner I believe we would have lost. In a couple of the playoff games the gun made the difference too. Come watch us this year if you think last years offense was exciting...this one could be very interesting if the O line comes together.

The wing T is a great offense. At Lancaster Christian, we run the Double Wing. It's more old fashioned and boring than the wing T. These offenses are time tested and proven. If you don't think these offenses can win in 5A don't tell Clovis East in California. You guys should check them out on YouTube. They are beating schools that have as many as 10 division 1 prospects each. This is big time 5A California football and Coach Tim Murphy is getting it done with the Double Wing Double Tight Offense. He even took his team down to Midland Lee, Texas and beat their spread with this old, ugly offense. It's based on double teams, multiple pullers, and of course misdirection. These offenses aren't popular today but they can be very effective when the details are properly coached. God Bless

Coach

I have heard several people refer to the Wing T as boring. I understand that this is spoken of from a fans perspective, but I think football coaches would agree the Wing T, when run correctly, is beautiful. The two tight double wing is very hard to defend from a schematic stand point. You can't load up a side and you have to play very disciplined football to contend with it.

If you want to watch the wing-t ran correctly, watch Navy or Air Force run it. They do many great with this offense. I believe that it is safe to say they are out matched at every position on the field, but with their ability to keep the defenses off balance with their rocket, mid-line, and option game, they give even the most athletic teams fits. I believe that if it can work at this level of college ball, it can work at the 4A and 5A level.

I recently posted this question on the 5A website under the premise of "Wing-T in 5A football." I did it because I have repeatedly heard people who don't like the Wing-T mention how no 5A football team has ever won the title in a Wing-T system. The topic turned into an insult fest which was not what I wanted to hear. I want to hear coaches who know and believe in the system describe, defend, or even debate their faith in the Wing-T. I would also like to hear the other side of the story, knowledgable and succesful coaches who don't care for the Wing.

I have grown to like the Wing-T as I have had to plan on how we would defend it. The kids I coach responded well to the scheme I designed and shut down and out the teams we have played in the Wing. I am realistic however, the teams we play are Middle School kids who are running a limited Wing-T. The books and videos, however, from Denny Creehan, Ted Kempski, Tubby Raymond have shown me a very different Wing T, one in which the pass is as important as the run. I also like the modifications that Bruce Cobleigh has made (he uses west coast principles to aid in his game). My only concerns about the Wing-T are that it is complicated, different from most other offenses (meaning you need to bring kids up in it, as opposed to plugging in athletes), and if you can't pass out of it seems like a loaded box is impossible to deal with. I would like to hear from proponents and opponents of the wing.

Go visit Cumberland University and Coach Alexander, ask for a copy of offensive cut-ups of the Hybrid Wing-T he gave to coaches who attended the coaching clinic. Also Coach Wes Elrod at Wilson Central would be happy to show you everything about the Hybrid Wing-T. He also has a web site you can visit. It is Jetsweep.com.

Like others have mentioned, the Wing-T forces a team to be disciplined and read. It slows down defenders a tad because of its misdirection. It forces secondaries to have to help more than normal against the runnin game. Mixed in with some mid-line and/or veer can be absolutely nightmarish to defend, especially if they can execute their boots and waggles and throwin game as well as their runnin game.

Not all the teams mentioned here run the wing-t. Yes, they may line up with double wings or a wing/slot but they are often times running I plays out of it.

Any offense that's going to be successful has to be well executed and have good blocking.

Coach

I have heard our head coach talk about clovis east and tim murphy. I believe this may be the version of the wing t we will be running. Looked like it in the spring. VERY VERY physical style of play.

I agree, the Wing T cannot win at the upper levels. Just don't tell Bellevue, who defeated De La Salle 39-20 in 2004. The talent should have been pretty much even or tipped in the favor of De LaSalle.

I agree with Solomon the Hybrid is more fun to watch. Best source for Hybrid stuff at Wilson Central. I look for them to make a run. No one thought they would do anything last year, but they ended up winning 10 games losing to Smyrna twice.

Our version of the offense is absolutely fun to watch.............we scrimmaged Independence (state runner-up in 2008 and a spread team) and looked pretty good I thought. Our old coach (Elrod) brought this offense over from Cumberland about 4-5 years ago and taught it to our previous coach - Alexander. He left with Alexander and went back to Cumberland; He then came back last year and we ran it again in a very tough 5A region; we are fun to watch!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Our version of the offense is absolutely fun to watch.............we scrimmaged Independence (state runner-up in 2008 and a spread team) and looked pretty good I thought. Our old coach (Elrod) brought this offense over from Cumberland about 4-5 years ago and taught it to our previous coach - Alexander. He left with Alexander and went back to Cumberland; He then came back last year and we ran it again in a very tough 5A region; we are fun to watch!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Absolutely fun to watch. I think Wilson Central is one of the more fun teams to watch in the whole state. Of couse this from a guy whose favorite play is Midline (Miami). Wes Elrod is a great coach and you'll are lucky to have him. I have all of his material and think it is the best value out there.

I agree, the Wing T cannot win at the upper levels. Just don't tell Bellevue, who defeated De La Salle 39-20 in 2004. The talent should have been pretty much even or tipped in the favor of De LaSalle.

I agree with Solomon the Hybrid is more fun to watch. Best source for Hybrid stuff at Wilson Central. I look for them to make a run. No one thought they would do anything last year, but they ended up winning 10 games losing to Smyrna twice.

The Wing T most certainly does work at the higher levels. When Ron Adeyylot was at Hillsboro they ran a version of the wing t and it worked. Also Riverdale now is running the wing t and had alot of sucess until they got beat by another wing t team Wilson Central. The wing t is like any other offense in that everyone runs their own version. In the wing t a team can neutralize the other teams LB's by faking them out all night. If a wing t team can run the inside trap sucesssfuly and compliment that with the buck sweep then a team is in for a long night. The genious of the wing t is that plays build of each other. Also it is a great offense for teams with fast guards and smaller lineman. However where I think so called wing t teams mess up is you have to be able to throw the ball with play action. Roll the QB out and give him the option to run or pass. Run three verticles on the same side with the TE and wing and wideout. Motion to some formations. The flood route is one of the best in football.

The Wing T most certainly does work at the higher levels. When Ron Adeyylot was at Hillsboro they ran a version of the wing t and it worked. Also Riverdale now is running the wing t and had alot of sucess until they got beat by another wing t team Wilson Central. The wing t is like any other offense in that everyone runs their own version. In the wing t a team can neutralize the other teams LB's by faking them out all night. If a wing t team can run the inside trap sucesssfuly and compliment that with the buck sweep then a team is in for a long night. The genious of the wing t is that plays build of each other. Also it is a great offense for teams with fast guards and smaller lineman. However where I think so called wing t teams mess up is you have to be able to throw the ball with play action. Roll the QB out and give him the option to run or pass. Run three verticles on the same side with the TE and wing and wideout. Motion to some formations. The flood route is one of the best in football.

Gambler I was being sarcastic. I very much think the traditional wing-t can still win at the upper levels. If a team spends time perfecting one series and then moving on to a new series they will be more successful than those that just put in plays that look good. What bothers me with a lot of traditional wing-t teams is that they don't seem to try to put the defense in a conflict. It is almost as if they are calling plays at random and not reading defensive reactions. In my opinion the traditional wing-t is a lot like the option but instead of the QB reading a defensive player the coaches read the defense and make play calls accordingly.

I prefer to watch the hybrid wing-t because it is more exciting to watch, but it is morphing into a different animal. It combines wing-t, spread option, West Coast and more recently single wing principals into a confusing array of attacks. I don't think that any offense is superior to any other, each has strengths and weaknesses. Personally watching a bad air raid attack (QB tends to spend more time on his butt) is more boring than watching grass grow but a well executed one can be very fun to watch.

I got to see some of Fyffe Alabama's wing-t attack and I thought it was one of the finest and best executed offenses I have ever seen in HS football. Coach Benefield led some talented kids all the way to the 2007 Alabama 2A Championship game. On the other hand their defense was also top notch.