Wing-T Football

Elrod at Wilson Central is the Hybrid Wing guy He does clinics all over the country on the offense. I saw them last year in the playoff game at Riverdale and they were wicked. I really thought they might go all the way at the time. What they were running did not look like any Wing-T that I have ever seen. They had shifts and motion and all kind of misdirection. I absolutely like what they do!

We like our our offense and we are not bad on the other side either. Go "ThugKitties" (LOL)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that this long wing-t discussion has taken place without one mention of Hershel Moore. He is the current day authority on the wing-t. He has a version of the wing-t offense which has continually evolved for 60 years. The man is amazing, asked Coach Elrod who he would go to for questions about the offense.

I can't believe that this long wing-t discussion has taken place without one mention of Hershel Moore. He is the current day authority on the wing-t. He has a version of the wing-t offense which has continually evolved for 60 years. The man is amazing, asked Coach Elrod who he would go to for questions about the offense.

Coach Moore is great, but he is not out there as much and Elrod is. I think there stuff is pretty similar except Moore numbers holes differently and other minor differences here and there. Both use the roll over count for sweeps and are philosophically similar in their offense.

The only thing I don't like about the Wing-T is that it can be stopped and most of the time, wing-t teams don't have a very adequate back-up plan. When the other team has your number and can, whether it be a sceme or just better players, stop their breaqd and butter, what is their counter-punch?

Many of the pros and cons mentioned are the same with any offense. If you stop other offenses bread and butter you are going to beat them. The wing t is a good offense. I run the hybrid wing and guarantee it is not that easy to stop. Many of you "gurus" that are on these boards spit out garbage that you hear from others but don't have a clue how to actually stop it. The Wing T is packaged in series that call for an inside play, perimeter play, misdirection, and play action pass off the same back field motions. Stop one and something else is coming. Just like the veer give it time and it will work. This also goes for most offenses when run and called correctly. As for the comment about better players, the wing t's misdirection and ball control gives you an advantage but if there are better athletes on the field that are coached well it is not really going to matter.

I coached for 3 years in Fresno in Clovis East's conference. They are the real deal, each school in that conference has at least 2,500-3,200 kids. That offense is as boring as can be. They had toyed with Spread Stuff, but when it came to nut cuttin' time, that double wing is tough. A few years earlier Clovis West took that "textbook" Wing to to Massilon Ohio and beat them.

Another poster had it right when he said that people who think that you can't win in high classifications here are ignorant.

My brother played for the Mclean Highlanders back in 1978. They had a stud running back, Vestte Jackson. Went on to play at WSU then the Chicago Bears. Awesome band, actually had about 10 bagpipe players in High School.

Let me put it this way. I wished I played a wing T team every week. Its alot easier to stop than the spread.

Coach, what are you referring to when you say spread? I hear the word spread used constantly to describe a particular offense but they are all different. Spread in my opinion is a system for creating space for athletes to run in. There are many types of offenses that attempt to spread the field and create space.

Air Raid -Hal Mumme and Mike Leach popularized the offense at Kentucky with the aid of QB Tim Couch. This is basically the traditional set up the run with the pass concept. Pass until the defense abandons the box then run the ball in space. Spread achieved by use of 3 or more wide receivers.

June Jones when at Hawaii used the Mouse Davis Run and Shoot which also tries to spread the defense by using a combination of the run and pass.

Gun Zone Option made famous by Rich Rodriguez while at WVU another form of a spread offense.

The Flexbone Option of Navy and Air Force. Some people don't think of this as a spread offense but it does seek to spread the field and pose a four vertical strike threat.

You have Gun Jet and Fly Sweep teams that try to spread the field and get their fast running backs on an island quicker.

Gun Triple Option just recently developed by Tony Demeo.

The Spread Single Wing thanks to Urban Mayer in my opinion.

The Wing T is beginning to use spread principals in their attack and with some success. (See Wes Elrod)

The Wing T can be easy for coaches to defend because they have been doing it for so long. It is probably the offense for more teams than any other single offense so coaches spend and have spent a great deal of time preparing for it. The Hybrid would be a little more difficult for teams to defend since it utilizes so many different principals in its attack. Even a really well run traditional Wing T has enough answers for defensive reactions that it is hard to defend. Ask teams that had to play South Pittsburgh how easy it was to stop them, Wilson Central had a good season, Riverdale wasn't anyone that could be taken lightly, and Fyffe, Alabama made it to the state and lost in a close one. The various spread offenses are relatively new and will get figured out and then something else will fill the void. The reason I believe this is because when I view material for defense it does a good job of teaching how to defeat a down block or a trap block but have little on techniques for defeating a zone block. With Delaware out of the picture, the Wing T has begun to evolve into something else. I would say that within ten years you will have several flavors of Wing T. Right now I classify the Wing T as Traditional, Hybrid, or the Double Wing.

Bob Leach won a lot of games with it in the late 70-80's at 3A the highest level back then.

Took a team that every team had scheduled for homecoming to a 9-2 team. Our line averaged about 160 back then but we had 3 great backs. Without the wing we could not have beat teams like Severville and other large teams.

If I remember correctly all 3 backs had over 1k yds and our QB had over 800. It was hard to stop.

The only thing I don't like about the Wing-T is that it can be stopped and most of the time, wing-t teams don't have a very adequate back-up plan. When the other team has your number and can, whether it be a sceme or just better players, stop their breaqd and butter, what is their counter-punch?

We have a decent passing game to keep the other team honest. We also mix in some gun with 2 wides and a slot. Tends to open things up a little. Without the gun I'm not sure we would have beaten Tyner

We have a decent passing game to keep the other team honest. We also mix in some gun with 2 wides and a slot. Tends to open things up a little. Without the gun I'm not sure we would have beaten Tyner

Zone, Old Pirate says email Coach Switser and have him bring his boys down for a fall scrimmage. See how well he can back up that big talk.

Perhaps he's a genius perhaps not.............one way to find out.

OP says SP is not your regular ho-hum offensive team. It would be interesting to go up against a self confessed real ole time defensive guu...ru.