SP 4 Championship Teams,69,94,99,07

OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate says this is truely a tough vote and OP will hold his vote till later.

The List:

1.69,undefeated team led by all purpose legend Jimmy Wigfall

2.94, once beaten team led by Perry Hutchins QB & Corey Tipton TB

3.99, undefeated team led by Mr.Speed Merchant-Sam Picket, Tim Starkey

4.07, undefeated team led by Robert Robinson, Cody Robinson

Yeh, OP knows each team had other key players.

69 team,OL with David Hale,Terry Everett,Willis Mayfield

backfield-Donald Blansett,Charles Garner, Steve Smith

Ends Bobby Joe Ford, Billy Berryhill

94 team, OL Daniel Berryhill,Vincent Banks, Wesley Stone, Marcus

Banks,Ends-Michael Grider, Michael McCarver

99 team,Arron Chambers,Matt Blansett,Matt Stone,Michael Griffith,Ronnie

Griffith,Jonathan Haskew,Eric Reames

07 team,OL Dominique Garrett,TonyRoden,McCamey,backfield David Jones,

Montrell Mitchell, Kartez Bibbs,Ends Weatherspoon,Ty Robinson,

Chase Robinson

The Point is which do you think was the best team? Vote & give your reasons to support your choice, even if it is Great Grand Pappy's handed down memories/facts.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing tough about this pick: 1969 team, hands down. Undefeated season when Tennessee had only three classifications, pulled out a hugh rivalry win at MC (Eddie Brown & Co.) in one of the best all time SP/MC games ever IMO, and for all the players you named plus William Parker and Mike McGraw (two guys so tough they wouldn't hesitate to mess with Geno in a dark alley). Sorry Geno, just having a little fun with that last part. Still remember the final game headline: TPS (WIG)FALLS TO SOUTH PITTSBURG.

Nothing tough about this pick: 1969 team, hands down. Undefeated season when Tennessee had only three classifications, pulled out a hugh rivalry win at MC (Eddie Brown & Co.) in one of the best all time SP/MC games ever IMO, and for all the players you named plus William Parker and Mike McGraw (two guys so tough they wouldn't hesitate to mess with Geno in a dark alley). Sorry Geno, just having a little fun with that last part. Still remember the final game headline: TPS (WIG)FALLS TO SOUTH PITTSBURG.

I was a Bouncer for years lol ive had enough of William Parker lol

One thing for sure and that is we were the best those years for sure and I don't think it's fair to compare these mighty great championship teams, they were all great. Some better on offense,some on defense,some special teams, get my drift. I can say that I have watched all four state teams at one time or the other and that 07 team is the fastest in the history of the school!

Old Pirate says, nohope you just help prove an earlier comment by OP.

"AN OLD PIRATE IN" most SP fans, even the ones that has jumped the fence! OP could update the list of players with additional names on each team. OP just starts getting dizzy burning up too many brains cell too quickly.

Thought it was kinda funny that Geno said the 08 Team...Isnt the thread the 4 state championship teams? Lol, Geno my man I thought you always stayed on topic..Anyways my picks would go something like this...

Best Offense (Most Speed)- 07

Best Defense (Very Tough)-94

Best Team (Played together the best)- 99

Meanest Team- 69

Good post. The '94 Pirate team wouldn't have made the play-offs under the rules the '69 Pirates played under. In fact, the 1970 and 1971 Pirates were 9-1 in the regular season and sat at home. There was however still A, AA, AAA when the '94 Pirates won it and their only loss was to the AA state Champs *cough*Jasper*cough* in a close game so maybe one could argue that angle for the '94 team to be the best as well. Plus the '94 team broke the drought of 3 runner-up and 2 or 3 semi-final seasons. (Even if '86 was stolen).

Good post. The '94 Pirate team wouldn't have made the play-offs under the rules the '69 Pirates played under. In fact, the 1970 and 1971 Pirates were 9-1 in the regular season and sat at home. There was however still A, AA, AAA when the '94 Pirates won it and their only loss was to the AA state Champs *cough*Jasper*cough* in a close game so maybe one could argue that angle for the '94 team to be the best as well. Plus the '94 team broke the drought of 3 runner-up and 2 or 3 semi-final seasons. (Even if '86 was stolen).

Yeah, I missed all the early '70 teams (US Army) and try to forget that '94 Westmoreland pic (another MC - SP classic). Other posters are right, just no way to fairly compare all these teams. A few of the ones that fell just short were likely as good or better than teams that won it all. I always lean toward that '69 team because: 1. They were first 2. Wigfall 3. They were tough and confident 4. Were willing to play the championship game "nikked" if necessary (I just love that quote), 5. Many were just plain mean (I believe one player actually tried to do another in later on in life. Now thats just plain mean.)

I hope the '08 Pirate team is able to duplicate that '94 teams success, right down to the single loss. Good luck.

Yeah, I missed all the early '70 teams (US Army) and try to forget that '94 Westmoreland pic (another MC - SP classic). Other posters are right, just no way to fairly compare all these teams. A few of the ones that fell just short were likely as good or better than teams that won it all. I always lean toward that '69 team because: 1. They were first 2. Wigfall 3. They were tough and confident 4. Were willing to play the championship game "nikked" if necessary (I just love that quote), 5. Many were just plain mean (I believe one player actually tried to do another in later on in life. Now thats just plain mean.)

I hope the '08 Pirate team is able to duplicate that '94 teams success, right down to the single loss. Good luck.

Nohope, Old Pirate says here you go..... trying to put a curse of the 08 Pirates We kinda was thinking we were pulling you back "under" that fence. We know you would have to do it after dark. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

OP says 1 things stands out......Wig would have been a star on any of the championship teams.

Actually in 94 there was 5 classifications...