Riverdale-Blackman Region Photos

snapman

actually there is a rue that says any incidental use of vulgar or profane lanuguage shall be cautioned (yellow card). Section 8 Art. 1. As a NFHS Referee and USSF Referee, and have refereed high schools games this year, most of the time boys are given a verbal warning then a yellow card for words such as "a double s", sh_t, da_n etc... There was no need to give a straight red to this player for "a double ss" and TSSAA needs to clarify which words are considered vulgar or profance language, this way there is no "in the opinion of the referee" judgement.

I agree. Unfortunately, the problem will still be there in the form of selective hearing. And that can be the only reason more cards weren't handed out this year. Numerous times this season at just about every game the wind had carried those words (and much worse) high into the stands for all to hear. I'm surprised that some of these same officials didn't faint from dismay during the girls season. There are usually more references to female dogs during a ladies soccer game than an AKC meeting.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidental use of vulgar or profane language should just be a yellow card. However insulting, offensive or abusive language draws a red. Yet I've never heard anyone define the difference between vulgar and offensive. And who has to be offended? What's offensive or vulgar or profane or insulting to one person may not be offensive or vulgar or profane or insulting to another.

And not sure that the difference between incidental and directed may even be a factor. While the rules mention "incidental" use of language, the rules simply say the "using" of insulting, profane or abusive language. So even incidental language could be deemed offensive or insulting, and therefore result in a red card being properly given. Its doesn't have to be "directed" at anyone to draw the red card.

As a referee, I try to look at most language calls in context of the play. What prompted the language, was it said outloud so all around could hear it; was it directed at anyone; has there been any previous warnings; what's happening in the game; what's the score; what kind of game is it, etc. The only word that usually draws a red from me consistently without warning is the "f" word. Additionally, I'm very quick to give a red for racial slurs of any variety. No leeway or 1st warnings there.

And I don't think you'll see NFHS or TSSAA giving a list of no card, yellow card and red card words, because any of them could become vulgar, profane offensive, insulting or abusive - given a particular scenario. Right or wrong, the referees will probably be left with making the determination as to how they perceive language on the field.

Best advice to players. Don't say anything that could be mistaken for a language issue.

oknative,

I agree with everything you said.

This game was a regional final, and I can say without a doubt or bias, that this red card should not have been given. Who knows what the outcome would have been with both teams having a full roster on the pitch, but the outcome without any doubt was influenced by the red card and Blackman having to play a mand down for 80 minutes was not just! This was not abusive or insulting, this person saying what he said, was talking to his teenage friend and teammate, not the opponent, not the referee, not the sideline, his own teammate and friend. Yes, I know a person can be abusive or vulgar to his own teammate! This was not the case. No matter what people say about that particular rule, it were not enforced this season, like it was in this game.

Well I guess my previous post was to vulgar so I'll tone it down. HAHA. In NFHS any language directed at an opponent, official, coach, trainer, TEAMMATE is to be considered for disqualification. Only in USSF is it only a send off if you direct it at an opponent. The referee in this scenario was right.

The referee did not effect the outcome of the game, the player in which who said the language was walking a fine line of "maybe testing what the referee would do" but just figured "I can say it since it is to my teammate. The referee probably felt that for the best interest of the game the player should be disqualified.

NFHS is all the idea of sportsmanship in every aspect of the game; no matter if it's towards an opponent or teammate. There is no place for that sent that the player said in the game of soccer on the high school level.

You can agree to disagree on this but the official who worked that game was probably one if not the best in that area. And I would probably put money on that he will be working the state tournament and probably does some college level officiating.

You can agree to disagree on this but the official who worked that game was probably one if not the best in that area. And I would probably put money on that he will be working the state tournament and probably does some college level officiating.

I will vote on the disagree since that same OFFICIAL gave the Riverdale coach ONLY a yellow card for saying "G** D**N It"

Call it both ways as we so often hear in the stands....

To be one of the best in the area as an official you need to be UNBIASED - Definition from Merriam-Webster ( I especially like the synonyms part /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Main Entry: un?·bi?·ased

Function: adjective

Date: 1607

1: free from bias; especially : free from all prejudice and favoritism : eminently fair

2: having an expected value equal to a population parameter being estimated

synonyms see fair

Well I guess my previous post was to vulgar so I'll tone it down. HAHA. In NFHS any language directed at an opponent, official, coach, trainer, TEAMMATE is to be considered for disqualification. Only in USSF is it only a send off if you direct it at an opponent. The referee in this scenario was right.

The referee did not effect the outcome of the game, the player in which who said the language was walking a fine line of "maybe testing what the referee would do" but just figured "I can say it since it is to my teammate. The referee probably felt that for the best interest of the game the player should be disqualified.

NFHS is all the idea of sportsmanship in every aspect of the game; no matter if it's towards an opponent or teammate. There is no place for that sent that the player said in the game of soccer on the high school level.

Blankguy, actually the NFHS rule book states that simply "using" the language is enough for disqualification. It DOES NOT have to be directed at anyone to draw a red. Imagine a player missing a goal and yelling - at no one - several expletives. It may be incidental, but its also offensive. Red Card, despite being incidental and not directed at anyone.

The point of the previous post was that there's a lot of leeway for referees to use a lot of judgement, either way, with regards to the multiple rules dealing with language. Personally, I'm pretty tough on language so don't have any issue with ANY card for language. Players know the rules - they shouldn't be trying to test the definitions of the rules or the differences between yellow, red or yellow/red.

Well that would be considered incidental. It isn't directed at anyone. "get your A** back here" is directed at someone. Where as "God D***it" is just incidental to directed at anyone. I'll be giving advanced English lessons later on.

Gotta disagree with you on this one, blankguy. A player or a coach use G D, and they'll be looking at a red card from me. I don't care whether its directed or not directed, or incidental. Next to the f word and the n word, its probably the next most offensive word, (in my opinion) a player or coach could use. Red Card.

Again, coaches know the rules of language and need to be prepared to accept responsibility for their language as well.

Gotta disagree with you on this one, blankguy. A player or a coach use G D, and they'll be looking at a red card from me. I don't care whether its directed or not directed, or incidental. Next to the f word and the n word, its probably the next most offensive word, (in my opinion) a player or coach could use. Red Card.

Again, coaches know the rules of language and need to be prepared to accept responsibility for their language as well.

What dolphin8191 said is misleading. The coach used the word dang and not d**n. I have heard him say it that way many times. I personally think that the ref should not have given the red for the word toe It did hurt Blackman playing without number 3. It is over now and we should just let the Blackman folks handle it and not start dragging other players and coaches over the coals for every little thing they might have said or done. It is over now and we should just move on.

Well first off, if a player gets his foot stepped on and yells out the f bomb, do you think he should be disqualified?

or should he be disqualified if he gets his foot stepped on and yells out "f bomb YOU!" There is a difference.

In the former you can probably talk to the kid and say its unacceptable, where as in the latter it is directed at someone so he should be disqualified.

Now being in the south it would offend a lot of people if ######- say the riverdale coach actually used ######- was used like that, but say the coach just moved here from the North where that may be acceptable to a degree but maybe just gets a yellow because the referee took it in the context of he's just frustrated and vented a incidental profane remark out.

You have to look at each play and see if that one play incites or degrades someone in which then they should be disqualified.

As an official you have to have you head on your shoulders and have to be able to distiguish between the use of incidental or not. because that could be the factor of playing down or not. I figured you guys would be smarter than this.

As an official you have to have you head on your shoulders and have to be able to distinguish between the use of incidental or not. because that could be the factor of playing down or not. I figured you guys would be smarter than this.

All well and good. How about you tell all the referees what they are supposed to do when the State Director of Soccer has informed all his "Supervisors" that In TN, the State wants Foul language dealt with by the "letter" of the rule? That information is presented in the preseason State "Rules Meeting" that is mandatory attendance for all referees as well as a "Representative" from each school that participates in TSSAA sanctioned Soccer.

If the player verbalizes his foul language quietly, so only the referee and a few "close" players can hear it, the referee can plead "deaf", BUT when the player "YELLS" the profanity so that it cam be heard in a 150 yard circle s/he has only themselves to blame when ejected.

I thought I explained the "letter of the law". Gene Beck and I have spoken about how language should be dealt with. But the problem is all the parents or fans that think they understand the law watch a lot of club or USSF/ FIFA matches and think that NFHS is the same set of rules.

Just like you have a Obvious Goal Scoring opportunity. Say the keeper comes out to contest a ball, misjudges it and the attacker has a wide open goal. Now the keeper fouls the attacker to try and prevent the goal.

A. the ball goes in the goal but is still fouled.

B. the ball goes wide and is still fouled.

C. the ball goes wide and a defender slides in to contest the shot.

What do you do in all three cases "by NFHS" to the goalkeeper?