AAA State Tournament

UnivOfUntouchable

Interesting comment about Pheifer and FHS. Not making excuses for Phillip or for Coach Pharr, but the Lincoln County team does a clapping thing while the other team is on the field. Its not unsportsmanlike, but we haven't seen much of that since 12 year old baseball. It probably got to Pheifer, who is afterall 15 or 16 years old.

He should have known better, but ... not like the FHS fans were encouraging it.

The game today against RHS took fan misconduct to a new level. Not sure if any of you saw it, but that was some of the worst behaviour that a group of parents could have displayed.

On to baseball. FHS and Bartlett should be a battle. I was sitting at a game at Oak Ridge early in the season talking to a few major league scouts who had come out to watch Matt Ramsey throw. They said that these were the two best teams in the state, and that the match-up would be ridiculously close.

FHS will put Ramsey on the mound with Pfeiffer and Cooper available for relief.

I suspect BHS will throw Heath Hatfield on two days rest.

Its a shame it will be decided in one game. Would have loved to see these two teams play best 2 out of 3. But either way, for this season, the best two teams in the state at the AAA level are likely meeting in the final.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment about Pheifer and FHS. Not making excuses for Phillip or for Coach Pharr, but the Lincoln County team does a clapping thing while the other team is on the field. Its not unsportsmanlike, but we haven't seen much of that since 12 year old baseball. It probably got to Pheifer, who is afterall 15 or 16 years old.

He should have known better, but ... not like the FHS fans were encouraging it.

The game today against RHS took fan misconduct to a new level. Not sure if any of you saw it, but that was some of the worst behaviour that a group of parents could have displayed.

On to baseball. FHS and Bartlett should be a battle. I was sitting at a game at Oak Ridge early in the season talking to a few major league scouts who had come out to watch Matt Ramsey throw. They said that these were the two best teams in the state, and that the match-up would be ridiculously close.

FHS will put Ramsey on the mound with Pfeiffer and Cooper available for relief.

I suspect BHS will throw Heath Hatfield on two days rest.

Its a shame it will be decided in one game. Would have loved to see these two teams play best 2 out of 3. But either way, for this season, the best two teams in the state at the AAA level are likely meeting in the final.

I understand that freshman do immature things, I just feel really bad for anyone who has ever played for Farragut because the tradition they have created is being ruined. The fact that not one single Farragut coach put that kid in his place in the Lincoln County game shows that the only thing they care about is keeping there enormous bounty of talent happy. I will personally be pulling for Bartlett because there is no way that Coach Clark would ever allow something like that from a player much less a freshman. That kid will be a failure not just in baseball but also in life if the Farragut coaches allow that kind of behavior. Just clarify for anyone who missed it the Pfieffer kid was flinging his finger toward the dugout and talking to the Lincoln County dugout after every strikeout staring down the hitter and talking crap to him all the way to the dugout. I don't want to hear one more thing on this board about how great Coach Pharr is because he let that kid disgrace the game. I guess its all about winning, who cares about what kind of kids they are. Get the best players to your school and then let them do their thing whatever way they want. Pathetic.

Dude don't even act like Pheiffer isn't cocky. The kid is a heck of a pitcher, but his head is way too big for a freshman. Look at senior pitchers who are really good on other teams, they don't do anything like what Pheiffer does. During the Bearden game, Pheiffer turned to the dugout and told them to "shhh" and then started clapping his glove at them. After the game, he says "hey bearden" and sticks up a "L" for a loss. The kid is a great pitcher, don't get me wrong, but if he keeps acting the way he does, he'll get put in his place one day.

The last time he pitched against Bearden in the district tournament, he was knocked out of the game in the first or second inning and got the big "L" for himself (6-5). It didn't take long for him to get put in his place.

The last time he pitched against Bearden in the district tournament, he was knocked out of the game in the first or second inning and got the big "L" for himself (6-5). It didn't take long for him to get put in his place.

Clark wont throw Hatfield.....it would only be one days rest. This game is not worth the bright future of a young man. I do know that back a few years ago, we actually looked forward to playing against guys that behaved the way some have said this freshman did. You are right Clark wouldnt allow this, but neither should the senior leadership on the team!!!

The same Ravenwood player was hit by the Farragut pitching staff not one, not two but THREE times in two games. I don't remember exactly but it seems that he was the only batter hit by the Farragut pitching staff (who seemed to have pretty good control on all other batters) The kid who was hit happens to be the best pitcher and hitter on the Ravenwood roster. The first time he was hit in the elbow. The second time(with the score at something like 13-0) the kid was hit square in the side of the head and suffered a concussion, thus preventing him from pitching further in the tournament. Then, he was hit AGAIN today, in his third at bat... after having hit two doubles off the left center wall. This Farragut pitching staff is very, very talented. That has been discussed on this board at length. I think everyone there found it a little hard to believe in the coincidental randomness of the loss of control.

enough of bashing teams lets get back to talking about AAA state champions

i agree. but about the farrugut situation. why would they need to hit a guy if they are up 12-0 and 9-2??? give me some logic...it was uncalled for the ravenwood pitcher and coach to hit a guy they deserved getting tossed..

i agree. but about the farrugut situation. why would they need to hit a guy if they are up 12-0 and 9-2??? give me some logic...it was uncalled for the ravenwood pitcher and coach to hit a guy they deserved getting tossed..

Hey, I'm not posting to argue the point but when I read this it leaves too much open for misinterpretation. A Ravenwood coach was ejected earlier in the game when he complained about the hit batter situation. Later, the Ravenwood pitcher hit a batter with a slow curve ball and was immediately ejected because the umpire assumed that it was retaliation. Because it was the second ejection, the head coach had to leave also. When I read the "coach hit a guy" part of your post I just thought some might read that wrong and wanted to clarify.

Bartlett is a worthy competitor for the state championship. So is Farragut, so people shouldnt complain about its pitchers.

Farraguts pitchers hit batters 3 times the whole tournament. They knew nothing about the kid they hit other than that he seemed to crowd the plate

Ravenwood hit 6. I think it would be crazy to say that they were all headhunters. The ball just gets loose sometimes.

As far as Farraguts freshman pitcher pointing at folks, Ive heard that when a dugout of baseball players acts like taunting and clapping softball girls, he may point at some he strikes out to show the consequence of softball field behavior. If his opponents respect his game, he respects them.

If you like softball girl behavior at baseball games this may bother you--otherwise you may think its pretty cool.

In any case its probably not worth trashing a good program, a great coach and a talented kid over.

Anyway. He's not gonna play in the championship on two days rest with Farragut's All American Ramsey totally rested for Bartlett. Id guess that Bartlett will throw Hatfield. I hear hes a stud who should be ready to turn it around fast.

Hey, I'm not posting to argue the point but when I read this it leaves too much open for misinterpretation. A Ravenwood coach was ejected earlier in the game when he complained about the hit batter situation. Later, the Ravenwood pitcher hit a batter with a slow curve ball and was immediately ejected because the umpire assumed that it was retaliation. Because it was the second ejection, the head coach had to leave also. When I read the "coach hit a guy" part of your post I just thought some might read that wrong and wanted to clarify.

From what I heard, assistant coach said to plate umpire as he went by that this guy would be hit by first pitch. Ump told him that they shouldn't do that because it would be automatic ejection and coach would be ejected. Second pitch hit batter, pitcher and head coach ejected.

When coach tells umpire that he's going to get hit, it's pre-meditated and in retaliation.

With that said, if you're going to throw at someone, don't tell the umpire you're going to do it.

Bartlett is a worthy competitor for the state championship. So is Farragut, so people shouldnt complain about its pitchers.

Farraguts pitchers hit batters 3 times the whole tournament. They knew nothing about the kid they hit other than that he seemed to crowd the plate

Ravenwood hit 6. I think it would be crazy to say that they were all headhunters. The ball just gets loose sometimes.

As far as Farraguts freshman pitcher pointing at folks, Ive heard that when a dugout of baseball players acts like taunting and clapping softball girls, he may point at some he strikes out to show the consequence of softball field behavior. If his opponents respect his game, he respects them.

If you like softball girl behavior at baseball games this may bother you--otherwise you may think its pretty cool.

In any case its probably not worth trashing a good program, a great coach and a talented kid over.

Anyway. He's not gonna play in the championship on two days rest with Farragut's All American Ramsey totally rested for Bartlett. Id guess that Bartlett will throw Hatfield. I hear hes a stud who should be ready to turn it around fast.

Nothing justifies what he was doing. Your job on the field is to get outs and not pay attention to dugout chatter or what the fans may be saying. Maybe this is how things are done at Farragut, when players or fans jaw at you make a complete idiot out of yourself. That kid is a freshman and he hasn't learned one thing there about how to respect the game if they allow that. I don't know what was said out of the dugout but you can't let a kid do that on the field.