TN Football Playoffs Change In 2009

SPLITBACK

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! what does everyone think ????? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Football playoffs to change in 2009

FRANKLIN - The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Board of Control today voted 5-4 to adopt a new system for football playoffs that likely will have six Division I champions beginning in 2009.

There will be three regular-season football classes comprised of 16 districts each.

The football playoffs are likely to expand to six classes. There is a chance they could remain at five classes if multiple Division I schools opt to move to Division II.

All schools will remain in the same districts for football, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

Having three classes instead of five is also expected to cut down on travel for schools playing football.

In regards to football:

1. All schools play everyone in their district (AAA, AA, A)

2. Each class is divided in half by enrollment. AAA is divided into 6A/5A; AA into 4A/3A; A into 2A/1A. This will place approximately 55-65 schools in each football classification. If the number of football schools in Class A is less than 70, then the Board would determine whether Class A would be divided for playoffs or remain as one class. Using present enrollments, there would be 83 football-playing schools in Class A.

3. In 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A, 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs. In 2A and 1A, 24 teams would qualify for the playoffs. This difference is due to the fact that there would be 41 to 42 schools in 2A and 1A each, with 58 to 62 schools in the other 4 classifications.

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. Half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A,??¦) in each district are automatic qualifiers

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards ??“ Based on state association tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility there could be 25 automatic qualifiers.

Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33 qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the 32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8 teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds. In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! what does everyone think ????? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Football playoffs to change in 2009

FRANKLIN - The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Board of Control today voted 5-4 to adopt a new system for football playoffs that likely will have six Division I champions beginning in 2009.

There will be three regular-season football classes comprised of 16 districts each.

The football playoffs are likely to expand to six classes. There is a chance they could remain at five classes if multiple Division I schools opt to move to Division II.

All schools will remain in the same districts for football, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

Having three classes instead of five is also expected to cut down on travel for schools playing football.

In regards to football:

1. All schools play everyone in their district (AAA, AA, A)

2. Each class is divided in half by enrollment. AAA is divided into 6A/5A; AA into 4A/3A; A into 2A/1A. This will place approximately 55-65 schools in each football classification. If the number of football schools in Class A is less than 70, then the Board would determine whether Class A would be divided for playoffs or remain as one class. Using present enrollments, there would be 83 football-playing schools in Class A.

3. In 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A, 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs. In 2A and 1A, 24 teams would qualify for the playoffs. This difference is due to the fact that there would be 41 to 42 schools in 2A and 1A each, with 58 to 62 schools in the other 4 classifications.

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. Half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A,??¦) in each district are automatic qualifiers

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards ??“ Based on state association tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility there could be 25 automatic qualifiers.

Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33 qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the 32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8 teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds. In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

Uh, what? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Does anyone have a clue what is wrong with the TSSAA? I mean really, who came up with this crap? All we need is a 4 class system and a complete public/private split. Why do they continue to pull this junk? And why is it that the coaches and athletic administrators continue to allow this bunch of fools the authority to continue this behavior and decision making? It is really becoming a joke. What happened to you play in a district, you win it, you go the playoffs? Now we gotta have multipliers and at large bids. back in the late 80's/early 90's, you had to be top 2 in your district to earn (I say earn because you really did back then) a playoff spot. You had great match-ups from the first round on. None of this lets play 2 rounds of rematches like we see now.

I've got an ideal, how about the schools let the TSSAA go out of business and start over with a new state association. Really, what is the TSSAA really doing? I can schedule games and umpires and referees. Insurance? Give me about 10 minutes and I can get you an insurance guy. Putting on playoffs and championship tournaments? I've got a trophy guy and a camera, Our local ball park could host the Spring Fling. Someone please explain to me what is so important and essential about the TSSAA???? Why are they needed? What truly unique qualities are they bringing to the table to further the growth and development of high school athletics. I see nothing they truly offer. Has anyone looked at other state associations? I challenge everyone that read this to research and see what other states are doing in terms of development and marketing and management of high school athletics.

Hey TSSAA, it's not rocket science and its not curing cancer or anything, why do you continue to make it so difficult?

FHSAA

GHSA

GISA

NCHSAA

Look these over and tell me what you think

Those districts aren't final yet but they're probably close if not exact. It makes me wonder why they couldn't have been done this way in basketball the last four years-Polk, Sweetwater, etc in one district, Chattanooga in one group, and a couple of Chattanooga with Sequatchie and the rest in another group. Instead we have another year of the nine team mammoth district where some of the opponents literally bring 5-10 fans if that many. Chattanooga Christian travels well and I'd expect the same from Signal Mountain.

The district turns out pretty well for Bledsoe, Sequatchie, Grundy. Plenty of room for non-district games against Whitwell, against Marion if they remain Class A, and none of the largest Class AA teams such as Chattanooga Central which has about 1050. That will look to be the main problem, Oakhavem for example, is the only 3A level team in their AA district, as I understand it their district games against several 4A level teams will be the deciding factor on if they make the playoffs or not. There are probably plenty of other similar situations.

I still don't like the idea of playing Chattanooga Christian in a district game or a Goodpasture, etc, in the postseason but if there's no complete split this may be a good alternative. I'm sure the large Chattanooga area schools would agree, no more trips to Knoxville in the regular season for Ooltewah and Soddy-Daisy, no more trips to White County for Red Bank and Cleveland.

jjwsiv,

Why are you complaining about the new organization of the football playoffs? Your school had a chance to hire someone NEW to come in and put some juice back into the Eagles program and you hire from within after 5 months. Yea, you really got some good answers for the new classification!

This is a better projection as it includes projected districts then the split for football playoffs. I'm not sure yet if it was put together by the TSSAA or the Tennessean but with new schools included, I'm guessing the TSSAA. It was posted on the main football forum.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...-1/PREPSFACTORY

That is BS and will never be accepted if I understand it correctly. District 9 and 10 have 8 teams slotted in the 2A class.(Region 5) District 11 and 12 (region 6) have 3 teams slotted in the 2A classification. If the playoff system is done in the same manner as current baseball or softball is, the 1 and 2 seed from District 9 and 10 would be matched up against the 1 and 2 seed from district 11 and 12. How can you have 8 teams competing for two slots out of the old Region 5 and only have 3 teams competing for these same two slots out of the old Region 6? I need someone to explain this to me if I'm not understanding how the playoff matchups will work.

jjwsiv,

Why are you complaining about the new organization of the football playoffs? Your school had a chance to hire someone NEW to come in and put some juice back into the Eagles program and you hire from within after 5 months. Yea, you really got some good answers for the new classification!

LSMFT

Well, lets see, last time I checked, I'm not a principal so I couldn't really make the hiring decision. Next, I fully support the administration's decision to hire Coach Conley. Last, what exactly does us hiring a new coach have anything to do with what I was discussing in my post?

No where did I mention it. What exactly are your qualifications for questioning my post. Apparently you don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the overall point or direction of my post. If you read it completely then maybe I would or could understand your apparent attack. But since it is about on the level of my 4 year-olds reasoning and comprehension skills, I'll just laugh at it like I do about 98% of these posts. On second thought, my four-year old would have understood it.

(LSMFT, just so you understand, thats sarcasm. I didn't want you to feel inadequate for not comprehending)