PRE SEASON 2A TOP 5

freeacen

CTown...a little correct on your posts...Milan didn't make it to the semi-finals, they got beat by Trenton in the quarters and Trenton got their brains beat out by Goodpasture in the semi's.

I'll say this. I think Milan will make it to the 'boro and take on Alcoa. They will keep it within 3 touchdowns and will not quit playing whether their down 3 points or 30 points. Alcoa will know they had played a tough game and had to have earned their ring. Some of you people say Alcoa has too many athletes for Milan. Do you think Milan is just a buncha fat kids? If so, your mistaken. They may have some fat kids that are athletes but they also have skinny kids that can flat out fly! Milan should've been playing Goodpasture last year but they could never learn how to stop Tamias Johnson from Trenton. No, I'm not saying Milan will beat Alcoa but I will say that Milan will keep it to within 3 TD's. Some of you talk like it'll be 70-0.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CTown...a little correct on your posts...Milan didn't make it to the semi-finals, they got beat by Trenton in the quarters and Trenton got their brains beat out by Goodpasture in the semi's.

I'll say this. I think Milan will make it to the 'boro and take on Alcoa. They will keep it within 3 touchdowns and will not quit playing whether their down 3 points or 30 points. Alcoa will know they had played a tough game and had to have earned their ring. Some of you people say Alcoa has too many athletes for Milan. Do you think Milan is just a buncha fat kids? If so, your mistaken. They may have some fat kids that are athletes but they also have skinny kids that can flat out fly! Milan should've been playing Goodpasture last year but they could never learn how to stop Tamias Johnson from Trenton. No, I'm not saying Milan will beat Alcoa but I will say that Milan will keep it to within 3 TD's. Some of you talk like it'll be 70-0.

Alcoa vs Milan would be the equivilant of last year's South Pitt vs McKenzie game.

Milan, Trenton, Westview, etc. Outside of Huntingdon in 2003 and again in 2004 (even though they lost) this decade has not been a good one for West-TN at this level. In 2001 Westview crushed everyone on their way to the title game and then they were manhandled by Goodpasture. Milan hasn't even been there because they haven't been able to win a "big game". Face it!!! The last "big stage game" that Milan won in the postseason was the game against Portland in the 1999 Class 3A State Title Game. In 2000 they lost to JSS. They've since been beaten by Westview, Huntingdon (twice), Peabody, and Goodpasture. Until they get to the Boro in this decade they can't compare themselves to teams that have gotten there on numerous occasions. Alcoa has been there and won. David Lipscomb and Goodpasture have been there and won (YES I REALIZE DL IS NOW 3A). Huntingdon has been there and won.

I don't agree with your Alcoa V. Milan and S. Pitt V. McKenzie statement. How do you know what Milan has returning and what they don't have returning? You don't... Milan returns every key player from last years team. JW Williams, the QB (I forget his name), Tristian Pearson, Jobronski Gilbert (best RB in West TN this year), and several other players. They do lose some linemen but Milan always comes out with productive linemen. I think they'll be 14-0 heading into the Clinic Bowl and I don't see them backing down against a team such as Alcoa.

Last time a Blount Co. team played Milan...Milan beat down a heavily favored Maryville team 28-6 in the state championship game AT Maryville....Thet weren't expecting Milan's speed. Go figure.............

actually they beat Maryville at Alcoa in the 77 state final game I was there

I don't agree with your Alcoa V. Milan and S. Pitt V. McKenzie statement. How do you know what Milan has returning and what they don't have returning? You don't... Milan returns every key player from last years team. JW Williams, the QB (I forget his name), Tristian Pearson, Jobronski Gilbert (best RB in West TN this year), and several other players. They do lose some linemen but Milan always comes out with productive linemen. I think they'll be 14-0 heading into the Clinic Bowl and I don't see them backing down against a team such as Alcoa.

It doesn't matter what they have returning. Milan has a very good 2a program...as do we.

Nobody in 2a will get close to challenging Alcoa this season. They may be better than the last

2 years...at least. They have to replace Cobb is the only obstacle. Rankin has a history of

developing 1st year qb's. They have 5a talent playing in 2a. If you haven't seen them in person...

you have no idea what I mean. It is them...and the rest in 2a.

Can we lay this to rest because the topic is going nowhere now. Alcoa's biggest challenge will be Alcoa themselves. Them "self destructing" can be the only thing to cost them a state title in Class 2A.

Milan, Huntingdon, Westview, Hickman Co., Lewis Co., Camden, Goodpasture, CPA, DCA, Tyner, Boyd Buchannan, Westmoreland, Smith Co., York Institute, CAK, and Gatlinburg Pittman are all very quality Class 2A football teams. That is one heck of a "Sweet 16" if they were all placed in a tournament field to compete with one another.

Having said that...................none of them is going to be able to beat Alcoa anytime for the next 2 years.

The only way it would be a repeat of that game is because Alcoa is that good.

I honestly think Milan as a whole would have a bit more overall team speed than GP, but it won't matter. They may not back down, but I don't think people west of the river understand how good of a 2A team Alcoa is.

Guest nwtnsports

Alcoa vs Milan would be the equivilant of last year's South Pitt vs McKenzie game.

Milan, Trenton, Westview, etc. Outside of Huntingdon in 2003 and again in 2004 (even though they lost) this decade has not been a good one for West-TN at this level. In 2001 Westview crushed everyone on their way to the title game and then they were manhandled by Goodpasture. Milan hasn't even been there because they haven't been able to win a "big game". Face it!!! The last "big stage game" that Milan won in the postseason was the game against Portland in the 1999 Class 3A State Title Game. In 2000 they lost to JSS. They've since been beaten by Westview, Huntingdon (twice), Peabody, and Goodpasture. Until they get to the Boro in this decade they can't compare themselves to teams that have gotten there on numerous occasions. Alcoa has been there and won. David Lipscomb and Goodpasture have been there and won (YES I REALIZE DL IS NOW 3A). Huntingdon has been there and won.

I'd like to mention that the two guys, on this thread, that have picked Milan to go to the state championship are fans of two of our region rivals. That is an honor and very humbling, but it makes me nervous. I agree with what you've stated, DaCatfish. The Bulldogs will be a talented team this year. Alcoa is still at the top, though, then everyone else. Maybe Milan can win the "big game" this year to make it to the finals - we'll see. Just got to keep things in perspective.

Guest nwtnsports

Look, I think this Milan team compares to the 99' team on paper BUT they haven't proven anything yet.

I"ll know after the first couple of games if they have what it takes to have a shot at state.

Completely agreed, even on the comparison.

GC, thanks for your kind words and prediction. I'd like to go 14-0 and play for the championship. There are five months to go, though, and much work to be done before the season. Best of luck to the Pioneers this year, hope things go well. The same to freeacen's Golden Tide.