Class 1A: Region 1 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2008?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2008?

Grace will absolutely shake things up in Region 1 this year.

Grace will be hard to read until the season starts , they did not lose much from a better than average team last year so they should be pretty good. there is no telling how many transfers they will have to add to them as well so they could be very good.

Hampton still has great coaching and tradition along with some experienced youth due to so many blowouts in the last few years so I would not rule them out by no means.

Cosby will be better than last year with the return of several key starters on both sides of the ball. They will host the two teams who look to be preseason 1 and 2 so that should help give them a definite shot at the region as well.

Cloudland lost alot in one player , But it's a team sport look for them to be strong again this season.

Unaka graduated one of the best defensive players in the state who led a defense that kept them in games when there offense was terrible. Look for them to have to fight for a playoff spot.

Jellico graduated there entire team from last season so who knows what they have. They are always coached well and play hard so they still have an outside shot at the playoffs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering where you had been. I am thinking Grace may be the preseason favorite. Have you been keeping up with this split/multiplier talk on the other thread? What Was Mike's thoughts about spring practice? Course you and I both know he will never be satisfied. And thats the way it should be.

Grace pretty much lost their bread and butter ,but its untelling how many new transfers they will acquire.Hampton will definately be tough,still have a big line and several playmakers. I would'nt consider anyone a favorite at this point, it will take a few weeks during the regular season.

This could be one of the first years in a while that the conference is up for grabs. Hampton has been on top for a while, and will be tough, but they lost some really good players off of last years squad. JC usually has a few tricks up his sleeve though and he will have his kids ready and coach lunsfords reputation speaks for itself. Until someone else steps up and takes it from them, you have to have them at the top. The next few is where it gets tricky. Cloudland came out of no where last year with a group of average players led by one heck of an athlete, their QB. I think you have to attribute that to the coaching as Robbie and his staff did a heck of a job. The Hughes kid graduated, but they will be able to hold their own. Next is GCA. They did alright last year, and have the ability to break bad at anytime since they are a private school. They are a good team, but they are going to have to show a little more toughness to compete for the top spot in this conference. These three teams are the top 3 in some way shape or form.

The last playoff spot will be decided by Cosby and Unaka. Honestly, until we can see these two teams play, you can pretty much flip a coin. I think Unaka will be more athletic than they have been in the past. the Taylor kid is a good running back. They also have one or two lineman that are alright. But they are very inexperienced as a whole. Coach Ensor works those kids hard, and it is showing. I dont see their defense being that good this year because they lost a lot of kids, but look out in the next couple years. I've heard they have some good young linebackers, and coach smitley does a good job over there. I havnt heard anything about cosby, but they have won the last two meetings against unaka, and they will probably win this year, giving them the last playoff spot. Jellico was much improved last year, but lost alot.

Should be a fun year. I can't wait.

The two keys to Hamptons' success are J.C. and Luns. Wimpy players cannot play for these guys. All the players you see on their squads are hard hitting individuals who get after people. I'm hoping that Cloudland will not turn into a finesse bunch. Back in the ole days, Cloudland punished and dominated teams who had more athletic ability but didn't have the heart to play real football. A bulk of Cloudlands wins came against teams like that. Last year was a good starting point for the Landers. They were very small, but they got after people. If that tradition will stay at Cloudland then the rivalry between the Landers, Bulldogs, and Eagles willl only get better. Because I feel like as long as Shelton stays at Cosby, they will win their first regional title real soon. Hey, boys I'm only giving positive points about our solid conference. Should be an interesting year.

whats happening to grace and cloudland?

I'm not sure were grace is going but I know cloudland will be in a smaller classification were and who they play I'm not sure. The projected regions and districts are still not set in stone and what I saw was still fairly confusing , but were cloudland and Jellico are so much smaller than the rest they will MOST likely not be in the same classification with Hampton , Unaka and Cosby. Grace is small but growing and also private so Their kinda iffy on were they will be.

Old King would like to introduce the coacht world to Princess Eowyn Taylor McCoury and Princess Savannah Arwen McCoury. Princess Eowyn weighed 4 lbs. and 5 oz. and Princess Savannah weighed 5 lbs. and 4 oz. They will have their little pom poms ready to cheer the Landers by the first game. Ain't God great!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />