Knox Halls Starters

It's been quiet on the Halls thread, so let's see if we can get something going. I plan to see th DB scrimmage on Friday, so I have a couple of questions:

- After a week and a half of practice, how does the new Offensive Cordinator look? I know it's against scout team, but does the offense look crisp? Are they blowing out the scout team in practice?

- Biggest question, which of the backs have stepped up to replace Kitts!! Is any of them making good runs during team parts of practices?? Has anyone seperated themselves from the pack??

- Also, Who is going to replace Gunter/Kelly/Dayton?? Again, I know it is scout team (I'm sure they are all looking good), but has anyone stood out?

I hope to watch practice tonight and see for myself, but could someone who has watched so far help me out. I thought what I saw in shorts last week looked good, and hope that has continued this week.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching tonights practice, I will offer my two cents worth (since no one else will):

- I don't think this is going to be the "slowest Halls team in the past ten years", as some are saying. Too many good athletes to be considered a slow team. We may not have a Daniel Dayton, or a Wes Kitts, but to me we look plenty fast enough. Overall team speed may actually be one of the faster teams I've seen in awhile (Junior class has several speed guys).

- The biggest question, running back, appears to still be unanswered. I saw Gibson, McGill, and O'laughlin make good runs for long yardage-TD's. Unfortunately, it was not done behind our 1st team line. The three only had about five carries between them.

- As a matter of fact, first team really sputtered against the scout team for the first series (I'm not sure if there was a mix up, but the QB ran alot with little success - he had no where to go. It could have been pass calls, I'm not sure)

- Nice catch by Brad Steinke!! Offense ran 5 plays for about two yards until then. Big catch started the Offense in the right direction.

- I hope the Offense gets out of the gate OK Friday - didn't look to be clicking very good yet.

- My prayers go out to Taylor Babcock and the Babcock family. He is a great kid, and so is the family. Hopefully will see him before the season is out.

Someone else tell me what the defense is looking like - better than last years?

After watching tonights practice, I will offer my two cents worth (since no one else will):

- I don't think this is going to be the "slowest Halls team in the past ten years", as some are saying. Too many good athletes to be considered a slow team. We may not have a Daniel Dayton, or a Wes Kitts, but to me we look plenty fast enough. Overall team speed may actually be one of the faster teams I've seen in awhile (Junior class has several speed guys).

- The biggest question, running back, appears to still be unanswered. I saw Gibson, McGill, and O'laughlin make good runs for long yardage-TD's. Unfortunately, it was not done behind our 1st team line. The three only had about five carries between them.

- As a matter of fact, first team really sputtered against the scout team for the first series (I'm not sure if there was a mix up, but the QB ran alot with little success - he had no where to go. It could have been pass calls, I'm not sure)

- Nice catch by Brad Steinke!! Offense ran 5 plays for about two yards until then. Big catch started the Offense in the right direction.

- I hope the Offense gets out of the gate OK Friday - didn't look to be clicking very good yet.

- My prayers go out to Taylor Babcock and the Babcock family. He is a great kid, and so is the family. Hopefully will see him before the season is out.

Someone else tell me what the defense is looking like - better than last years?

IM80, Have not seen the D practices but in general agree with your take on the O.

The RB's will shine when they get the new O wrinkles down & the big boys up front get cookin....like I know they can.

To my knowlege, this group of kids have never failed to step up when the time came fom rec league to now.

So I think the O will gel enough to get something going at DB.

I will be very surprised if this doesn't happen.

Dito prayers for Taylor & hopes that Tall_Z gets better.

HB76

The d-line is looking good, there seems to be about 8 different very talented players rotating in. In regards to offensive line, why isnt Ladish starting, didnt he start last year? Is Ladish being punished for missing last week?

If he missed then he probably has to earn his way back on the 1st team..that's the way it was when I played

I notice I'm the only one talking on the Halls thread, so I'll keep my comments simple:

- I saw trhe DB scrimmage, and for those who didn't - after the first four series DB was ahead 28-0. By then DB was down to many of their 3rd teamers. At this point DB had 250+ yards of offense, while we had -6.

- Question: What is the biggest loss, Kitts, Dayton, Gunter or Coach Ward? I don't believe I have ever seen an offense this bad.

- Good news - we tried to pass as many times as we ran (balance?). I'd say the new RB's (we know what Waggoner can do) got a solid two or three carries apiece. Bad news is we lost more yards on passing downs than we gained. (Jack of all trades, master of none)

- Good news - defense is not going to be much worse than last years. I don't remember the first team giving up any long plays (40+ yards). DB almost had to punt once.

Since some consider me Mr. Negative, could someone else comment/tell metheir thoughts about the scrimmage?? I will still support, and even encourage this team. Maybe we should try to simplify the offense the next few weeks - better to do a few things well than many things poorly.

4mer..player -

- GOOD POINT! Like I said, I will still support and encourage this team AND staff. I just hope we can get a FEW of the plays working consistently in three weeks (14 pactices down, 11 practices left).

- Also, I think coach Williams and Kilgore will eventually be really good coaches. I don't believe enough people in Halls realize what a good Coach Mr. ward was. Experience, patience, etc. doesn't come over night. Let's give the new guys time. Glad tonight was just a scrimmage.