Knox Halls Starters

SwingingGate29 -

- What scrimmage did you watch?? CAK scored their 2nd TD on an interception thrown by our 2nd string QB to our 4th string Wideout. Also, your next TD came with many 2nd and 3rd team defensive players on the field.

- After 5 series, it was 21-21. Both teams had subbed (thus a scrimmage) to see what they had. True starters was 7-7, then Halls brought many backups in. CAK may have had all their starters in, but Halls did not.

- I thought when #10(Fromke) was throwing to #7(Moren) on the 4th and 5th series that was still some starters. Maybe you could feel me in on when they lost their starting jobs?

I think I can clear this up for you in part at least. I can't speak for when Halls' starters were in or out, but I did watch CAK's starters vs. 2nd's closely.

1st series for Halls, CAK's starters were in, Halls TD

1st series for CAK, CAK starters were in and scored TD

2nd series for Halls, I wouldn't think Halls starters were pulled after one series but if you say so, you'd know better

than me. CAK intercepts bobbled ball and returns for TD. Score 14 - 7 CAK

Due to the defensive TD, Halls back on offense

3rd Halls series: Drive stalls, punt to CAK 13 yd line

2nd CAK series: Halls gets 2 "sacks" due to pressure on QB, CAK punts to Halls Score at this point 14 - 7 CAK

4th Halls series, drive stalls (don't remember the details) CAK starters in.

3rd CAK series, CAK long drive, scores TD: Score 21 - 7 CAK

This is when CAK pulled their defensive starters.

5th series for Halls, CAK has entire 2nd team defense in. Halls scores TD

4th CAK series: CAK has offensive starters in one last series. Score at this point 21 - 14 CAK

After this point, CAK had pulled starters on both offense and defense.

As I said, I won't try to speak for Halls, but I'm confident of what I have written above from CAK's part of it. I am surprised if you are correct that Halls went to their second team after one series (not just rotaing receivers like everyone does) but I'm sure you followed Halls' personnel closer than I did.

I thought Halls looked awesome running the wing T and blocking at the point of attack. Excellent mis-direction and several talented looking RB's. It looked to me like the passing game still needs work, but as strong as the run is it may not matter LOL.

On defense, I thought Halls has a some work to do defending a strong passing team. I was glad CAK didn't run Kolinsky through the line alot tonight. It would be a lousy time to get an injury on your top player. I understand Halls returns 8 starters on defense so I'm sure they will be great when the regular season starts, and CAK doesn't run a typical high school offense.

For CAK, I thought the offense looked dangerous again, and I thought the defense hung in there against a very powerful O line and a very potent run game. When there was an opportunity for a pick or a fumble recovery, they took advantage of it. I wish the DB's had gotten a little more work tonight.

As expected, depth for CAK in 2A is a constant challenge, and as the depth chart for both teams got work Halls took control.

I will be pulling for Halls in a big way against Maryville. Best of luck for a great season!

(Disclaimer, I don't have a kid on the team, just love HS football!)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Halls perspective:

- At QB #14 (Dowdy) is the backup , #4 (Turner starts). Dowdy came in the 2nd series and 4th or 5th series. Note - I didn't think the pick was his fault, pass should've been caught.

- At WR (as you saw we only use one WR), #2 Johnson starts. #10 gresham (2nd)was out injured, along with #12 Zab. (3rd) and #8 Bab (5th). # 37 Bright is next, then Beeler, Smith and finally #9. We all pull for #9 (fan favorite) due to severe injury last year at QB. It was honorable of the coaches to get him in(senior year).

- No disrespect to CAK, the first drive (70 yards) came against our starters. CAK made our defense look silly on that drive. 2nd series three & out (starters). Next series we subbed for at least 6 starters.

- Finally, our 3rd & 4th drive had #4 at QB, but our two RB's were subs.

- It sounds like after 5 series the score was 21-21, but most TD's came when the teams subbed (at different times). Again, true starters 7-7. Best of luck to CAK this year, and best of all I don't think anyone got injured.

Halls Fans - Unofficial stats after 5 series(then JV's came in):

Rushing: Halls 261 yards, CAK 3 (on three attempts)

Passing: Halls 6 yards (4 attempts), CAK 132 yards

Total Offense: Halls 267, CAK 135

First Downs: Halls 12, CAK 5

Note> CAK scored on our only turnover (70? yard INT). We had several (3?) picks that didn't count because the whistle had blown (touched QB).

Rushing:

Waggoner - 81 yds/10 carries

O'laughlin - 80 yds/10 carries

Gibson - 42 yds/3 carries

Burton - 21 yds/5 carries

McGill - 12 yds/1 carry

Turner - 12 yds/2 carries

Bridges - 8 yds/2 carries

Fitz - 5 yds/1 carry

Cottrell - 0 yds/1 carry

Again, unofficial summary after first 5 series.

Quick comments:

- People are eating crow about coach Williams. The calls looked right on the money (pick was a good call, could have been caught). He showed the patience of an experienced OC, didn't try to do too much and it showed. Offense did a great job.

- Is it just me, or does it seem that Gibson gets thru the hole MUCH quicker than any of the other backs? Does he not know the plays or blocking assignments? He really showed me alot tonight when he got the ball (explosive)! I know he and O'laughlin both ran the 100 meters on the track team. Could someone tell me who posted the fastest times, or were they back and forth?

I don't think you can judge who won a scrimmage when the refs were blowing the whistle when anyone got within 5 yards of CAK's QB at the request of their coach. No one can tell what would've happened except CAK's oline would've given up several blind sighted sacks just by #62 Leonard from Halls. There were a couple of instances where CAK got bailed out by the whistle because Halls intercepted the pass and the ref had blown the whistle predicting a sack. The fact that CAK pulled their 1st string defense after 3 series is beyond me. I checked my watch and I think they pulled their 1st team D after 25 minutes of play. I think Halls would've worn down CAK's defense without a doubt. I also think CAK would've thrown the ball all over Halls even more. That being said, game planning may have made things different either way, so it's tough to tell. I think Halls made some strides tonight offensively, but it would also be nice to see Halls work the passing game just a touch more. We will see how much improvement the coaches and kids can get out of the next couple days. Any way you cut it tonight was a great night for football and CAK's hospitality was tremendous. Great facilities out there and plenty of action going on. I don't know who was up on the practice field or beside the school, but there was plenty of football going on out there tonight! Good luck to CAK this coming year.

- At QB #14 (Dowdy) is the backup , #4 (Turner starts). Dowdy came in the 2nd series and 4th or 5th series. Note - I didn't think the pick was his fault, pass should've been caught.

- At WR (as you saw we only use one WR), #2 Johnson starts. #10 gresham (2nd)was out injured, along with #12 Zab. (3rd) and #8 Bab (5th). # 37 Bright is next, then Beeler, Smith and finally #9. We all pull for #9 (fan favorite) due to severe injury last year at QB. It was honorable of the coaches to get him in(senior year).

- No disrespect to CAK, the first drive (70 yards) came against our starters. CAK made our defense look silly on that drive. 2nd series three & out (starters). Next series we subbed for at least 6 starters.

- It sounds like after 5 series the score was 21-21, but most TD's came when the teams subbed (at different times). Again, true starters 7-7. Best of luck to CAK this year, and best of all I don't think anyone got injured.

Note> CAK scored on our only turnover (70? yard INT). We had several (3?) picks that didn't count because the whistle had blown (touched QB).

Rushing:

McGill - 12 yds/1 carry

Fitz - 5 yds/1 carry

Cottrell - 0 yds/1 carry

Quick comments:

- People are eating crow about coach Williams. The calls looked right on the money (pick was a good call, could have been caught). He showed the patience of an experienced OC, didn't try to do too much and it showed. Offense did a great job.

- Is it just me, or does it seem that Gibson gets thru the hole MUCH quicker than any of the other backs? Does he not know the plays or blocking assignments? He really showed me alot tonight when he got the ball (explosive)! I know he and O'laughlin both ran the 100 meters on the track team. Could someone tell me who posted the fastest times, or were they back and forth?

I don't know if this is the reason Ironman, but Gibson is a little undersized so as far as blocking goes that could be a problem. If I were guessing, Gibson is not as durable as O'laughlin but also is probably faster in the 100 meters. O'laughlin might be a touch faster in shorter distances, but that's hard to tell. The only way to know is to ask about 40 times or something.

Rushing:

McGill - 12 yds/1 carry

Fitz - 5 yds/1 carry

Cottrell - 0 yds/1 carry

Quick comments:

So Halls only played their defensive starters for 2 series? I would have thought that the coach would have wanted his starters to get a little more work against a passing attack given they didn't exactly shut down CAK. If I was a Halls fan, I don't know that I would honestly know what to make of this scrimmage. It doesn't sound like the starters got much playing time.

So Halls only played their defensive starters for 2 series? I would have thought that the coach would have wanted his starters to get a little more work against a passing attack given they didn't exactly shut down CAK. If I was a Halls fan, I don't know that I would honestly know what to make of this scrimmage. It doesn't sound like the starters got much playing time.

It doesn't seem like either side used the 1s much really. I think Ironman is referring to the rotating LBs and DLineman. Halls goes about 8-10 deep on the DL and roughly 6-7 at LB (I think). The DBs seem a little thin with all the injuries that have been taking place. I thought it was strange that the starting QB and backup rotated every series for Halls, but they did. There certainly is a drop-off from Halls' 1st team DL/LBs to the 2nd team, but they also were good enough to give CAK fits when it was straight 2s vs. 2s. CAK will do pretty daggum good in the 2A ranks again this year. Halls need to improve to do well in 4A but like I said earlier, I think they're on the right track. Shore up a few things here and there and the offensive running game could be explosive like Kitts last year with 3 backs having the potential to go the distance on any play (Gibson, O'Laughlin, Wag).

Haveityourway -

- The reason I asked about track times/races was because they are electonic/official times. At Halls our forty times are done by coaches (not electronic), thus many appear odd.

- On the field last night I thought Gibson got to the hole MUCH faster, to me it seemed quiet a bit quicker. Thus, I asked the question. (No I am not his Dad, and have no personal ties)

- Also, I'm not trying to pick a starter. I just made my observation. I'm actually glad to see them decide on one - I'm sure they have given all 3 enough looks.

- What will happen when Pixley gets back? Many people I talked to thought he was the best runner on the JV team last year.

- I agree it was wise to rest all the starers last night. I think three scrimmages in four days is alot. Coach J used good judgement be letting many play.

I had a chance to go by last night to see all the fuss about CAK and Halls. In my opinion, being someone not from either school, CAK looked impressive for a 2A team! I noticed that CAK pulled starters early and halls had one's in for a while. I don't think it was a total "wood-shed beating", but Ironman may have a couple of splinters he is digging out! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good Luck to both teams on the upcoming season.

Is Caleb # 62? He is a heavy weight wrestler right?

I had a chance to go by last night to see all the fuss about CAK and Halls. In my opinion, being someone not from either school, CAK looked impressive for a 2A team! I noticed that CAK pulled starters early and halls had one's in for a while. I don't think it was a total "wood-shed beating", but Ironman may have a couple of splinters he is digging out! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good Luck to both teams on the upcoming season.

Is Caleb # 62? He is a heavy weight wrestler right?

yes and yes

CAK beats Halls and Grace beats Central Alcoa stomps OR

Small schools steppin up or large schools down?

Oh yeah we don't buy the........CAK beat Halls 2nd team and Grace beat Centrals freshman

You might not buy it, but you're certainly smoking something good. It's wishful thinking at best and delusional at worst for you to think that these schools would have a realistic chance against the large (well, Alcoa might be small in numbers but it's big in athletes) schools you mentioned in an actual game. In the CAK/Halls context, the size difference alone would have resulted in a lopsided score by the end of an real game.

Also, believe me when I say that after the second defensive series many of the starters were watching from the sidelines. My personal knowledge of that could not be any more intimate than if I were one of the players themselves. Many of us wondered why we were scrimmaging CAK, particularly in what would appear to be a down year for them. The coaches appear to have realized that and called off the dogs early.

With that said, I don't think Halls was using 2's for coverage early. We did get beat bad on one pass down the sidelines, and that was 1's against 1's. Otherwise, it was a pretty good night for Halls given the personnel being utilized.