Knox Halls Starters

Thanks for clearing that up.

On a serious note, congratulations to Halls on a great jamboree tonight. Halls handled an experienced Fulton D line with ease, and looked good against the pass and the run.

Dont get too caught up in that 1 qtr display ... I know for a fact that Fulton has not practiced against Wing T in pre season because they dont play anybody early that runs it ... also Fulton started 8 Soph's on defense .. they only had one experienced DL start and he was a SR DE ... they had a first time SR starter at corner, a first time SR starter at DT .. so on defense they had 1 returning starter from last year. Offense Fulton started 6 Sophs, 2 Jrs and 3 Sr's so this is not the year to look for Fulton to be strong but next year is the year ... congrats to Halls they ran the ball down the field but they better get better if they expect to get Maryville.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, OK. Everything you said may be right on the money. But I'm glad the regular season is here after tonight. Not directed particularly at you, but I've noticed a pattern during the preseason that any time a team hasn't performed as well as might have been expected against a given opponent, there are a multitude of reasons why it really didn't matter. The pattern is " nice job, but....we only used our middle school team." One exception is OR vs. Alcoa, where the concensus seems to be that OR just got outplayed by a very good team. I want to see my team(s) win and play well as much as anyone, but sometimes they don't perform up to their capability or just get outplayed.

I know Fulton had a very young line last year that OR pushed around in game one, but they really developed over the season. I expected your line to be the strength of you team this year.

Um, OK. Everything you said may be right on the money. But I'm glad the regular season is here after tonight. Not directed particularly at you, but I've noticed a pattern during the preseason that any time a team hasn't performed as well as might have been expected against a given opponent, there are a multitude of reasons why it really didn't matter. The pattern is " nice job, but....we only used our middle school team." One exception is OR vs. Alcoa, where the concensus seems to be that OR just got outplayed by a very good team. I want to see my team(s) win and play well as much as anyone, but sometimes they don't perform up to their capability or just get outplayed.

I know Fulton had a very young line last year that OR pushed around in game one, but they really developed over the season. I expected your line to be the strength of you team this year.

yes the OL is experienced .... 4 starters return .... last year a 9th grader started againhst OR and got slammed by the big lineman from OR .... but they only lost the LT from last year ... and a Soph has taken his place this year ..... Good Luck to All ...

My two cents:

- We took a step forward last night. Let's hope we continue to move forward tonight. Unofficial stats:

- Total Offense - Halls 130 yards(8 yd per play average), Fulton 28 (2 yards per play average)

- First downs - Halls 7, Fulton 2

- Time of possesion - ??

The good:

- Offense kept it simple and flexed it's muscles. Glad to see us get away from so many passes.

- BIG hit by Gibson(#3), and HUGE play on defense by Case (#40)

- Players seem to be gaining more confidence each time out.

- O'laughlin impressed with speed on the race - at the twenty he appeared even or ahead.

- Coach J and staff have really worked some magic. Remember how bad this offense looked when they tried to open it up at DB?

The bad:

- Open WR was overthrown or the score would have been 7-7.

- To much yardage given up on first down, I believe the defense can get alot better.

- Fulton is young and green, don't put to much into the 1 quarter. Without the defensive holding call against Fulton, we would have had negative yardage on the 2nd series. WE HAVE TO STAY AWAY FROM NEGATIVE YARDAGE SITUATIONS! I predict that if we have a downfall, that will be it.

Finally, still not ready for Maryvile, but I don't think they can beat us by 100 (I felt that way after DB)

Now that we lost to Mville, where to we go? IF Mville is as good as most people think (I konw, every year people say they aren't but they somehow prove them wrong) consider this:

-Good news:

- We went toe to toe with them for 3 quarters. Last years score was closer, this years game was closer. Last year BIG plays kept us close, this year the lack of one big play kept us from winning.

- Most of the teams left on our schedule will not be as good as Mville. If we can play with the same intensity we did for the first 3 quarters, we should be alright this year.

- I laugh at all the "coaches" in the stands that scream "throw the ball." Did anyone notice that we had six yards on six passes? With our top 5 returning recievers hurt, do you think we should just sling out there and hope for the best?

- Do I think we will have to improve in the passing game? Absolutely! Do I think that will come over night? NO WAY! Coach Williams did a fantastic job last night given the cards he has. He really impressed me. Patience with this offense goes a long way.

Bad News:

- Does anyone think we would have lost that game last night with Kitts in the lineup? Someone earlier said we could rplace him with a combination of O'laughlin, Gibson, McGill and Pixley. I guess we will never know, because it looks like only one is going to get the chance.

- Make know mistake, I'm not dodging the issue. GIBSON is better right now than O'Laughlin. I have been to every scrimmage, and it's not even close. If he was given the ball 17 times last night he might have had 200 yards!

- I think McGill and Pixley are pretty good also, and I do think O'laughlin is good. I don't think he can get the tough yards yet, and last night we needed someone in the second half to get the tough yards. (Waggoner is the best of the group, but he still didn't get very many carries.)

Final comments, give GIBSON a chance, let each running back add their unique abilities, improve the passing game, and find someone that can get the tough yards. Let's get to work this week!

What does everyone else think?

Now that we lost to Mville, where to we go? IF Mville is as good as most people think (I konw, every year people say they aren't but they somehow prove them wrong) consider this:

-Good news:

- We went toe to toe with them for 3 quarters. Last years score was closer, this years game was closer. Last year BIG plays kept us close, this year the lack of one big play kept us from winning.

- Most of the teams left on our schedule will not be as good as Mville. If we can play with the same intensity we did for the first 3 quarters, we should be alright this year.

- I laugh at all the "coaches" in the stands that scream "throw the ball." Did anyone notice that we had six yards on six passes? With our top 5 returning recievers hurt, do you think we should just sling out there and hope for the best?

- Do I think we will have to improve in the passing game? Absolutely! Do I think that will come over night? NO WAY! Coach Williams did a fantastic job last night given the cards he has. He really impressed me. Patience with this offense goes a long way.

Bad News:

- Does anyone think we would have lost that game last night with Kitts in the lineup? Someone earlier said we could rplace him with a combination of O'laughlin, Gibson, McGill and Pixley. I guess we will never know, because it looks like only one is going to get the chance.

- Make know mistake, I'm not dodging the issue. GIBSON is better right now than O'Laughlin. I have been to every scrimmage, and it's not even close. If he was given the ball 17 times last night he might have had 200 yards!

- I think McGill and Pixley are pretty good also, and I do think O'laughlin is good. I don't think he can get the tough yards yet, and last night we needed someone in the second half to get the tough yards. (Waggoner is the best of the group, but he still didn't get very many carries.)

Final comments, give GIBSON a chance, let each running back add their unique abilities, improve the passing game, and find someone that can get the tough yards. Let's get to work this week!

What does everyone else think?

You ask what we think... here goes.

Yes, we could have still lost the game even with Kitts in the lineup. Fatigue on the line was a big deal IMO. I think cooler weather will show some improvement in our stamina as a team and especially on the line. I agree with you in many cases Ironman, but I think #3 is different than #6 but, not better. In the scrimmages I saw, #3 went down easier and broke fewer tackles than #6 or #23. I think #3 hits the hole when he sees it slightly faster than #6, but is less likely to make a play when there is no hole. I am also not sure how well the opposite back runs when #3 is in the game. Could blocking be an issue? I don't know. I do know that each runs a little different and I like to mix it up. Like I said on another thread, Halls needs to rotate them more. I did notice that #6 and #23 played very little if any defense and #3 played a lot of defense. Pixley and McGill played alot of defense as well. Perhaps it is an effort to keep players fresh. We are so thin in the secondary due to injury. We are going to have to throw a few deep balls, even if they are incomplete, just to keep teams from loading the box.

Ironman some of your comments I can agree with some I cannot. Crybabies in the other thread, come on now. Be a fan and a don't downgrade KIDS. I am sure they do read this. As far as backs go, I agree on 3 maybe getting more playing time. We saw him once and he scored and then not again, but also who carried them all the way down the field, 6. I cannot really judge who is better because this is the first time I have seen them this year, but one carry for 10 or so yards and a TD I would think that he would get some more playing time. You also praised Williams on calling a good game, I think he is doing the best he can if we are beat up as much as everyone says. That many injuries are going to limit you to what you can do, but then you state that that certain backs are not getting many carries, I believe you mentioned Waggoner, 23 right? Who determines who gets the ball?

fairplay also made a goog point, maybe an attempt to keep guys fresh is why we didn't see 3 on offense that much. if he gets dinged up is there a backup left to go in the secondary, if ours wrs are banged up it would make sense that our secondary is also banged up, is that correct?

We are very thin in the secondary. The backups are hard workers IMO, but talent and experience drops off. #2 and #10 would have helped us last night. They should be back eventually. Now #4 is out for a while too. I heard he has a high ankle sprain.

Where is ZCAR? Haven't heard his take on things in a while.

well Leonard and Ladish will be accompanied by 72 Micah Bolden, 79 Ben McFalls, & 42 Ryan Pixley.

as for 4 Tyler Turner, he won't have any trouble battling for starter. Sure he had a few "hiccups" last year, but it was his first year starting behind center. With a year under his belt, he looks to be a good playmaker this year. HOWEVER, in case the injury bug does decide to welcome itself to him once again (knock on wood), backups are very solid with 14 Zach Dowdy, 7 Hunter Snoderly, and 11 Josh Coffman. 2 of the 3 are mobile, and the 2nd-stringer, Dowdy, has had some experience already (such as Maryville, South-Doyle, and the blowouts last year).

But my favorite thing about the team this year, is our depth at runningback. Not only can we go 6 or 7 back, they all have tremendous speed, such as:

23 Kevin Waggoner

42 Ryan Pixley

3 Zach Gibson

32 Daniel Hodge

21 Chris McGill

6 James O'Laughlin

33 Logan Stansberry

SEE YOU THE 22nd

How was your 22 of August, GO REBELS!!!