training

pujo

Looking for some good advise on strength ,speed and quickness training for kids. My oldest son is nearly 12 ,he does jump rope, body weight exercises and some weight lifting. Just trying to be on the safe side,for the time ,I'm staying away from squats ,power cleans and spine loading exercises.

Looking for some good advise on strength ,speed and quickness training for kids. My oldest son is nearly 12 ,he does jump rope, body weight exercises and some weight lifting. Just trying to be on the safe side,for the time ,I'm staying away from squats ,power cleans and spine loading exercises.

I don't like powercleans, but I do like squats.

I believe that they can learn to lift correctly. Don't treat them as you would

high school kids. Learn correct form and make it fun!

Check these links for info........

http://www.netwellness.com/question.cfm/18954.htm

http://missourifamilies.org/features/nutri...ticles/fit4.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/derek42.htm

Good luck!

IMO, 12 is a little bit young for strength training (body not yet ready for it though), but it isn't a bad idea to check out these websites for ideas though. Whatever you do though, be smart about it. Do your homework and do it the right way and don't over do it. Don't get them burn out before middle school or high school.

Thanks for the info and the links, I also like the squats ,just worry about proper form. For his legs he does stepping on the box, lunges, burpees, calf raises and a very tough jump rope routine. Mainly just trying to be safe. THANKS

Search "box squats" and don't let his knees go pasts his toes.

Your his dad, you decide whats best for him.

When he is ready and serious, here is a list of common mistakes that can occur

with lifting programs.

Training too often

Training too long

Performing too many sets/work out

Not going for a "PR" each set

Not eating enough

Not getting enough sleep

Not following a program

Not keeping a log book

Not lifting heavy

Wasting $ on junk supplements

Not doing the right exercises

Training for the "Pump"

Not varying the work out

Using outdated w/out programs

Following Body building mag. advice

Using too many different exercises

Not getting any Cardio

Eating too much protein and not enough carbs (worrying about staying lean!)

Not taking a break every three months (1 week)

AND LAST..................

Allowing your brain to set limits for your body??

Good luck and make it fun.

Thats alot of helpful instruction. You sound very knowledgeable. I try to do total body along with cardio.Alot of times ,he begins with about 20 minutes on the trampoline, its fun and really gets the mucles loose and gets the blood to pumping, he actually only does one set of each exercise except push ups, does them several different ways. We always start with about 10 minutes of jump rope, does them several different ways., Here is the list of what he is doing now, push ups ,chin ups, dips, bench press with dum bells, barbell rows,pullovers and curls 3 times a week. He also works his core and lower body twice a week. The biggest problem for us is time,plays ball year around and I know rest is also extremely important. I guess he does do a form of squats ,its actually squat thrusts with dumbells and he uses a box. Its just not heavy squats with a straight bar. Any more information or ways to mix it up would be appreciated. I want to be educated about all of this. It seems to really help him.

Thats alot of helpful instruction. You sound very knowledgeable. I try to do total body along with cardio.Alot of times ,he begins with about 20 minutes on the trampoline, its fun and really gets the mucles loose and gets the blood to pumping, he actually only does one set of each exercise except push ups, does them several different ways. We always start with about 10 minutes of jump rope, does them several different ways., Here is the list of what he is doing now, push ups ,chin ups, dips, bench press with dum bells, barbell rows,pullovers and curls 3 times a week. He also works his core and lower body twice a week. The biggest problem for us is time,plays ball year around and I know rest is also extremely important. I guess he does do a form of squats ,its actually squat thrusts with dumbells and he uses a box. Its just not heavy squats with a straight bar. Any more information or ways to mix it up would be appreciated. I want to be educated about all of this. It seems to really help him.

I like dumbells for everything! I would get a stability ball for workouts. Have him bench while balancing

his body on the ball. CORE, CORE, CORE....... I would limit workouts to 3 max a week. You don't grow

while working out, you grow when your body rebuilds.

Yeah ,most everything is done with dum bells, also uses rings, pushups are really good on them , really works the stabalizers. He only works 3 days a week,just on 2 of the 3 days he does upper and lower.With only one set ,I don't think he is over doing it. I like the idea of the ball. Its fun to watch the progression. Pretty impressive looking for a kid. Seems to help his self confidence alot. Also works equally well in school. I think it is extremely important to do things with pride, do everything you do to the best of you're ability. I think this will help him the rest of his life. The biggest problem he has is ,people telling him he is going to stunt his growth, common belief in this area, he don't believe it ,but it does bother him. I've researched it and had him read several articles.I tell him not to worry about what other kids think.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesnt matter on age. If you teach proper lifting habits maybe with just a bar for a while till he gets use to it he'll be fine. I started mine when they started growing body hair at the age of 11 and 10. Dont be afraid of squats it is the best all around exercise. there again proper form and get them use to going deep with the bar past parallel his body and you will know when its to to add weight