New A-11 OFFENSE

delayofgame

I would love to see this offense in person. I think it would work great against a smaller (size) team or a slower team.

The problem I see is some officals will keep calling the plays illegal everytime someone tries to use it.

This is a version of the "Lonesome Polecat" except that they use 2 QBs. You are correct Sequatchie, it does benefit teams have speed and quickness. It spreads the field and creates mismatches in space. Saw the "Polecate" used in a game a few years ago at Maryville College. The Scots were playing their rival Emory and Henry. The Wasps came into the game heavily favored to win and secure a NCAA playoff spot. Maryville used the Polecat and caused E and H to use all 3 time-outs in the first half. Maryville gained the momentum and went on to upset the Wasps. The rest of this story affects those in Region 3-3A. The offensive coordinator at Maryville was Charlie Wiggins (HC at Norte Dame). The QB was Brandon Derrick (HC at McMinn Central). Several other Maryville alums off that offensive now coach high school football in ET.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a version of the "Lonesome Polecat" except that they use 2 QBs. You are correct Sequatchie, it does benefit teams have speed and quickness. It spreads the field and creates mismatches in space. Saw the "Polecate" used in a game a few years ago at Maryville College. The Scots were playing their rival Emory and Henry. The Wasps came into the game heavily favored to win and secure a NCAA playoff spot. Maryville used the Polecat and caused E and H to use all 3 time-outs in the first half. Maryville gained the momentum and went on to upset the Wasps. The rest of this story affects those in Region 3-3A. The offensive coordinator at Maryville was Charlie Wiggins (HC at Norte Dame). The QB was Brandon Derrick (HC at McMinn Central). Several other Maryville alums off that offensive now coach high school football in ET.

I remember Sequoyah running something like this a few years back against Polk County. It gave Polk County fits. The first time they lined up Coach Davis said "What the heck is that and called time out. Sequoyah came back out in their regular offensive set and shifted to it and the QB Nathan Walker ran about 85 yards untouched for a TD. Made the scsore tied at halftime. You are right though I belive it woudl be hard to run it for a whole game.

I remember Sequoyah running something like this a few years back against Polk County. It gave Polk County fits. The first time they lined up Coach Davis said "What the heck is that and called time out. Sequoyah came back out in their regular offensive set and shifted to it and the QB Nathan Walker ran about 85 yards untouched for a TD. Made the scsore tied at halftime. You are right though I belive it woudl be hard to run it for a whole game.

It was called gunslinger at Sequoyah and it come from one of our youth league coaches at Vonore. Most defenses are "confused", for lack of a better term, but once they figure out who goes out, and realizes not everyone can advance past the line of scrimmage, they start loading up and going after the QB. Usually just putting two guys on the ones split out. From what we have seen, you do have to pick and choose the times you run it. If you run it all the time, you take the chance of your QB getting killed.

You still have the issue of player numbers to contend with... you can't have 11 guys with eligible numbers on the field at one time. I'll bet you a sack of donuts (I can't eat them anyway) that if this catches on... the NFHS will amend their rules to make some changes because in essence, this is taking advantage of the kicking formation rules that allow an eligible player to be placed in the LS position for kicks. It may take them several years, but I look for a reactive response from the national rules committee.

You still have the issue of player numbers to contend with... you can't have 11 guys with eligible numbers on the field at one time. I'll bet you a sack of donuts (I can't eat them anyway) that if this catches on... the NFHS will amend their rules to make some changes because in essence, this is taking advantage of the kicking formation rules that allow an eligible player to be placed in the LS position for kicks. It may take them several years, but I look for a reactive response from the national rules committee.

Coach:

You're exactly right. This offense is somewhat similar to the old Lonesome Polecat that Tiger Ellison ran back in the 50's, only they use the loophole in the kicking formation rule to their advantage. If they close that loophole, that's the end of that. No loophole, no A-11.

According to that website regarding this offense, there is a laundry list of things to do in order to run this...stuff like sending a letter to your state HS sports body (TSSAA for us), meeting & explaining the offense to officials etc.

I got a kick out of how this one school & their staff (who only ran this for the first time last year & won 7 games..) are putting on clinics for everyone else...make that $$ & strike while the iron is hot! I would be more interested in how much long term success they have with this system.

Good Luck to you this year!

Doesn't Sevier County use this as a punt formation? I know several years ago (maybe 10) Halls played the Smokey Bears and they lined up in punt formation with ever player on the kicking team in an eligible number. Coach Julian never let it bother him, he just played man coverage and no problem.

Coach:

You're exactly right. This offense is somewhat similar to the old Lonesome Polecat that Tiger Ellison ran back in the 50's, only they use the loophole in the kicking formation rule to their advantage. If they close that loophole, that's the end of that. No loophole, no A-11.

According to that website regarding this offense, there is a laundry list of things to do in order to run this...stuff like sending a letter to your state HS sports body (TSSAA for us), meeting & explaining the offense to officials etc.

I got a kick out of how this one school & their staff (who only ran this for the first time last year & won 7 games..) are putting on clinics for everyone else...make that $$ & strike while the iron is hot! I would be more interested in how much long term success they have with this system.

Good Luck to you this year!

I have ran some of the formations but with five lineman spread across the field. The issue for me is the lineman numbers, not the scheme itself.

I wish these guys the best of luck... but it seems like a lot of trouble to get the REF's on board. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the TSSAA when the first team sends them the letter on this one! lol

After checking the rules book it says you have to have a player lined up more than 7 yards to be determined as a kicking formation. If their QB is lined up 7+ yards then the numbers issue is out the window and the formaiton is legal.

ELA you should know this as much as you have coached.

After checking the rules book it says you have to have a player lined up more than 7 yards to be determined as a kicking formation. If their QB is lined up 7+ yards then the numbers issue is out the window and the formaiton is legal.

ELA you should know this as much as you have coached.

I don't disagree with that aspect but the fact you play in a so-called kicking formation the whole time is very strange. Like I said before, it will force the rules committee to make an adjustment that will now affect kicking teams. It may not be this year, but I can promise you the NFHS will have a debate about this new offense.

I don't disagree with that aspect but the fact you play in a so-called kicking formation the whole time is very strange. Like I said before, it will force the rules committee to make an adjustment that will now affect kicking teams. It may not be this year, but I can promise you the NFHS will have a debate about this new offense.

the problem with changing the numbering rule for kickoff teams is in the situation where you best back is also your best or only long snapper. (do you bring an extra jersey?)

i dont think you can or should change the rules... unless maybe if everyone jumped on this offense and run it. right now it would be crazy to change rules for one team that may or may not be successful using this offense.

the problem with changing the numbering rule for kickoff teams is in the situation where you best back is also your best or only long snapper. (do you bring an extra jersey?)

i dont think you can or should change the rules... unless maybe if everyone jumped on this offense and run it. right now it would be crazy to change rules for one team that may or may not be successful using this offense.

My LS is my FB... but he is the only ineligible # on the line. What these guys do is put every player in a number between 1-49 & 80-99. That is what I am talking about. If you stay in that scheme through the whole game it completely changes the game as we know it. ON any down, based on formation, any 6 players are hot including the center. I don't think this is where most folks want to see the game go... Understand, I am not a traditionalist! We run it out of the gun all the time... but I am not in favor of running a modified pole-cat all night long!