Smyrna at Hillsboro

Bulldog86

I just got back from the scrimmage an to some it up it was sloppy. I will say that Smyrna looked to have better talent and more size but very un-disciplined. Our #1 defense jump offside at least 5 times in the 1st 2 sets of plays. Very phisical but had a tough time with their slats.

#1 Smyrna offence look very powerful. Big up front (I mean big) and very quick and shifty backs. #1 QB is a big question mark. He did not look to have a great arm. Floated up a lot of balls and never look like he had a grasp of what his receivers were doing. The #2 QB seem to have a better arm and much better footwork. I'd like to see him with the #1's next week for a look.

Hillsboro was fasts and not very big. As i stated before they ran the slant very well and broke 1 for a TD but as a whole Smyrna's #1's look much better.

I will say this from a Smyrna fan. We better become much more discipline and tackle better. It looked like we hit well but did not rap up very well. Offence needs to sure up a little passing game but the running game is 2nd to none.

All and all I'd say Smyrna Bulldogs will be fine and should be right back in the hunt for a 3rd 5A championship game.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line was that Hillsboro's # 1 Offense March down and scored on the Bulldogs #1 d and that was the only score of the game.

That is not the bottom line in a format like that and you know it. You look at how you players handle situations and formations. There are no game plans or film work. It is not the score in scrimages, it is how your kids play. Come on, you know better then to think a 7-0 score means much right know. And if you feel that Hillsboro was the best team on that feild, that just silly talk.

That is not the bottom line in a format like that and you know it. You look at how you players handle situations and formations. There are no game plans or film work. It is not the score in scrimages, it is how your kids play. Come on, you know better then to think a 7-0 score means much right know. And if you feel that Hillsboro was the best team on that feild, that just silly talk.

Wait, the Smyrna fan says Smyrna was the best team on the field. The Hillsboro fan says Hillsboro was the best team on the field and the score (scrimmage or not) was only 7-0.

Can we not say that they seemed to be pretty evenly matched?

Wait, the Smyrna fan says Smyrna was the best team on the field. The Hillsboro fan says Hillsboro was the best team on the field and the score (scrimmage or not) was only 7-0.

Can we not say that they seemed to be pretty evenly matched?

Does it even matter? Its a scrimmage for crying out loud! The goal is not to determine who is the winner, but to determine where your perspective team needs the most work at.

Does it even matter? Its a scrimmage for crying out loud! The goal is not to determine who is the winner, but to determine where your perspective team needs the most work at.

Amen, This is what im tring to say. 7-0 means nothing, its how your kids play and make adjustments. For example Smyrna had 2 drives stoped after 10 plays and they were running all over Hillsboro. Who is to say if we keep those drives going we dont score or we may fumble or throw an int. Scores tell you nothing in a scrimmage. Thats why in my first comment I tried to point out situations not the score but I guess i hit a nerve early in my posting. Folks will see with me that im a straight shooter. I stated i fell Smyrna has much to work on but I fell they will be a very solid team again.

Amen, This is what im tring to say. 7-0 means nothing, its how your kids play and make adjustments. For example Smyrna had 2 drives stoped after 10 plays and they were running all over Hillsboro. Who is to say if we keep those drives going we dont score or we may fumble or throw an int. Scores tell you nothing in a scrimmage. Thats why in my first comment I tried to point out situations not the score but I guess i hit a nerve early in my posting. Folks will see with me that im a straight shooter. I stated i fell Smyrna has much to work on but I fell they will be a very solid team again.

You also said: "If you feel that Hillsboro was the best team on the field, that just silly talk."

Therefore, you obviously have a problem with saying that the two teams were pretty evenly matched.

However, I would like to make a comparison for you. Oak Ridge beat Maryville 21-6 in a scrimmage yesterday. I don't think anyone outside of Oak Ridge fans actually believe they would beat them in a regular season game though.

So, you are absolutely correct to say that the score in a scrimmage doesn't matter. That being said, I think it should hold some weight that Smyrna's 1st team offense and reserves were not able to score at all against the HHS defense. I mean, Maryville's 1st team offense scored a TD against Oak Ridge yesterday, but their reserves couldn't do anything to score against or stop Oak Ridge's reserves.

Unfortunately, we don't get to see this game during the season due to different classifications. I just am grateful that Hillsboro now schedules the best teams available (i.e. BA, Smyrna, Ensworth) to scrimmage against so we can see how we stack up. It certainly helps prepare us when we play teams like Franklin, MBA, etc.

As for examining your teams strengths and weaknesses in a scrimmage: Hillsboro has quite possibly the best group of skill players in the state. If they can forget about individual glory and come together as a team, they will be pretty good. The defense should be very good. The line is definitely the question mark for HHS, but I think it will be fine and continue improving as the season progresses. Ultimately, Hillsboro should have another great season and hopefully it will culminate with a second State Championship.

Also Eric Gordon didn't even dress out for this game, so there's one of the best players in the state not playing for his team and Hillsboro still managed to do some positive things (they still have a lot of work to do, but so does every other team in the state).

"Therefore, you obviously have a problem with saying that the two teams were pretty evenly matched."

I can say that Hillsboro has a very nice team. If I was asked if they are evenly match I would say this. No question that Hillsboro's passing game was better and were much more discipline. Smyrna controled the ball and is very physical. Smyrna's running game was very strong.

I was very impressed with Hillsboro's team speed and they had a very nice receiver or slot player in #6. Smyrna had 2 speedy and slippery tail backs and very good size on both sides of the ball.

I fell Hillsboro should play right with Franklin Week 0. I look forward to that and will be there.

Good luck Hillsboro this season. Should have a nice season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

"Therefore, you obviously have a problem with saying that the two teams were pretty evenly matched."

I can say that Hillsboro has a very nice team. If I was asked if they are evenly match I would say this. No question that Hillsboro's passing game was better and were much more discipline. Smyrna controled the ball and is very physical. Smyrna's running game was very strong.

I was very impressed with Hillsboro's team speed and they had a very nice receiver or slot player in #6. Smyrna had 2 speedy and slippery tail backs and very good size on both sides of the ball.

I fell Hillsboro should play right with Franklin Week 0. I look forward to that and will be there.

Good luck Hillsboro this season. Should have a nice season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That sounds exactly like what I would surmise as well. Smyrna's biggest advantage over Hillsboro is their O-Line's size.

I think that #6 is the "X-factor" for Hillsboro's passing game this year. He complements Corey Jordan like Wes Welker complemented Randy Moss for the New England Patriots this past year. Then, throw in Alex Crutcher at RB and Eric Gordon rotating in at WR and that makes for a dangerous offense, especially when the O-line begins to mesh a little bit.

Good luck to Smyrna this season as well. I don't see any real reason why ya'll shouldn't make it a three-peat in 5A.

Bottom line was that Hillsboro's # 1 Offense March down and scored on the Bulldogs #1 d and that was the only score of the game.

WOW!!!

You won a scrimmage. How impressive /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'm sure Smyrna was really clicking on all cylinders in their first scrimmage of the year /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Maybe Maplewood should just call the game against Hillsboro off after hearing this news huh??????

WOW!!!

You won a scrimmage. How impressive /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'm sure Smyrna was really clicking on all cylinders in their first scrimmage of the year /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Maybe Maplewood should just call the game against Hillsboro off after hearing this news huh??????

Dude, get over yourself. Maplewood has NOTHING to do with a thread about a Smyrna-Hillsboro scrimmage, yet you choose to bring up the Maplewood-Hillsboro game when no one else mentioned it.

And yes Maplewood should keep their game with Hillsboro scheduled because ya'll need to get beat and leave John Koen stadium with your tail tucked between your legs. It will do you some good to fuel that obsession with Hillsboro football you seem to have. I imagine that obsession will only grow after we are in different regions beginning next season. I certainly hope the wait for the game is enjoyable for you. See ya'll in mid-September.