ensworth

overseascoach

you are correct on that seems they like to go after the skill players over at ensworth as well to recruit uhmm i mean offer an education to...

Perhaps you are doing yourself a disservice by posting on this site. You come off as an underinformed, bitter, man who seems to have lost compassion and reason. You are throwing a lot of "dirt" against the wall, and hoping some sticks. Why not try something informative and productive?

I ask again, as I did in a previous post: Do you have any idea of the number of kids -FROM ALL PARTS OF THE CITY AND REGION, FROM A VARIETY OF RACES, AND MANY OF WHOM ARE FINE ATHLETES- who want to come to Ensworth, BA, MBA, and others, but who are not accepted? How many have to take academic proficiency tests prior to admission? Who's parent seek out these schools because they think they might be safer, have better facilities, smaller class sizes, etc?

No, I didn't think you knew any of this stuff. You just want to vent. Even if it has no basis in fact and puts some kid's family's life history out there for everyone to comment upon. You strike me a fairly small man.

Time for this string to end maybe??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you are doing yourself a disservice by posting on this site. You come off as an underinformed, bitter, man who seems to have lost compassion and reason. You are throwing a lot of "dirt" against the wall, and hoping some sticks. Why not try something informative and productive?

I ask again, as I did in a previous post: Do you have any idea of the number of kids -FROM ALL PARTS OF THE CITY AND REGION, FROM A VARIETY OF RACES, AND MANY OF WHOM ARE FINE ATHLETES- who want to come to Ensworth, BA, MBA, and others, but who are not accepted? How many have to take academic proficiency tests prior to admission? Who's parent seek out these schools because they think they might be safer, have better facilities, smaller class sizes, etc?

No, I didn't think you knew any of this stuff. You just want to vent. Even if it has no basis in fact and puts some kid's family's life history out there for everyone to comment upon. You strike me a fairly small man.

Time for this string to end maybe??

well i think you are doing a disservice by posting on this site as well, you come off as a Ensworth booster looking after the school-No i have no idea how many how many want to go to Ensworth but are not accepted perhaps as this is not public information and something that is private please tell me how you know this and provide me some stats please-

oh i have no doubt parents want thier kid to have the best education and so forth so please remind me that if your tuition is roughly 16,ooo a year how much can one on average get for financial aid (yes, i know depends on parents income etc so for arguments sake Joey Smith parents make 42,000 a year )

you know as well as i do and please dont tell me you need proof that your school although not recruiting does go out of its way to say hello to special athletes ie your QB and tailback along with other "studs"

im tired of you asking me to show proof so why dont you show me some-

I think for the most part we become concerned when athletes are enticed away from public schools by privates. It reeks of exploitation. It smacks of being in the best interest of the SCHOOL and not so much concern for the STUDENT. Proof being the football player in question's brother--where was his scholarship and financial aid? Sometimes these athletes are minorities--maybe to make private schools seem more diverse--"Look we just filled two desires--to be diverse and to have a good football team" I am insulted by the notion that public schools can't or won't provide safe learning environments for students. The VAST majority of students attending public schools come away unharmed physically and with a good education. Education is what you make of it--you can get what you need no matter what the circumstances.

I think for the most part we become concerned when athletes are enticed away from public schools by privates. It reeks of exploitation. It smacks of being in the best interest of the SCHOOL and not so much concern for the STUDENT. Proof being the football player in question's brother--where was his scholarship and financial aid? Sometimes these athletes are minorities--maybe to make private schools seem more diverse--"Look we just filled two desires--to be diverse and to have a good football team" I am insulted by the notion that public schools can't or won't provide safe learning environments for students. The VAST majority of students attending public schools come away unharmed physically and with a good education. Education is what you make of it--you can get what you need no matter what the circumstances.

i agree on the education aspect but we do know and I for one have my daughter at a private school just for the fact that the school does offer her a greater education and for the safety aspect any idiot can come into any school at any time regardless if metro or joe private school... i know that they "really dont recruit" but i can tell you that my daughter(was in middle school) and another girl played for an AAU team that just happend to have its home court at a private high school..My daughter and the other girl dominated and a month later we were approached by yes a coach and some family members of from that private school with the have you looked at our school, we have an open house etc we declined , the other girls parents this accepted and she is enrolled at the school- so maybe that is not recruiting but ...... did they come to the other 8 girls on the team and ask them to attend thier open house heck NO they didnt- AS I SAID stop aasking me for proof i dont have any accept the tidbit that BA gave up its fight with the court battle today- SHOW me some proof that you dont target some inner city kids , minorities or section 8s that stand out in sports stop hiding behind well they need to meet a certain test score, we give them a better education yeah yeah yeah go to church pat urself on the backs for it whats the real motavation.

i agree on the education aspect but we do know and I for one have my daughter at a private school just for the fact that the school does offer her a greater education and for the safety aspect any idiot can come into any school at any time regardless if metro or joe private school... i know that they "really dont recruit" but i can tell you that my daughter(was in middle school) and another girl played for an AAU team that just happend to have its home court at a private high school..My daughter and the other girl dominated and a month later we were approached by yes a coach and some family members of from that private school with the have you looked at our school, we have an open house etc we declined , the other girls parents this accepted and she is enrolled at the school- so maybe that is not recruiting but ...... did they come to the other 8 girls on the team and ask them to attend thier open house heck NO they didnt- AS I SAID stop aasking me for proof i dont have any accept the tidbit that BA gave up its fight with the court battle today- SHOW me some proof that you dont target some inner city kids , minorities or section 8s that stand out in sports stop hiding behind well they need to meet a certain test score, we give them a better education yeah yeah yeah go to church pat urself on the backs for it whats the real motavation.

So what is your daughter's name and what school is it so I can turn them in for investigation.

So what is your daughter's name and what school is it so I can turn them in for investigation.

yeah hold on i will get that too you soon - - - so why is that wrong if they asked us to attend an open house > note my daughter is not at this school>

are not must of these kids at Ensworth and Joe Private High School are they not contacted during a football camp or somewhere like that -

Oh wow - ya'll are actually parents talking about this stuff - even bringing your kids into it. Wow, wow. Does anyone want to talk about Ensworth and their place in DII football?

I say they are middle of the road. The pendulum can literally swing either way with this team. They can be great but they also exemplify some notable lethargy and a lack of "want to" that could get them destroyed. Don't they focus on basketball more than anything else? Looking at them, the football team looks like basketball players.

I just hope that someone can really shake it up in DII with MBA & BA. I hear McCallie is expecting some big things this year.

But again - wow - ya'll talked 7 pages about essentially nothing but rumors and who said, she said, I know more than you stuff.

Ensworth will not be middle of the road. They have a few athletes that are on a different level and the focus on them keeps a bunch of the great players in the shadows. Guys like Sam Cooper who had four sacks in the hillsborro scrimmage or myers beard who started as a sophmore as a linebacker and played exceptionally. The list goes on and on... Jacob Carter. Watson Sweat David Davis. Rodney Anderson. All of these players and honestly two or three more have a chance to play d1 ball. Ensworth steam roll through their schedule (partially cause its not that tough) and even the teams that are good such as MBA McCalie and Ryan... stand more than a fair chance at loosing. Not to mention the coaching staff that consists of Ricky Bowers, Coach Caudill, Coach Hyatt, and many other great coaches. Ensworth was a solid team last year and did its best considering what it had to work with but this year i think they are gonna come out loaded for grizzly. I know they are all pumped about the MBA game and i wouldnt be surprised to hear some WEEK 6 talk here pretty soon.

Ensworth will not be middle of the road. They have a few athletes that are on a different level and the focus on them keeps a bunch of the great players in the shadows. Guys like Sam Cooper who had four sacks in the hillsborro scrimmage or myers beard who started as a sophmore as a linebacker and played exceptionally. The list goes on and on... Jacob Carter. Watson Sweat David Davis. Rodney Anderson. All of these players and honestly two or three more have a chance to play d1 ball. Ensworth steam roll through their schedule (partially cause its not that tough) and even the teams that are good such as MBA McCalie and Ryan... stand more than a fair chance at loosing. Not to mention the coaching staff that consists of Ricky Bowers, Coach Caudill, Coach Hyatt, and many other great coaches. Ensworth was a solid team last year and did its best considering what it had to work with but this year i think they are gonna come out loaded for grizzly. I know they are all pumped about the MBA game and i wouldnt be surprised to hear some WEEK 6 talk here pretty soon.

I agree that Ensworth has a chance to be really good this year. I don't know a lot about them except that they have exceptional skill players, and great coaching. Depth will always be an issue for Ensworth. If they lose a few of the starting 22 they could have problems. Ensworth being co-ed, and having class sizes roughly the same size as MBA means they will 1/2 as many boys available for football. I know (at least I think I know) that Ensworth aspires to excell at everything. academics, sports, theater, music, debate, so they can't just fill up their 50-60 spots for boys with football players.

I tried to post his earlier but somehow it didn't go through. This is my take on the recruiting issue in DII. I agree with The Ensworth Mom who made the point that the private schols have to recruit all of their students, no boys are zoned to go to MBA, the school has to make them and their parents want to come. There was an article in the City Paper this week that stated that 18% of the students at MBA receive financial aid. I have no idea who those students are (nor should I). It would be fair to assume that some of them are athletes. My opinion on offering financial aid to athletes is that as long as it is done with in the rules of the TSSAA, that all of the member schools have agreed to, then it is acceptable.

I hate to go here (no I don't really, I love to stir the pot) but I am afraid that there is an undercurrent of race in this discussion. When someone sees an African-American playing for MBA or Ensworth, or BA, they immediately think that kid must be recruited and getting financial aid (I know this is a gross generalization), especially if that kid is a good player. For all any of us know that kids Mom or Dad could be a heart surgeon at Vanderbilt, or a professor at TSU. I think we need to be real careful with this conversation.

I still havent heard anything on the young man from Mt. Pleasant whats his progress, how is he doing on the gridiron

I still havent heard anything on the young man from Mt. Pleasant whats his progress, how is he doing on the gridiron

I have seen play in two scrimmages (Hillsboro and Ravenwood). He is playing somewhat sparingly, but has done well defending the rush, and rushing the passer. Put a lot of pressure on the Hillsoboro quarterback, but did not play a smuch against Ravenwood (EHS 14, Revenwood 6).