ensworth

overseascoach

well i think you are doing a disservice by posting on this site as well, you come off as a Ensworth booster looking after the school-No i have no idea how many how many want to go to Ensworth but are not accepted perhaps as this is not public information and something that is private please tell me how you know this and provide me some stats please-

oh i have no doubt parents want thier kid to have the best education and so forth so please remind me that if your tuition is roughly 16,ooo a year how much can one on average get for financial aid (yes, i know depends on parents income etc so for arguments sake Joey Smith parents make 42,000 a year )

you know as well as i do and please dont tell me you need proof that your school although not recruiting does go out of its way to say hello to special athletes ie your QB and tailback along with other "studs"

im tired of you asking me to show proof so why dont you show me some-

I agree with you coach. It seems like we have examples of "recruiting" yet they still haven't explained why they don't offer anything to the mid-range athletes that want a good education as well. If they want students there are plenty of billboards around town that can be bought, ads that can be taken out in the local paper and many other ways to solicit perspective students. They, however, tend to frequent the sports events and camps and hand pick the "student" athlete" with the promise of a good education. Why it is considered a "good education" and public school isn't, I'm not sure. Is it because they charge $16,000 a year? I know a child that is moving from a private school much like Ensworth and that child had to do work over the summer just to catch up to where the public school was in terms of curriculum so they must not be that much better off. Maybe they feel better about it because they pay so much for it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you coach. It seems like we have examples of "recruiting" yet they still haven't explained why they don't offer anything to the mid-range athletes that want a good education as well. If they want students there are plenty of billboards around town that can be bought, ads that can be taken out in the local paper and many other ways to solicit perspective students. They, however, tend to frequent the sports events and camps and hand pick the "student" athlete" with the promise of a good education. Why it is considered a "good education" and public school isn't, I'm not sure. Is it because they charge $16,000 a year? I know a child that is moving from a private school much like Ensworth and that child had to do work over the summer just to catch up to where the public school was in terms of curriculum so they must not be that much better off. Maybe they feel better about it because they pay so much for it.

and mtpigers i so agree with you - they are always so quick to point out no evidence , but where is thier proof they dont recruit or like they always say help out a child that deserves a great education-this is not about race as one poster tried to point out its about them going after any kid that could help them on the football field-they know all too well that there are ways to get a stud interested in thier school --stop telling me you know so many that applied and couldnt get in ( I guess you have a big social circle seeing that all that info is confidential ) as i said in my earlier post my daughter and her teamate friend were asked to attend an open house by a certain school,was it by chance that they were the two stars of the team srring that the other gals on the AAU team didnt get invited to the open house -

There are rules in force that have been agreed upon by the TSSAA (representing the both public and private schools) and the DII schools about giving financial aid. As long as the DII schools stay within those rules they can disburse the aid anyway they chose. It is really none of anyones business how these schools attract students unless they cheat, and recruiting is not the same as cheating.

The City Paper article this week stated that MBA gave out nearly $1,000,000 in financial aid in the 2006-07 school year to 18% of the student body. That means the average grant was around $8000. The total cost to attend was close to $18,000 that year when you figure in lunches, and books etc. Does MBA sponsor summer camps...yes. They also open up the facilities to youth leagues free of charge to help showcase the school. You are right there are a lot of ways to attract families, and sports is one of them. 18% of MBA's student body represents about 120 boys, and I assure you that all of those 120 boys were not athletes. I would also be willing to bet that among the athletes who received financial aid, they brought something to the table besides just sports. They might be great students, or artists, or musicians, any number of things as well as athletes.

We chose MBA over public schools for a number of reasons. I am a big believer in the value of single sex education in high school. My oldest son once said going to high school with all boys was worth 10 points to his average, girls would be that much of a distraction (he enjoys the distraction in college though). There are fewer disicpline problems and when they occur they can be dealt with. 100% of the students at MBA go on to college. I doubt any Metro High School with the exception of Hume Fogg and MLK can make the same claim, and the atmosphere at HF & MLK are not what my boys wanted (no football etc). MBA offers small class sizes and a tremendous faculty. If a teacher is not doing a good job they can get rid of them (this rarely if ever happens), there is no MNEA to contend with. They offer AP classes in everything. Year in and year out the have the highest number of National Merit Scholars in the state, and among the top 5% of schools in the nation as a percentage of the student body. Hey Mr. Gioia, are you reading this maybe you ought to hire me to handle PR...haha

and mtpigers i so agree with you - they are always so quick to point out no evidence , but where is thier proof they dont recruit or like they always say help out a child that deserves a great education-this is not about race as one poster tried to point out its about them going after any kid that could help them on the football field-they know all too well that there are ways to get a stud interested in thier school --stop telling me you know so many that applied and couldnt get in ( I guess you have a big social circle seeing that all that info is confidential ) as i said in my earlier post my daughter and her teamate friend were asked to attend an open house by a certain school,was it by chance that they were the two stars of the team srring that the other gals on the AAU team didnt get invited to the open house -

Wow, your arguement has deteriorated all the way to the point of, "I can't prove you do, so how bout you prove that you don't."

That's pretty sophisticated. You want proof. I can show you 110 examples in each class who have all passed the entrance exam, done the work, and graduated to go on to bigger and better things. I would think that Notre Dame would touch on the fact that in America the burden of proof lies with the accuser. All you have to do is name one child, one school, and give one tiny little smidge of evidence.

I would also remind you to watch the newspapers this fall. You will see ads about open houses from most of the schools. I recall last fall specifically seeing ads from MBA, Ensworth, BGA and FRA. I am pretty sure the ad from MBA said something about financial aid being available.

Oh ya, and I don't think the ads were limited to the sports section either.

I still havent heard anything on (name deleted) the young man from Mt. Pleasant whats his progress, how is he doing on the gridiron

I have seen (name deleted) play in two scrimmages (Hillsboro and Ravenwood). He is playing somewhat sparingly, but has done well defending the rush, and rushing the passer. Put a lot of pressure on the Hillsoboro quarterback, but did not play a smuch against Ravenwood (EHS 14, Revenwood 6).

If you were knowledgeable enough about what was going on the field, you would have probably not have posted the JV score. So here is the correction and I'll leave it at that.

First half Varsity, EHS 0, Ravenwood 0

Second Half JV, EHS 14, Ravenwood 6

Wow, your arguement has deteriorated all the way to the point of, "I can't prove you do, so how bout you prove that you don't."

That's pretty sophisticated. You want proof. I can show you 110 examples in each class who have all passed the entrance exam, done the work, and graduated to go on to bigger and better things. I would think that Notre Dame would touch on the fact that in America the burden of proof lies with the accuser. All you have to do is name one child, one school, and give one tiny little smidge of evidence.

with your MBA sheep skin you should read between the lines becasue all you ever ask is where is the evidence so i turned it around - yeah 110 kids is great but what is that telling me i can tell you a public shcool that graduated 590 kids went on to bigger better things so???? I asked for proof bc so many said i know alot of kids that wanted to go to Joe Private School but couldnt get in was just asking how they got their stats.......Notre Dame aside, no one is accusing you i am just telling you that there are ways to entice a prospective athlete to your school instead of calling it recruiting. . . . . . .

I would also remind you to watch the newspapers this fall. You will see ads about open houses from most of the schools. I recall last fall specifically seeing ads from MBA, Ensworth, BGA and FRA. I am pretty sure the ad from MBA said something about financial aid being available.

Oh ya, and I don't think the ads were limited to the sports section either.

oh i have no problem with you giving aid at all and i am all for it, i am just asking how some of these kids decide on that school - you mean to tell me a booster, coach , a camp helps the kid with his choice at all ? What fool that lives in a horrible area and bad public school system would decline a ride to MBA- ( for knowledge sake at MBA and I said before if i had a son that would be my choice, but as is daughter catholic school) anyways MBA tuition about 18000? if joe from mt pleasants family income is 34000 year how much aid can he recieve?

My point about race was this. No one except the financial aid committee at the school knows who gets financial aid, and who doesn't. I hear a lot of assumptions being made because MBA has this many African-American players, or BA has that many, they must be "recruiting". Sorry to tell you but it ain't necessarily so, as the old broadway song goes.

My point about race was this. No one except the financial aid committee at the school knows who gets financial aid, and who doesn't. I hear a lot of assumptions being made because MBA has this many African-American players, or BA has that many, they must be "recruiting". Sorry to tell you but it ain't necessarily so, as the old broadway song goes.

as i said no one said you are recruiting just enticing these kids to your school-okay you said """" i hear a lot of assumptions being made because MBA has this many African-American players, or BA has that many, """

well then tell me the number of african americans on the football team compared to the student body ? We not give that african american kid that plays the tuba an offer to attend the school ? Fine I agree you dont recruit ... liike i mentioned bout my daughter and her friend that was not recruiting - they saw two girls that could play and they wanted them to come to an open house, i guess the other girls were deemed not smart enought to get in

oh i have no problem with you giving aid at all and i am all for it, i am just asking how some of these kids decide on that school - you mean to tell me a booster, coach , a camp helps the kid with his choice at all ? What fool that lives in a horrible area and bad public school system would decline a ride to MBA- ( for knowledge sake at MBA and I said before if i had a son that would be my choice, but as is daughter catholic school) anyways MBA tuition about 18000? if joe from mt pleasants family income is 34000 year how much aid can he recieve?

My boys have graduated so i don't know what the cost is this year. As far as the formula for figuring aid amount based on income, I don't know that either. The parents get all of their financial information together (income, assets, tax returns) and ship all off along with an application to a place in Princeton NJ. They run it all through their computer and the computer spits out an amount that the family is expected to contribute. You kind of have it backwards. The computer does not tell the school how much aid they can give, they tell the school how much the family needs to contribute. Under TSSAA rules the school can give aid up to the amount of the cost minus the family contribution.

If you haven't sent kids to college yet you will encounter this same language when working with financial aid in college.

as i said no one said you are recruiting just enticing these kids to your school-okay you said """" i hear a lot of assumptions being made because MBA has this many African-American players, or BA has that many, """

well then tell me the number of african americans on the football team compared to the student body ? We not give that african american kid that plays the tuba an offer to attend the school ? Fine I agree you dont recruit ... liike i mentioned bout my daughter and her friend that was not recruiting - they saw two girls that could play and they wanted them to come to an open house, i guess the other girls were deemed not smart enought to get in

MBA doesn't have a marching band so we don't have a tuba player (just joshin). I don't know the statistics as far as the ratio of African-American football players to the number of African-American students as a whole. I do know that all of the black football players last year were gifted in other areas.

As far as recruiting goes, I am not saying we don't. In fact I am saying exactly the opposite. We have to recruit all of our students. There is a lot that goes into that I am sure, beyond sports and financial aid. I have no problem offering a boy financial aid to play sports at any DII school as long as it is done within the rules of the TSSAA, so all the DII schools are operating on a level playing field. I am confident that all students at MBA are treated the same. The financial aid students are not seperated out, there is no special curriculum for football players etc. All of the students are treated the same. I have no first hand knowledge about the other DII schools, but I hope it is the same there as well.