Speed and Quickness

compusatman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know so much more now than 30 years ago about the kinetics, physiology, and training to increase one's speed and quickness.

From what I've seen is that you can improve your speed and increase your quickness through learning how to run properly and efficiently, and training your quick twitch muscles specifically for the task. I have seen many speed "camps" and the training involved, and also have seen the efforts done at the collegiate and professional level.

That being said, you cannot make a guy who runs a 5.9 40 into a guy who will run 4.5. I have seen improvements by as much as .5 seconds in the 40, but that is the extreme end. Most athletes might gain .3 at best. What I've seen the most is "functional" improvement in speed and quickness; that is where the athlete can become more efficient in doing the task. For example, a wide receiver being taught how to lengthen their stride and bring their knees up higher to acheive faster acceleration. They're not necessarily "faster", but functionally they are better.

Working with high school kids is problematic, as their musculature and commitment to work is developing and not yet at their peak.

We know so much more now than 30 years ago about the kinetics, physiology, and training to increase one's speed and quickness.

From what I've seen is that you can improve your speed and increase your quickness through learning how to run properly and efficiently, and training your quick twitch muscles specifically for the task. I have seen many speed "camps" and the training involved, and also have seen the efforts done at the collegiate and professional level.

That being said, you cannot make a guy who runs a 5.9 40 into a guy who will run 4.5. I have seen improvements by as much as .5 seconds in the 40, but that is the extreme end. Most athletes might gain .3 at best. What I've seen the most is "functional" improvement in speed and quickness; that is where the athlete can become more efficient in doing the task. For example, a wide receiver being taught how to lengthen their stride and bring their knees up higher to acheive faster acceleration. They're not necessarily "faster", but functionally they are better.

Working with high school kids is problematic, as their musculature and commitment to work is developing and not yet at their peak.

I started this thread because I'm tired of talking about who's better than who. And since you are the only taker after a day I can conclude that most here on T feel you can't improve on genetics. From my experience I have seen drastic improvements in agility and execution. I have seen quantifiable results in speed but have not documented it. I don't feel the individuals that are experts in this area will disclose any secrets on a message board but at least comment on the fact that these schools exist and are producing results.

That said I understand from my experience that the form factor and core training are where you begin. And yes, that is a long term achievement. I think results can be expected immediately but incrementally.

When I noticed my daughter was faster than my son I studied their gait to find out why. I discovered my son ran with his legs and my daughter ran with her hips. My daughter's hips would disconnect on each thrust allowing her to have a much longer gait and cover much more ground. her recovery speed (leg speed) was the same as my sons...maybe just a bit slower but because she covered more ground at almost the same speed she would overtake him. I say overtake because he had more explosion than she and always came out of the block "quicker". I discovered that was a teachable technique. Most coaches teach to pump your fist forward to achieve more thrust. This actually exaserbates the problem. I discovered that instead pumping your elbows backwards caused a dramatic increase in hip displacement. Causing the hips to twist pulling the leg with it putting the foot in a more forward position. Much like a model walking a runway but more exagerated. In practice this must be done at a walking pace and gradually worked up to a slow run. Changing technique always takes time especially when you must reprogram your body for a different task. It is the form that must be learned first.

The other part of my speed education is alternate training. Football requires many different types of strength and speed therefore the training must incorporate all these forms. I think everyone is attuned to the fact that core training is a must but I don't think very many people at all are aware what choices are available for that core training. Most athletes get in the weight room and do exercises for "core" training as set forth for them by a personal trainer. This is fine and good but there are 3 diciplines that actually provide everything needed for core training. These are Ballet, Gymnastics, and Taekwondo. Not many Martial Arts provide the vast core training that Taekwondo does though their are a few.

These alternate training routines coupled with the "hip displacement method" are required building blocks for increasing speed and quickness. The three diciplines actually incorporate hip displacement as part of their regular core training.

If anyone has anything helpful to add to this regimen please educate us instead to fight about who has the best QB.

I started this thread because I'm tired of talking about who's better than who. And since you are the only taker after a day I can conclude that most here on T feel you can't improve on genetics. From my experience I have seen drastic improvements in agility and execution. I have seen quantifiable results in speed but have not documented it. I don't feel the individuals that are experts in this area will disclose any secrets on a message board but at least comment on the fact that these schools exist and are producing results.

That said I understand from my experience that the form factor and core training are where you begin. And yes, that is a long term achievement. I think results can be expected immediately but incrementally.

When I noticed my daughter was faster than my son I studied their gait to find out why. I discovered my son ran with his legs and my daughter ran with her hips. My daughter's hips would disconnect on each thrust allowing her to have a much longer gait and cover much more ground. her recovery speed (leg speed) was the same as my sons...maybe just a bit slower but because she covered more ground at almost the same speed she would overtake him. I say overtake because he had more explosion than she and always came out of the block "quicker". I discovered that was a teachable technique. Most coaches teach to pump your fist forward to achieve more thrust. This actually exaserbates the problem. I discovered that instead pumping your elbows backwards caused a dramatic increase in hip displacement. Causing the hips to twist pulling the leg with it putting the foot in a more forward position. Much like a model walking a runway but more exagerated. In practice this must be done at a walking pace and gradually worked up to a slow run. Changing technique always takes time especially when you must reprogram your body for a different task. It is the form that must be learned first.

The other part of my speed education is alternate training. Football requires many different types of strength and speed therefore the training must incorporate all these forms. I think everyone is attuned to the fact that core training is a must but I don't think very many people at all are aware what choices are available for that core training. Most athletes get in the weight room and do exercises for "core" training as set forth for them by a personal trainer. This is fine and good but there are 3 diciplines that actually provide everything needed for core training. These are Ballet, Gymnastics, and Taekwondo. Not many Martial Arts provide the vast core training that Taekwondo does though their are a few.

These alternate training routines coupled with the "hip displacement method" are required building blocks for increasing speed and quickness. The three diciplines actually incorporate hip displacement as part of their regular core training.

If anyone has anything helpful to add to this regimen please educate us instead to fight about who has the best QB.

Another sport you might want to look into that improves core strength along with explosive power, balance,flexibility,stamina and a work ethic like no other is wrestling. I have been involved in sports my whole life either participating or coaching and there is no other sport that has so many physical benefits as well as teaching youngsters to be competetive. Last August when it was so hot and we started summer football practice the kids were exhausted and whining about the heat except for my wrestlers. My 11 year old looked at the team and said, " you guys wouldnt make it through warm ups in wrestling practice". He wasnt far off of the mark with that comment. You should check into it, I can assure you it will do wonders for all his other sports. Chances are he will fall in love with it. I asked my youth baseball and football teams what their favorite sport is and I got different answer from all them. I asked my wrestling team that question and it was 100% wrestling.

Another sport you might want to look into that improves core strength along with explosive power, balance,flexibility,stamina and a work ethic like no other is wrestling. I have been involved in sports my whole life either participating or coaching and there is no other sport that has so many physical benefits as well as teaching youngsters to be competetive. Last August when it was so hot and we started summer football practice the kids were exhausted and whining about the heat except for my wrestlers. My 11 year old looked at the team and said, " you guys wouldnt make it through warm ups in wrestling practice". He wasnt far off of the mark with that comment. You should check into it, I can assure you it will do wonders for all his other sports. Chances are he will fall in love with it. I asked my youth baseball and football teams what their favorite sport is and I got different answer from all them. I asked my wrestling team that question and it was 100% wrestling.

Right on it Youthcoach16, There is not a better sport or activity out the that puts your in better phisical shape then wrestling. You want quickness, reaction time, balance, self discipline, Wrestling is the way to go. The only draw back is the weight fluctuations. I never worryed about it because I was a heavy weight from my freshmen year but some young men would lose and gain weight so quickly just to get a match up they wanted I think that is dangerous and un-healthy.

Right on it Youthcoach16, There is not a better sport or activity out the that puts your in better phisical shape then wrestling. You want quickness, reaction time, balance, self discipline, Wrestling is the way to go. The only draw back is the weight fluctuations. I never worryed about it because I was a heavy weight from my freshmen year but some young men would lose and gain weight so quickly just to get a match up they wanted I think that is dangerous and un-healthy.

Yes, the drastic weight loss has been an ongoing issue for many years. In the last few years on the high school level there have been measures implemented to insure no unsafe weight cuts. wrestling does get a bad rap though when it comes to weight loss. One of the reasons is becasue the participants are weighed so much so its evident when kids are cutting a lot of weight. Here is a fact that nobody takes into consideration though. If a kid cuts 3-5 lbs to make his weight class its looked upon as a bad thing. But if you weighed football players before practice i gurantee you they are losing at least that much every single practice (especially during the summer). The same goes for cross country runners, basketball players ect... All of these kids are losing "water weight" when practicing but its only pointed out about wrestling. That being said, there are numerous people who do lose too much weight and more importantly go about it the wrong way. As far as the youth level wrestling goes the majority of the kids do not cut any weight at all.

Since this thread is on a high school football page, I was (am) assuming that your questions relate specifically to football.

Training a track sprinter to become faster involves different techniques than training a football player to become faster.

One of the areas you correctly identified is the aspect of core strength and flexibility, and more specific hip flexibility. This flexibility allows for quicker change of pace and acceleration. I don't think generally enough time is spent on creating a flexible, explosive hip girdle.

High school weight programs for linemen concentrate on the explosive end of hip strength. However, not much is done for the DB's, RB's, QB's or WR's to amplify the flexibility as well as strength.

It is interesting that many kids today really don't know how to run effectively. I think a large part of that is too many concentrating on one sport too soon. Running basepaths, changing directions on a basketball court, swimming for distance, stop and start acceleration in soccer, or riding your bike all the time; too many athletes do one and not all of these things that will make you more flexible and create a mental picture of the different types of strength you need to be an athlete.

Some of the speed coaches I have seen worked with Pilates a great deal as well as stretching exercises. Some have redescovered the medicine ball or bells. All of this, plus really running will improve the most athletes abilities.

I think speed and quickness are God given period...but they can both be improved and perfected. It’s really as simple as that. Through some of these long post one thing that was said that really sums it all up is that “you cannot make a guy who runs a 5.9 40 into a guy who will run 4.5.”. I believe that alone is the answer to the question.

Since this thread is on a high school football page, I was (am) assuming that your questions relate specifically to football.

Training a track sprinter to become faster involves different techniques than training a football player to become faster.

One of the areas you correctly identified is the aspect of core strength and flexibility, and more specific hip flexibility. This flexibility allows for quicker change of pace and acceleration. I don't think generally enough time is spent on creating a flexible, explosive hip girdle.

High school weight programs for linemen concentrate on the explosive end of hip strength. However, not much is done for the DB's, RB's, QB's or WR's to amplify the flexibility as well as strength.

It is interesting that many kids today really don't know how to run effectively. I think a large part of that is too many concentrating on one sport too soon. Running basepaths, changing directions on a basketball court, swimming for distance, stop and start acceleration in soccer, or riding your bike all the time; too many athletes do one and not all of these things that will make you more flexible and create a mental picture of the different types of strength you need to be an athlete.

Some of the speed coaches I have seen worked with Pilates a great deal as well as stretching exercises. Some have redescovered the medicine ball or bells. All of this, plus really running will improve the most athletes abilities.

How do you promote flexibilty in the hip girdle? Do you think it is also possible that one of the reasons we see more torn hamstrings, ligaments ectt... is because not enough emphasis is placed on flexibility? I agree, too many kids are doing only one thing these days and training only certain muscle groups year round.

How do you promote flexibilty in the hip girdle? Do you think it is also possible that one of the reasons we see more torn hamstrings, ligaments ectt... is because not enough emphasis is placed on flexibility? I agree, too many kids are doing only one thing these days and training only certain muscle groups year round.

It can effectively be taught to high school kids. the biggest jump that we have had is .7 sec. of course we dont want to give this valuable info to those who may not know, but form, hip explosion, and leg strength are the key(in that order).