Speed and Quickness

compusatman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed as a rule is inherited but it can be enhanced. And the great runners are born.

I agree with this statement 150%

Speed can not be taught!

Sure someone can become leaner and gain speed, as well as they can gain strength in their legs and get quicker.

But anyone that is purely fast is born with that speed.

How do you promote flexibilty in the hip girdle? Do you think it is also possible that one of the reasons we see more torn hamstrings, ligaments ectt... is because not enough emphasis is placed on flexibility? I agree, too many kids are doing only one thing these days and training only certain muscle groups year round.

Don't scoff, but one sure fire method is yoga. Trying it one time will show inflexible you really are. A another great one is Ta'i Chi.

Lap swimming also promotes flexiblity in the hips. The key is to stretch the muscles while you are making them stronger. Pilates also helps.

The problem of blown out hamstrings,knees, etc. in my opinion is the overdevelopment in strength training of one group of muscles and not as much attention to the opposite group (abductor vs. adductor, quads vs. hams and buttocks and so forth). Couple that with insufficient warming up and cooling down, and a lack of flexibility and presto you've got problems.

Don't scoff, but one sure fire method is yoga. Trying it one time will show inflexible you really are. A another great one is Ta'i Chi.

Lap swimming also promotes flexiblity in the hips. The key is to stretch the muscles while you are making them stronger. Pilates also helps.

The problem of blown out hamstrings,knees, etc. in my opinion is the overdevelopment in strength training of one group of muscles and not as much attention to the opposite group (abductor vs. adductor, quads vs. hams and buttocks and so forth). Couple that with insufficient warming up and cooling down, and a lack of flexibility and presto you've got problems.

You're right about yoga and pilates. They are a good combination for increasing flexibility, strength, and endurance. For someone who isn't flexible and doing yoga for the first time, it takes time and patience to get that needed flexibility. It won't happen overnight so don't force it in one session. Make sure to work at your own ability level and stick with it.