Oakland Football 2008

Welcom Fellow Patriots to Oakland Football 2008! I confess to try to keep a straight face and keep it all in perspective, based on past season, but when you see the excitement generated by the players and the shear massive amount of guys out for football, its hard not to keep that excitement contained!

I confess to not having a roster, but what I saw of the team overall I like pretty much. I felt our defense showed good speed, along with discipline in staying home on their assignments.

Offensively, we had some problems holding onto the football and what not, but certainly werent short of big plays, least when I was there. I will say it is refreshing to see an Offense that strives for balance, and a coaching staff that isnt too set in its ways. The influx of speed is obvious on both sides, but was more needed on the offensive side of the ball in my opinion. I think it is pretty apparent that Precious will assume the role as feature back and will be given his chance to shine. He looked pretty good today early on.

Defense is not something that I was worried about going into the preseason, its always been a staple of Oakland to have a solid, hard-nosed defense and that seems to be no exception this year. I think the new scheme allows to more adequately attack offense that like to have a good short to intermediate passing game to set up the run, but it does leave us a little vulnerable to the deep with a cover 3.

Overall, not too bad, but I think friday's scrimmage will give folks a better idea of where Oakland stands at this point. I think Oakland could certainly compete for a playoff spot, but I think once the system is in place for a few years, Oakland will def be a force to reckon with.............

Also, hopefully there is some Oakland fan out there with a roster, if so, it would be very much appreciated. Hard to put a name with a number with so many out there this year.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, hopefully there is some Oakland fan out there with a roster, if so, it would be very much appreciated. Hard to put a name with a number with so many out there this year.

Isn't that a nice problem to have...always nice to have a lot of players out contributing. What was the score in the scrimmage?

Isn't that a nice problem to have...always nice to have a lot of players out contributing. What was the score in the scrimmage?

Honestly, I left early so I couldnt really tell you, but I know Oakland's 1's scored at least 4 times, 2 times on the defense forcing turnovers. Warren Co's first 3 plays were fumble, fumble, int. I think its safe to say that the front 7(or 8) for Oakland, will be a reliable strength this season.

I split my time watching the big guys and the freshmen team, but when I was watching the varsity the defense looked good( the secondary was nothing short of electrifying, IMO). The offense is going to have to work hard, but I think they can get to were they need to be before the season starts. Early on it looks like this can be a good season, only time will tell now.

as i read the threads on oakland...i am excited for you the fans and the players...this is good for our region...for oakland and for high school football...

there is certainly alot to work with...alot of players...talent...facilities....new excited coaching staff and a principal who will make sure it happens

congrads...

PBD

The defense looked good. With alittle more experience they could be one of the top defenses in the region I think. However the offense is flat out awful. That is the nicest thing I could say about it. They need alot of work and it starts with the exchange from the center to qb. I think they fumbled the snap 4 times. When they did get a clean snap, there was problems with the hand off to the running back. There was a glimmer of hope however. I don't know his name but running back #34 ran to the outside and took it about 30 yards twice. When our QB rolls out he can make some decent passes as well. There is still alot of work to be done by the start of the season, but I am confident the coaches will get the job done.

The defense looked good. With alittle more experience they could be one of the top defenses in the region I think. However the offense is flat out awful. That is the nicest thing I could say about it. They need alot of work and it starts with the exchange from the center to qb. I think they fumbled the snap 4 times. When they did get a clean snap, there was problems with the hand off to the running back. There was a glimmer of hope however. I don't know his name but running back #34 ran to the outside and took it about 30 yards twice. When our QB rolls out he can make some decent passes as well. There is still alot of work to be done by the start of the season, but I am confident the coaches will get the job done.

It used to be when you got players from Central Middle they at least were schooled in the fundamentals. Coach Forrest saw to that. Now with the new leadership at Central Middle, they don't even have that. Just a matter now of somebody actually coaching them and NOT being just one of the BOYS that goes out and plays with them. Now if the young players are willing to actually work and not have attitudes they will progress. If not then they will not succeed in anything.

Now we just have to wait and see if they are going to work and be real players or will they just want to play and be wannabes. One thing is for sure though, having Mommy come and throw a fit will NOT cut it with this coaching staff either. Siegel can have those! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Bring on the "Battle of the BORO"! It means something AGAIN! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Want some opinions on how tonight's scrimmage went, before I chime in with my own...............

Just left the scrimmage and I have to say that this is a different team. Congrats to Coach McDaniel and his staff. The charge you feel is electric! What I saw is tremendous difference from years past. OHS has always had the talent, just not the coaching to pull it together. What about #5? How many TD's did he get? Great job, Oakland. Can't wait for the Battle of the Boro....should bring back the REAL battle. I saw a lot of former players there. I felt bad for them cause they never had this chance. But once a Patriot always a Patriot. True Patriots will come back to support their team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Just left the scrimmage and I have to say that this is a different team. Congrats to Coach McDaniel and his staff. The charge you feel is electric! What I saw is tremendous difference from years past. OHS has always had the talent, just not the coaching to pull it together. What about #5? How many TD's did he get? Great job, Oakland. Can't wait for the Battle of the Boro....should bring back the REAL battle. I saw a lot of former players there. I felt bad for them cause they never had this chance. But once a Patriot always a Patriot. True Patriots will come back to support their team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I no doubt echo those sentiments, but I cant help but feel as if Brentwood Academy held something back tonight in some shape or form, its just hard for me to comprehend Oakland being that good or BA being that bad............

I was unable to attend the scrimmage however I was told that Precious had a touchdown and BJ Nelson had 4 to his credit. BJ is quite the athlete. I am also worried about the score. I love that Oakland got a confidence booster, however the talent that I have been told about BA makes me skeptical. Hopefully any luck tonight was created by the Patriots. Time to stop waiting for the dice to favor us and make the bounce go our way. I would like to hear how my boy Barrett played? Supposedly there were several possible D1 athletes on the offensive line for BA. Looking at the score it looks like he played well, but I would like to hear some eye witness testimony. All I have is hearsay and limited details.