Cumberland County Football Cancelled

badblood

I saw this coming years ago. I was against building the 2nd high school mainly for the reason that when there was 1 high school it was poorly funded. The booster clubs paid for a large part of what the individual sports needed. With two schools and the county refusing to pass a tax on anything, the money simply is not there. Brumfield, you would know you live here, you saw what happened when the wheel tax of $25 was proposed to fund schools, it was voted down 2-1. Cumberland county commisionser are a greedy bunch of politicians that do not care about what is best for the kids or the future they care about what will get them elected and keep our taxpayer dollars paying their salaries. This is terrible that this has finally happened, but the writing has been on the wall, the only question was when it would happen. I guess we found out. BTW, did anyone see that commissioner on the news last night? Wow, he was pretty dead set on not raising funds but cutting programs...

I really do not see how you can say the County Commissioners are a greedy bunch of politions and that our tax dollars are paying for. When County Commissioners get payed very little by the county. But the person who directs our great school system makes alot more than the majority of the County Commissioners and her job is definitly funded by the county.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the county is going to pay for the lawsuit that WILL be filed by the parents of the first kid that is hurt playing sports due to improper conditioning due to their 'playing' with the budget?

I know there are some lawyers lining up for that kind of action as they always do. Sharks love blood in the water. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I still think adding a $1 to the greens fees of EVERY golf course there would help and be legal! I have a cousin up there that is retired and talked to him about it. The $1 green fees is his suggestion as the City he managed in Fla had it and it provided LOTS of $$$$$ for the schools!

As to voting the commissioners/school board out I suggest they ALL go as they evidently do NOT know what they are doing!

Good Luck CC!

Someone asked about athletes transferring. I believe they can if the parents actually move. I'm sure several schools up and down the Sequatchie Valley would love to have some more quality athletes. If the officials in Cumberland County aren't smart enough to take care of the kids come on down to some communities who will be glad to have you.

We can always use some more talent in Grundy Co. I'd bet Bledsoe, Sequatchie and the schools in Marion could too. Well maybe not South Pittsburg. Vic's supposed to be loaded again this year.

DL.

I do not think that the County Commissioners are the only people blame. Who made the decision to close schools at the last minute? If there is no money to give, there is no money to give! If they find a tree to pull it from please let me know where it is. This whole situation royally ticks me off. The students of Cumberland County deserve better!

The county commissioners (most) are the problem! They will not raise taxes enough to cover education. Our property tax is a joke. I remember a few years ago there was talk of rasing taxes for education and the people from the Glade started sending money to the commissioners. Last year the BOE got $0.41/ child, this year they want to give $0.38. I say give more money to education! In the last year or two CC built a new jail for the criminals! I say give them a tent city, just like our Marines in Iraq. This County commission has ALL of their priority's wrong. The FAT in CC is not in the school system! Last year the PSO had to raise money to fund the SMHS Library. They had to few books to be accredited, I know we worked on the project and donated our own books for the cause.

I think the retiree's in the Glade would not have a bit of a problem raising taxes for education, but the land barons who control several commissioners will!

I agree with you somewhat JF21 the comissionsers do not get paid much, but they still do get paid. Here's a question: what happened to letting the voters choose the superintendant of schools? We used to be able to but now they are appointed by the board. And yes I am fully aware of how much money she makes. Does anyone know how the meeting went tonight at the courthouse?

From what I heard on the radio there was no resolve, but a huge turnout. Monterey needs some big fast linemen next year. Monterey would be a short drive. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> Transfer is easy. Just move.