CCHS JETS/SMHS PANTHERS

brumfield

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our season may be cancelled or we may miss several games because our county commissioners will not approve the BOE budget. School was to start today, but is has been postponed until Sept. or Oct.

Good luck probally will not work, our stupid county commissioners are to busy trying to make all the stupid yankees who moved here happy by not raising taxes to keep get re-elected

As a coach, father, and public school teacher I am sick and tired of seeing children used as pawns in political and economic battles between school boards, directors, and county commissions across this state! It happened a few years back when I was in Hamilton County and it has been done in countless school systems across the state! I don't know who is to blame in Cumberland County but I can tell you who are not to blame... the kids who play sports and attend school. THEY HAVE WORKED ALL SUMMER LONG to prepare for the football season (not to forget the girls and boys who play in the band, volleyball, soccer, cross-country, etc.) and now at the very time when they need practice the most, the rug has been pulled out from under them because the COMMISSION AND SB could not agree on a budget process they have been working on all summer. Some of these fine young men and women are entering their senior year and this WILL impact them for the rest of their lives! GOVERNMENT fails us when the kids are locked out of school because of a broken process! Stop trying to pinch pennies and let's get the kids back in school and on the practice field! Get the darn bean counters out of the way and make room for the teachers, coaches, and school employees who just want to go to work and educate our youth. Please put your party bickering behind you and PLAY BALL!

(re-post from 1-2-3A Football thread)

This reminds me of 1981 in Blount County. WB and Heritage both had practice on the Blount County Courthouse lawn. Heritage stole some of our (WB's) thunder by beating us to the punch. I, being the agitator that I am, told a good friend who played for Heritage that we (WB) and Heritage (his school) should practice on the courthouse lawn in protest of being "locked out" of our facilities. Heritage got there the next day. My team was a little slower to accept the idea until they saw the press HHS got from it. We had both already been to camp and WB was expected to have it's first winning season. The lockout was due to a teachers strike. Our coaches couldn't even be at practice we had some fathers running practice. We were talking about transferring to Greenback, but then we were told we wouldn't be eligible.

The lockout really hurt our season, we finished 3-7 (we did beat Heritage though and officially finished 3rd in our district but that is another story). The next year w/ out a strike HHS went 10-0 and beat Maryville for the first time.

This is one reason my screenname is RED REBELS. I never root against WB, but my kids are in Maryville schools.

The bad thing about your situation is you don't really have any other options.

Good luck probally will not work, our stupid county commissioners are to busy trying to make all the stupid yankees who moved here happy by not raising taxes to keep get re-elected

To be honest, I do not think that is the REAL problem. Remember last year when this same thing happend? it was a lot of folks for Fairfield that started writing the paper and sending in money for extra taxes that would be due.. Taxes where most of these people from are insane compared to any where in the south. I think that the commissoners tell the locals that so they will be mad at the people in Fairfield and not the commissioner. I know a lot of people from other places and we all joke about the low tax base, so a little tax increase is not going to make any transplant mad. Now the local land barons, that is another issue. I think they are the ones who have most of the commissioners on a string and alot of them are against 2 high schools, so this is their way to punish the county.