Press from around the state

chasanooga

"(Notre Dame) is very good," said Sneller. "This is a pathetic field for them to be playing on.

It's certainly nothing to write home about. I would have thought though that the narrow field would have played well with their (CCS's) bunker-defense style of play. I hope he wasn't blaming the loss on the field. If I'm not mistaken, it was the same final score as the game 2 weeks earlier on their nice wide, long field.

I thought you might have been referring to the "dangerous" comment

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga area teams:

Notre Dame 2 - Chattanooga Christian 0

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oc...irish-another-/

Chattanoga School for the Arts and Sciences (CSAS) 3 - Boyd Buchanan 0

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oc...over-lady-bucs/

Soddy Daisy 2 - Ooltewah 0

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oc...s-top-ooltewah/

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_137662.asp

Cleveland 4 - McMinn 0

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oc...te-frustration/

Wow...very interesting comment coming from a rival coach. The statement is true about the field....but unusual for a coach to publicly comment on.

I think that the CCS coach was actually trying to do the ND coach a favor. I'm sure that the ND coach would like a real field too. Maybe this will help get one somehow. It's not just the field size .... it really falls off the last 3-4 yards on the sides as it was designed to drain for a football field. And everyone has heard about the problem with lines. In the end, it's ND's home field and that's ok for them, but it should never be used for a district championship.

I think that the CCS coach was actually trying to do the ND coach a favor. I'm sure that the ND coach would like a real field too. Maybe this will help get one somehow. It's not just the field size .... it really falls off the last 3-4 yards on the sides as it was designed to drain for a football field. And everyone has heard about the problem with lines. In the end, it's ND's home field and that's ok for them, but it should never be used for a district championship.

I'm sure Notre Dame will be glad to accept any money that somebody wants to send in to help make it happen. Send the money to:

Soccer Field Building Fund

c/o Notre Dame High School

2701 Vermont Avenue

Chattanooga, TN 37404

Seriously, though, I find the comments ironic. Like Coniglio stated, CCS didn't try very much offense. The limitations of the ND field probably helped CCS more than it hurt.

In case people don't know, ND is surrounded on several side by (1) the side of Missionary Ridge, (2), a nursing home, (2) a church (not affiliated with ND), (3) a community center, and (4) a neighborhood. I'm sure given an unlimited budget, ND could convince one of these to relocate, but until that happens, we'll just have to settle with people (including ND fan's) b#*ching and moaning once or twice a season about the failings of the field.

I want brag on ND's announcer. He does a great job in calling off all the players who come in and out for both teams, and also announces who is taking a throw in, corner kick, makes a good shot/attempt, or makes a good save -- for both teams. I wish all schools had this.

I'm sure Notre Dame will be glad to accept any money that somebody wants to send in to help make it happen. Send the money to:

2701 Vermont Avenue

Chattanooga, TN 37404

Seriously, though, I find the comments ironic. Like Coniglio stated, CCS didn't try very much offense. The limitations of the ND field probably helped CCS more than it hurt.

In case people don't know, ND is surrounded on several side by (1) the side of Missionary Ridge, (2), a nursing home, (2) a church (not affiliated with ND), (3) a community center, and (4) a neighborhood. I'm sure given an unlimited budget, ND could convince one of these to relocate, but until that happens, we'll just have to settle with people (including ND fan's) b#*ching and moaning once or twice a season about the failings of the field.

I want brag on ND's announcer. He does a great job in calling off all the players who come in and out for both teams, and also announces who is taking a throw in, corner kick, makes a good shot/attempt, or makes a good save -- for both teams. I wish all schools had this.

Don, I did not mean to say that CCS lost because of the field. You would know better than I. I will summarize a different way.

ND has a unique field, and I think District Championships should not be played on unique fields if all teams come to play at a common site, ND's or otherwise. I'm sure there are other schools in the State that have similar challenges. As long as these fields meet the required standards, then they should be used for home games and there is absolutely no reason why not. Homefield advantage and/or familiarity takes many forms from small fields to hard fields to big fields. I just think there should be a higher standard for tournament playoff sites such that uniqueness is less a potentail factor.

ND has a great program, but a challenging field issue that can't be solved without buying land off-site and that's really not a great use of school funds. Good luck going forward. Also, Cambron seems to be a spectacular player. Does see have a college choice yet?

2701 Vermont Avenue

Chattanooga, TN 37404

Agreed on the announcer. All teams should have one as it greatly adds to the environment. Now, the pregame music...yeesh. It is better than GPS's but I digress.

ON CCS's large field or ND's field it seems the results were the same....it sounded like frustration on the part of the CCS coach and I wonder if he wishes he had not said it to the press. Obviously the ND field has been a topic for years and I am sure that they would like a different situation.

DonCChatt I have been a quite a few games at ND over the years and have always enjoyed the announcer. I believe he is a grandfather of a former player? I believe this is the only place I have ever heard an official announcer of plays, players, etc. Does a great job.

Unless one of the businesses, churches sell to ND....much like the businesses the McCallie has bought up to expand...there is not alot that can be done.

Again, I suspect alot of frustration on the CCS's coaches part.

2701 Vermont Avenue

Chattanooga, TN 37404

just read the story on McMinn v Cleveland. 38 shots on goal? Either that is a total shot count, not shots-on-goal, or the keeper had an outstanding 34 saves and/or Cleveland was deplorable on their finishes. In the article there were 5 cross-bar hits; that is NOT a shot on goal.

I saw that too. You never know if it true shots on goal, or kicks in the general direction of the goal. It often times depends on who is recording the stats.

Now, the pregame music...yeesh. It is better than GPS's but I digress.

I'm with you on that one. It's certainly a generational thing there....