Press from around the state

chasanooga

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, I did not mean to say that CCS lost because of the field. You would know better than I. I will summarize a different way.

ND has a unique field, and I think District Championships should not be played on unique fields if all teams come to play at a common site, ND's or otherwise. I'm sure there are other schools in the State that have similar challenges. As long as these fields meet the required standards, then they should be used for home games and there is absolutely no reason why not. Homefield advantage and/or familiarity takes many forms from small fields to hard fields to big fields. I just think there should be a higher standard for tournament playoff sites such that uniqueness is less a potentail factor.

ND has a great program, but a challenging field issue that can't be solved without buying land off-site and that's really not a great use of school funds. Good luck going forward. Also, Cambron seems to be a spectacular player. Does see have a college choice yet?

I believe that ND's fields meet the minimum current standards. I know that earlier this year there was a proposal before TSSAA by the Soccer Coaches Association (or some similar name) to upgrade the minimimal standards for all teams (by like 2011 or something), or not allow teams whose fields don't meet some standards from host post season matches. I could support this proposal, but it was defeated.

As as far as Cambron's college plans -- she will be playing in college, but won't spill the beans on who or where.

ON CCS's large field or ND's field it seems the results were the same....it sounded like frustration on the part of the CCS coach and I wonder if he wishes he had not said it to the press. Obviously the ND field has been a topic for years and I am sure that they would like a different situation.

Read the first line of the article.

It changed the next time around. Unfortunately its a little different situation with a soccer field. But losing isn't what sparks frustrations about a battleground.

?? I read what your link said about an awful cross country course. But could you explain alittle more....are you saying that losing did not spark the coaches frustration but the battleground...and in this case the ND field did?

Read the first line of the article.

It changed the next time around. Unfortunately its a little different situation with a soccer field. But losing isn't what sparks frustrations about a battleground.

From a coaches standpoint, when I read an article in the newspaper, I take it with a rather large grain of salt... I try to be extremely careful when I am talking to reporters about what I say, even in the small talk. I actually have used the phrase "off the record" and then said some things like field conditions or other issues that were legitimate, but if read in the paper, could come across as an "excuse" for a loss or tie or whatever.

I have also been misquoted occasionally, (Akula can remember that one! Luckily I called him to make sure he knew what I really said, though he figured it was wrong!).

Again, as far as fields, I don't know one program that WOULDN'T want their own Olympic size 120 X 80 bermuda grass field with box goals, concessions, real bathrooms, etc. But real estate, the money for that real estate, and then all the extras cost a LOT of money. If it were just down to wishing or wanting, I would imagine Notre Dame would have all of the above. But there is more to it than that.

DonC, will you take a check? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DonC, will you take a check? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes. Make it out to "CASH" and put it a small unmarked envelope and place it next to the ticket booth at the football field. I'll make sure it gets into the correct "hands"

just read the story on McMinn v Cleveland. 38 shots on goal? Either that is a total shot count, not shots-on-goal, or the keeper had an outstanding 34 saves and/or Cleveland was deplorable on their finishes. In the article there were 5 cross-bar hits; that is NOT a shot on goal.

The 38 was probably the shot count. McMinn kept everyone back except 1-2 forwards for the entire game, except for a few occassions when the ball passed midfield. Cleveland was shooting a lot from 25 yards out trying to get through the bunker defense. The McMinn goalie did have several saves in the game.