week 0 BA vs. Indy any ideas......

overseascoach

Agreed, I don't mean to be critical of the Independence fan base, but the talk on this thread sounds like Vanderbilt fans with the moral victory they achieved by playing a good game and not getting blown out! BA owned the line of scrimmage, but you would have thought BA pulled an upset with the way the fans have described this game. BA ran it down Indy's throat for over 300 yards! They scored 34 points! Indy's points came on long pass plays without any sustained drives.

Independence is very good, and played a great game. But it just sounds like BA is getting no credit for an otherwise very solid start over a quality opponent.

BA did own the line of scrimmage with their offensive line. BA's D-line was not effective rushing the passer, and let's face it, if you were there it was obvious that was the IHS game plan, put it in the air.

BA's D-line should be given credit for the taking the run game away from IHS. BA's kicking game was the big difference in the game. The outstanding player for BA on Friday night was their punter. He is truly a weapon.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA did own the line of scrimmage with their offensive line. BA's D-line was not effective rushing the passer, and let's face it, if you were there it was obvious that was the IHS game plan, put it in the air.

BA's D-line should be given credit for the taking the run game away from IHS. BA's kicking game was the big difference in the game. The outstanding player for BA on Friday night was their punter. He is truly a weapon.

the difference in the game was 300 yds + rushing and putting up 34 points. The punter was good, but only part of the victory. Football is won in the trenches, and it was a team victory with the O line opening holes and controlling the line of scrimmage.

The reason for BA not getting to the passer was the 7-8 yard set up in the shot gun and the ability of Heckman to get rid of the ball quickly, and only rushing 4 most of the time. BA was just more powerful and the better team.

the difference in the game was 300 yds + rushing and putting up 34 points. The punter was good, but only part of the victory. Football is won in the trenches, and it was a team victory with the O line opening holes and controlling the line of scrimmage.

The reason for BA not getting to the passer was the 7-8 yard set up in the shot gun and the ability of Heckman to get rid of the ball quickly, and only rushing 4 most of the time. BA was just more powerful and the better team.

I'm not trying to be critical -- I'm a BA guy, but 60 + of the 300 came on a reverse and BA really didn't control the O line and run it the way I thought they would until the last drive. 7 of the 34 came with a minute on the clock and Indy was within 6 points at the time. The last drive was what I expected to see more of all game. Everyone in the stadium knew BA was going to run and they just lined up and controlled the ball and scored. Indy is a good team, but I suspect BA will face better (I know they will face more experienced teams). I think the O line is going to have to play with the fire they showed on that last drive more consistently. I'm sure they will.

From what I observed from one game...

- the o-line and receivers are better this year than last years

- the QB is the same

- the secondary on defense is better this year than last years

- the front 8 needs some work on tackling

- the run game needs to be used and I think will be- this was just the game plan (5 wide) for this particular game

- it should be a solid year for Indy

Are you serious? I had a dog in the hunt on last years team, but I don't know how you can say the receivers and oline are better after this one game. I think Coach Eubanks' scheme for this game put them in a position to be successful. I want this team to be successful, but after one game there is no way you can really mean what you said. Indy has some very good players, but they lack game experience. They will improve and I thought they did an excellent job last night. Let them mature before you make those claims.

it's tough being BA...

they start a QB who was 3rd string until a week ago, who has never taken a snap in a game, and makes the O one dimensional with only 30 yards of passing. They rush for over 300 yards, put up 34 points, don't turn the ball over, and the general consensus is this is a moral victory for Indy. Independence throws it over 40 times, and when you do that you are going to complete some passes. The spread took BA's front 7 out of the pass rush, but they shut the run down. BA is going to be just fine...they are a predominantly a Soph/Jr dominated team, especially in the skill positions, and with experience they have only upside, and they are very good to start with.

Independence is a very good team...their QB is excellent, and they are obviously very well coached. They have tremendous school spirit and support. They will do very well this year. They ran off 10 straight victories last year after a slow start and losing their returning starter at QB, and finished #2 in 5A, playing for the state championship. This game ended just like I thought it would, a very hard fought Quality victory for a BA team that must deal with very high expectations and a bulls eye on their back. I think Independence is that good and BA just happens to be better, not mediocre.

Stop whining about it being tough being BA....PLEASE. USA Today had BA at #12 in the country. I bet if you ask the IHS coaching staff it wasn't a moral victory. They're upset they lost. The only reason they "shut the run down" as you say is that Indy ean it what 6-7 times. I bet the teams BA plays will be beating down Coach Eubanks door to get a copy of the game to prepare for BA. Moral victories are losses. Please stop with the poor, poor BA crap. Your team and coaching staff are classier than that.

Stop whining about it being tough being BA....PLEASE. USA Today had BA at #12 in the country. I bet if you ask the IHS coaching staff it wasn't a moral victory. They're upset they lost. The only reason they "shut the run down" as you say is that Indy ean it what 6-7 times. I bet the teams BA plays will be beating down Coach Eubanks door to get a copy of the game to prepare for BA. Moral victories are losses. Please stop with the poor, poor BA crap. Your team and coaching staff are classier than that.

You are right about Coach Eubanks. He did everything right. He even surprised BA with a defense that they were totally unprepared for and it caused major problems. I don't think you will get much argument from anyone about that point. However, you did not read the prior post. The whining started with the "everyone wearing red knows the best team didn't win...". That's one of those things that I don't say or post, even if I think it.

Are you serious? I had a dog in the hunt on last years team, but I don't know how you can say the receivers and oline are better after this one game. I think Coach Eubanks' scheme for this game put them in a position to be successful. I want this team to be successful, but after one game there is no way you can really mean what you said. Indy has some very good players, but they lack game experience. They will improve and I thought they did an excellent job last night. Let them mature before you make those claims.

I probably wouldn't post it unless I was serious. The o-line from last year was just as inexperienced as this year's squad. However given the fact that they gave the QB time to throw some 44 times, I most certainly like this years better. And not to mention they are bigger on the average too. The receivers are much faster too this year. While there were some dropped balls, the fact that they had the speed to get open and run after the catch says a lot about them. I will say this, Baugh from last year and Darnell from the year before are the two best receivers to come through Independence; however as a whole this years unit looks the best.

not whining...just stating the obvious, that the post I was responding to said that the best team did not win, blah, blah, blah...never said the IHS coaching staff thought it was a moral victory. They have a great team. You're right, moral victories are losses, and to the poster I responded to, that was my point. The "it is tough" comment was said sarcastically btw. I just want to point out that IHS is a very good team that is going to win a bunch of games this year, and due to that this was a quality win by BA. Two very good teams played, and the best one won. Who's whining? Not this BA fan, happy for the good win. The general theme of this thread is that BA underachieved, etc., and in my book that is an inaccurate statement for both teams. It implies that BA is not as good as advertised and IHS is not as good as they played.

I'm not trying to be critical -- I'm a BA guy, but 60 + of the 300 came on a reverse and BA really didn't control the O line and run it the way I thought they would until the last drive. 7 of the 34 came with a minute on the clock and Indy was within 6 points at the time. The last drive was what I expected to see more of all game. Everyone in the stadium knew BA was going to run and they just lined up and controlled the ball and scored. Indy is a good team, but I suspect BA will face better (I know they will face more experienced teams). I think the O line is going to have to play with the fire they showed on that last drive more consistently. I'm sure they will.

the fact that 60 yards came on one play doesn't make a difference. Does that mean that IHS's 3 TD's are diminished because they came on long pass plays and not sustained drives? Maybe they were lucky and one of BA's corners tripped or fell down!

Take away that one play, and they rushed for 240+ yards...does that qualify as "controlling the line of scrimmage"? Don't have the stats, but if they rushed it for 40 plays that is 6 yards per rushing attempt.

All the different scenarios of when they scored, etc. is irrelevant. If IHS had not completed the long pass for the 3rd TD then BA would have been 14 ahead with a minute to go before the last TD...it is a game comprised of 4 12 minute quarters. I certainly get your point! I am responding in the spirit of just healthy debate and not with animosity...

I'm just disappointed that BA's win is considered not convincing enough, that they underperformed, etc. Give BA and IHS some credit for both having good teams.

Agreed, I don't mean to be critical of the Independence fan base, but the talk on this thread sounds like Vanderbilt fans with the moral victory they achieved by playing a good game and not getting blown out! BA owned the line of scrimmage, but you would have thought BA pulled an upset with the way the fans have described this game. BA ran it down Indy's throat for over 300 yards! They scored 34 points! Indy's points came on long pass plays without any sustained drives.

Independence is very good, and played a great game. But it just sounds like BA is getting no credit for an otherwise very solid start over a quality opponent.

disagee INDY has one the most loyal fan bases around,and although Coach Eubanks would have taken the win over the moral victory I am almost certain he is happy with the very young team he has on the field ( lost 16 starters last year) this game will help his team come division play...I would hope BA owned the line as i am sure they will vs any opponet they face this year with the studs they have- whom cares how the points are scored they all count dont they>I would call it great coaching as INDY knew they couldnt run the ball and we all know they have one of the best QB's in the state and some great recievers so why not use thier strength>

TO SUM IT UP me personally for the I would have expected the # 10 team in the nation to do better

Here is the moral of the story from the Bulldog......

Congrats to Indy on a strong effort and I think in the second half of the season....this is not a team anyone will want to play.

As far as BA....one of the best teams money can buy ....they will go far and should unless they choke up on all the expectations from all those college prospects. They earned this victory but should have won