John Overton@Smyrna

Bulldog86

Well I had to leave this one early but I did see the 1s and a few plays of the 2s. The score was 14-0 Smyrna. The 1s play 3 series each. Smyrna Defence did not allow a 1st down in any of Overton's offence's sets. Smyrna had a 70 yard drive for a TD on the first series. A 55 yard drive stopped with a fumble on the 5 yard line with the 2nd series. Then had about a 45 yard drive for a TD on the 3rd series. I'm not sure if Overton has much this year but Smyrna look to have complete control in this one. Overton did have some nice looking players but they were shut down in the early going of this one.

I did like a few things I saw this week. Smyrna play with a tremendous amount of energy. I also like the fact that they mixed it up pretty well with the pass and run. Smyrna QB look much better today. Nothing down the field but nice hitch, hook and slat routes. That was very good to see.

The only negitive thing I saw today was the fumble on the 2nd series. They were going in for a TD, moving the ball right down the field then fumble on the 5 yard line and Overton recoved. The "D" steped up with another 3 and out to set up Smyrna with nice field positon for the 2nd TD drive of about 45 yards.

Look to be ready for the opener Friday Night!!!! I know I'm ready. GO BULLDOGS!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does overton have the same 2 RB's as last year, if so than there in luck cause those two kids could play some football

I do not know the name of the youngman but Overton's #8 is a beast. He played RB and LB and he just had the look of a talented player. You know that eye test people talk about? He aced it!!!

Keep us posted! Sounds like the D is going to be STOUT!

I will do that. The "D" is FAST and PHISICAL! Looking forward to see what they do in game situations.

As for the "O", I think someone (fredjones) in the last thread asked me what Smyrna would do when teams play a 10 man front. I hope that happens. As he is not the greatest thrower in Smyrna's history, he looked to be good enough to keep teams honest. With thier running game and "D", thats all they need. You would have never known that from the first 3 scrimmages, because they threw it very little and when they did, he look shaky at best.

Should be another fun year in Bulldog country.

does overton have the same 2 RB's as last year, if so than there in luck cause those two kids could play some football

No, Overton doesn't have the same 2 RB's from last year. CJ and Daniel White both graduated last year. So we should see how good they are on saturday at Hillwood when they face Stratford in Metro Jamboree.

And I heard Smyrna kick a** today I heard it from my girlfriend. But somebody tell me about the big hit at the scrimmage.

Guest workinprogress

Sounds like Smyrna FINALLY found the end zone though! That to me is the BIGGEST improvement. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

All of the previous perspectives were from Smyrna fans. I talked to several Overton fans and from what they were saying it was a very even match up. The varsity teams were tied and Overton's JV beat Smyrna's. So Smyrna is saying they basically dominated but did they really? I dont know because I wasnt there until the last ten minutes. Is there anyone that saw what went on this is unbiased????

All of the previous perspectives were from Smyrna fans. I talked to several Overton fans and from what they were saying it was a very even match up. The varsity teams were tied and Overton's JV beat Smyrna's. So Smyrna is saying they basically dominated but did they really? I dont know because I wasnt there until the last ten minutes. Is there anyone that saw what went on this is unbiased????

If you go by the first 3 possessions of each team I would say Smyrna had their way. After that it is hard to say because I did not know who was playing then, 1's 2's etc. If you keep score from beginning to end when they were playing on the whole field I think the final score was 14-10 Smyrna. Best receiver I saw was the kid from Overton who had a big cast on his hand, still can't figure out how he caught the ball with that club on his hand, ran well after the catch too. After 4 scrimmages I come away with the concern of Smyrna running into a passing offense. This scrimmage looked like the first three possessions of the MBA scrimmage with the roles reversed. MBA missed fg, td, missed fg. smyrna 4 and out, 2 first downs, 4 and out. Against Overton smyrna td, fumble on the the 6, td. Overton punt, turnover, punt. So anyone who watched the first three series of either one of these scrimmages and thought they were even were definitely watching it through "homer" colored glasses. But we also do not know what the coaches objectives were going into these scrimmages either. Best of luck to all since the scores count next week (for some).