MBA vs. Antioch? Who wins this rematch?

DeepSouth44

Guest workinprogress

I recognized it was a jab, a pointless one at that. I would be willing to bet that no one was knocking down any doors to play the big bad red machine. Teams would just assume to play Smyrna, Riverdale, Hillsboro, and Maryville than MBA. Competititon is competititon.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't expect what I saw last night. 45-19 and it wasn't that close. 35-6 at halftime, and MBA didn't play starters in the 2nd half much. Wise didn't play at all in the 2nd half. After watching a couple of scrimmages and hearing about what they did in the 7 on 7's during the summer, I expected MBA to throw more and run less, but they really didn't have to. When they did throw the QB's looked good. Wise threw the ball really well except a couple of throws when he missed wide open recievers in the end zone (one was caught by a receiver behind the intended receiver).

All in all last night was a great way to open the season, and follow up on last year. Hopefully there were no major injuries and this team is ready to defend the State Championship. It will be a tough road but it looks like this team has the tools and toughness for the fight.

I really didn't expect what I saw last night. 45-19 and it wasn't that close. 35-6 at halftime, and MBA didn't play starters in the 2nd half much. Wise didn't play at all in the 2nd half. After watching a couple of scrimmages and hearing about what they did in the 7 on 7's during the summer, I expected MBA to throw more and run less, but they really didn't have to. When they did throw the QB's looked good. Wise threw the ball really well except a couple of throws when he missed wide open recievers in the end zone (one was caught by a receiver behind the intended receiver).

All in all last night was a great way to open the season, and follow up on last year. Hopefully there were no major injuries and this team is ready to defend the State Championship. It will be a tough road but it looks like this team has the tools and toughness for the fight.

I wasn't real thrilled with their giving up big plays. Granted, a lot of that was by second team players. I'm also not sure how much of a test Antioch was: their quarterback was a very talented athlete, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of support. They may be slow starters, and a lot of the difficulty they had last night may have been caused by MBA. I would have preferred a tougher game prior to the Moeller game, one where they had to play 48 minutes.

Moeller plays Princeton today. Here is a link to the webcast:

http://moeller.sidwebcast.com/fb20080823/xlive.htm

I was surprised MBA played their starters as long as they did last night. Every time they started to put the game completely out of reach, Antioch made a big play and narrowed the lead. My guess is that the coaching staff had some particular things that they wanted to see in terms of personnel and situations prior to Moeller.

By the way, MBA never punted against Antioch. The long snapper and punter will take their first game rep in a 60000+ stadium against a legendary team. That could be an issue.

Moeller plays Princeton today. Here is a link to the webcast:

http://moeller.sidwebcast.com/fb20080823/xlive.htm

I was surprised MBA played their starters as long as they did last night. Every time they started to put the game completely out of reach, Antioch made a big play and narrowed the lead. My guess is that the coaching staff had some particular things that they wanted to see in terms of personnel and situations prior to Moeller.

By the way, MBA never punted against Antioch. The long snapper and punter will take their first game rep in a 60000+ stadium against a legendary team. That could be an issue.

Your last point is excellent, and when MBA went for it on 4th near midfield late in the game, it worried me more than a little. In spots, it looked like MBA was treating it as a scrimmage. That failure to put a team away may be a problem, although i also got the idea they were trying to avoid the mercy rule.

Guest workinprogress

It was definately a good game for MBA. I know they lost a lot on paper but its seems as if they have reloaded well. I actually think the fullback is better than Bar... last year. The quarterback for MBA looked really sharp and the offensive and defensive lines looked very impressive. Congratulations to MBA and good luck in Ohio.

Now for those of you who have said that MBA pulled starters. Sure they pulled some but the major players played the entire game. MBA was probably getting these kids ready for playing all of next week so it makes sense. Also, the score was lop sided due to special teams. Giving MBA a short field didnt help at all. I was impressed with Antiochs effort the entire game, even when down early they kept playing hard. I know some big red fans wanted to see a better game but to me, even though my team lost, it was a good game for both teams. MBA saw some things that need adjusting and so did AHS. It was a good game for both to start with. For MBA keep it close next week and you all will have a good chance because your kicker is very good. He hit what had to be somewhere around a 47 yard field goal and was kicking off inside the five or better every time. For AHS they should be more prepared for Riverdale after facing MBA.

It was definately a good game for MBA. I know they lost a lot on paper but its seems as if they have reloaded well. I actually think the fullback is better than Bar... last year. The quarterback for MBA looked really sharp and the offensive and defensive lines looked very impressive. Congratulations to MBA and good luck in Ohio.

Now for those of you who have said that MBA pulled starters. Sure they pulled some but the major players played the entire game. MBA was probably getting these kids ready for playing all of next week so it makes sense. Also, the score was lop sided due to special teams. Giving MBA a short field didnt help at all. I was impressed with Antiochs effort the entire game, even when down early they kept playing hard. I know some big red fans wanted to see a better game but to me, even though my team lost, it was a good game for both teams. MBA saw some things that need adjusting and so did AHS. It was a good game for both to start with. For MBA keep it close next week and you all will have a good chance because your kicker is very good. He hit what had to be somewhere around a 47 yard field goal and was kicking off inside the five or better every time. For AHS they should be more prepared for Riverdale after facing MBA.

Losing never helps a team. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Guest workinprogress

Losing never helps a team. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I disagree. Look at Riverdale. They havent lost a region game in how many years??? Now that pressure is off their backs and they can move on. Maryville hasnt lost a game in how many years??? I guarantee you after that first loss they will come back and be more motivated than ever before. I think that after Hillsboro got beat by Maplewood last year it probably left a pretty sour taste in their mouths and now they want revenge and will play a little bit harder because of it. No one likes to lose, but you can tell a lot about a team in how they respond to adversity after a loss. Some will fold and some will be much better for losing.

I disagree. Look at Riverdale. They havent lost a region game in how many years??? Now that pressure is off their backs and they can move on. Maryville hasnt lost a game in how many years??? I guarantee you after that first loss they will come back and be more motivated than ever before. I think that after Hillsboro got beat by Maplewood last year it probably left a pretty sour taste in their mouths and now they want revenge and will play a little bit harder because of it. No one likes to lose, but you can tell a lot about a team in how they respond to adversity after a loss. Some will fold and some will be much better for losing.

Riverdale lost their last game in 2007 to a region foe. Did not help last night. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This game cost Antioch nothing. It has no effect on whether or not they qualify from their region. They know that there are some places where they match up fairly well against what seems to be a very good team, and what is most definitely a historically great program. They've learned a lot that should make them better down the line.

And beyond winning and losing, high school sports is supposed to have some educational benefit. They've learned the cost of inattentiveness to detail. If they turn around and have a good season (as they did last year), they learn the value of persevering after a disappointment. And I maintain that there is value and honor in competing against the very best, even if you don't win.