Jackson County vs. Pickett County

jacksoncounty

GAINESBORO- Jackson County gets a win over the upstart Pickett County Bobcats 33-26 in a wild game in Gainsboro in Week Zero. Pickett County scored first and stayed in the contest throughout the first half behind the play of QB Cross. Pickett County took a first quarter lead only to see Jackson County come back just before halftime to score on a one yard run by Patrick Davis following Jeret Goad's 40 yard pass to Chris Stafford. Justin Stewart's kick made it 7-6 Blue Devils at the half.

In the second half the Blue Devils went wild scoring on four consecutive drives, the first on a Cody Mayberry 3 yard run that was followed by a missed PAT made it 13-6. The Blue Devils scored again with four minutes remaining in the third quarter on an 8-yard run by Mayberry and after Stewart's kick it was 20-6. Pickett County 's Matt Benner then rambled 13 yards to cut the lead to 20-12 as the third quarter ended.

In the final quarter Davis scored again, this time from 4-yards out to make it 26-12. Jackson County added another score with just over 3 minutes left as Mayberry scored his third of the night ,this time from 10-yards out. Eric Quick added the conversion kick to make it 33-12 Blue Devils.

At this point it got interesting as Pickett County was able to score on a 40-yard pass from Cross to Cummings to make it 33-18. The Bobcats then kicked an on-sides kick and recovered it and scored on a pass from Cross to Penticuff for 41-yards and a two point conversion to cut the lead to 33-26. The ensuing on-sides kick was recovered by Jackson County and the Blue Devils ran out the clock.

Freshman quarterback Jeret Goad played well in his high school debut completing 6 of 11 for 128 yards and 0 interceptions. The Blue Devils ran for 220 yards with Cody Mayberry gaining 75 on 17 carries while Patrick Davis had 78 yards on 14 carries to lead the way. Chris Stafford had 3 catches for 84 yards to lead the receiving corps.

The Blue Devils travel to Celina next week for a game with Clay County who won its opener 30-0 over Taft Youth Center while Pickett County hosts Red Boiling Springs.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celina had a good showing against an athletic group in Taft. I'm still not sure were they will finish in the region standings but you boys played well last night.

There is no doubt Jackson County will have to play much better this week just to stay in the game with Clay County. Clay County looked impressive in the Jamboree and then by beating Taft 30-0 they certainly opened the eyes of many. The Blue Devils are very young and need improvement in lots of areas but learning while getting an opening game victory is better than learning while losing no matter how ugly the 33-26 win over Pickett County was.

Friday night will see the Bulldogs of Clay County as a heavy favorite in Celina as the two unbeaten teams meet in a rivalry game. As always it should be a great atmosphere for high school football.

Is this the return of famed sportswriter Howard Chandler? Good to see if it is.

Howard is residing in an assisted living home in a secret location. He says his wife is providing adequate assistance at this time. He also ask me to inform you that he wants no fan mail but will accept cash or money orders. He decided to allow his friend Sybil to transcribe his rantings and then to allow me to post them with no violation of copyright infringement. He says he enjoys the change of scenery and that the sky is always blue wherever he is as is the color of the football teams? Conspiracy?.... He says he'll check into that one while sipping on a Diet Sunkist and pondering Presidential politics.

Then just before completing this post he mumbled something about shoring up the secondary of the Blue Devils before next week!!!

I had heard that Howard had to be put in the assisted living home after having to come up with positive phrases to write over the last few football seasons he went through. I also heard a rumor that he might have been attacked by a rabid mule while sitting on his front porch. I am not sure which is true. However, I am glad that he is still going strong and I am certain he will help the blue and white figure out how to sure up the secondary.