Jefferson Co vs Morristown West

JC4life

Grats to West for coming in focused and ready to play.

The 14 thousand or so turnovers (most of which came from a single player, McFall) aside....what's the story on our defense? I know we had a key injury in the middle, but wow! Way too many holes in the defensive front.

The offense looked good last night barring any more QB meltdowns down the road, but the defense looked horrible most of the night. Hope the front can figure out how to close those gaps better in the coming weeks or we're looking at a lot more losses than just West.

McFall, with his height and speed, is a natural option QB, something we only ran once (resulting in a TD) which puzzled me why we didn't use it at least a few more times.

Also, I thought Frank looked good last night, Mason did great on returns but needs to work on his defense. Thought we'd run Brooks more. I hope we don't give up field position all year long on kickoffs again. Lastly, what was Darby thinking on that pass play? He was staring off into who knows where?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was at the game last night and I like most people expected Jeff. Co. to win, but those 7 TURNOVERS were a definite back breaker for us and a plus for Morristown West. I personally do't think that West looked that good. We can't expect our deffense to play as many minutes as they had to play last night and be able to stop anyone. As many games as I have been to in the last 2 years I just dont uderstand why we can't get better play calling? We seem to have a very predictable pattern. I noticed last night when we are in tough yardage situations that we did not utilize Will Brooks like we need to. Another thing is that McFall needs to make alot better decisions at the QB position. It seems like he can't make very good decisions when it comes to giving on the dive or pulling the ball back out and running the option as well as passing the football. At some point we are going to have to pass to open up the offense. We had 2 successful pass plays last night, one we scored on and the other we gained several yards and then we go away from the pass and run the same play or plays over and over and over. As far as the turnovers go, with McFall is going to have to make some better decisions. Why when you are being tackled from behind would try to throw the ball forward when there was not a reciever in the area instead of taking the sack? When we are on the 20 and he is being pressured would he run backwards to scramble instead of trowing the ball away out of bounds instead of losing 7 to 10 yards? That is poor decision making from a senior!! McFall is a good athelete, but I think we loose his ability as a football player by playing him at QB instead of tailback. He is definitely a better at running back than at QB. Defensively, we played terrible our corners got burnt all night long. Ben Moore and Nick Grindstaff either need to step uo and play some football or be replaced. i saw both of these guys stop on plays and that would be unacceptable for me if I was the Defensive Backs coach. Both of those resukted in touchdowns for West. Moore just got flat out beat and Grindstaff was running with the reciever and basically watched him catch the ball for a TD. I would have gotten an interference penalty befor I let him catch the ball for a TD. Atleast make them earn the TD.Also this is the thing, after the game Coach Anderson told the team they needed to practice better. Maybe our coaches need to have a better game plan. I would rate the game like this: Offense> D Deffense> D Special Teams> D Coaches> D. Hopefully we can get our act together before we start playing 5A calibur football teams. Afterall Morristown West is only a 4A team and we couldn't stop them. Good luck next week.

Grats to West for coming in focused and ready to play.

The 14 thousand or so turnovers (most of which came from a single player, McFall) aside....what's the story on our defense? I know we had a key injury in the middle, but wow! Way too many holes in the defensive front.

The offense looked good last night barring any more QB meltdowns down the road, but the defense looked horrible most of the night. Hope the front can figure out how to close those gaps better in the coming weeks or we're looking at a lot more losses than just West.

McFall, with his height and speed, is a natural option QB, something we only ran once (resulting in a TD) which puzzled me why we didn't use it at least a few more times.

Also, I thought Frank looked good last night, Mason did great on returns but needs to work on his defense. Thought we'd run Brooks more. I hope we don't give up field position all year long on kickoffs again. Lastly, what was Darby thinking on that pass play? He was staring off into who knows where?

I agree with all of your comments except for the comment about McFall being a natural option QB with his speed and size. Yes he is very quick, but he need to be moved back to tailback where his speed is utilized, He is not smart enough to play QB. Morristown West didn't beat us last night. McFall and his 14 thousand mistakes and turnovers, offensive play calling, and defensive schemes lost us the ball game.

Explain why you go for it on 4th and 3 in your on territory early in the game when West has yet to score a point all season????and then you go for it the next time you have the ball just inside the midfield stripe on the next series or so????why not play a field position game early????Maybe PUNT? And then against Greeneville, your kicker is nutting the ball toward the goal line on every kick and kick coverage is good - but, for some reason, against West you start pooch kicking the kick-offs the entire game (similar to last season), giving West excellent field position the entire game (with the exception of the one fumbled kick reception)?? Yes, McFall played poorly at times and turned the ball over on several key possessions....But our offense is not built to make a huge comeback when you get way down...Campbell Co. is big and strong...Pats better get ready for a heck of a challenge....

The kicker has a severly bruised foot from practicing so hard. So our kicker was actully our punter last night. Officials called back several big plays, some for TDs, that no one saw the cause for except that one official. They need to let the kids play ball and stop being the center of attention. Brooks was obvisously not up to par last night. Saw him on the sidelines taking breathing treatments, heard he had that crud thats going around. Mcfall, well everyone has bad days and I guess we all got invited to his last night. One word of advise, don't try to be a HERO!!! Its a team effort. Run the play like its called.

Actually this may be a blessing. Next week is what really matters. And if we had beat West I'd hate to think what would happen next week with our team having the big head. Saw several players with tears, probably from the undefeated freshman team from last year. I know it hurts, but its over and we need to move on, get upset, and take it out on Campbell next week.

O line.....You all will either make or break this team. The decision is yours.

D Line... As big as you guys are you should be in the back field every play.

I agree with all of your comments except for the comment about McFall being a natural option QB with his speed and size. Yes he is very quick, but he need to be moved back to tailback where his speed is utilized, He is not smart enough to play QB. Morristown West didn't beat us last night. McFall and his 14 thousand mistakes and turnovers, offensive play calling, and defensive schemes lost us the ball game.

Mcfall doesn't play defense. The West offense gashed your alls D all night long.

Well I was at the game last night and I like most people expected Jeff. Co. to win, but those 7 TURNOVERS were a definite back breaker for us and a plus for Morristown West. I personally do't think that West looked that good. We can't expect our deffense to play as many minutes as they had to play last night and be able to stop anyone. As many games as I have been to in the last 2 years I just dont uderstand why we can't get better play calling? We seem to have a very predictable pattern. I noticed last night when we are in tough yardage situations that we did not utilize Will Brooks like we need to. Another thing is that McFall needs to make alot better decisions at the QB position. It seems like he can't make very good decisions when it comes to giving on the dive or pulling the ball back out and running the option as well as passing the football. At some point we are going to have to pass to open up the offense. We had 2 successful pass plays last night, one we scored on and the other we gained several yards and then we go away from the pass and run the same play or plays over and over and over. As far as the turnovers go, with McFall is going to have to make some better decisions. Why when you are being tackled from behind would try to throw the ball forward when there was not a reciever in the area instead of taking the sack? When we are on the 20 and he is being pressured would he run backwards to scramble instead of trowing the ball away out of bounds instead of losing 7 to 10 yards? That is poor decision making from a senior!! McFall is a good athelete, but I think we loose his ability as a football player by playing him at QB instead of tailback. He is definitely a better at running back than at QB. Defensively, we played terrible our corners got burnt all night long. Ben Moore and Nick Grindstaff either need to step uo and play some football or be replaced. i saw both of these guys stop on plays and that would be unacceptable for me if I was the Defensive Backs coach. Both of those resukted in touchdowns for West. Moore just got flat out beat and Grindstaff was running with the reciever and basically watched him catch the ball for a TD. I would have gotten an interference penalty befor I let him catch the ball for a TD. Atleast make them earn the TD.Also this is the thing, after the game Coach Anderson told the team they needed to practice better. Maybe our coaches need to have a better game plan. I would rate the game like this: Offense> D Deffense> D Special Teams> D Coaches> D. Hopefully we can get our act together before we start playing 5A calibur football teams. Afterall Morristown West is only a 4A team and we couldn't stop them. Good luck next week.

I`ve said this for awhile now, we`ll run a play that doesn't work well 20 times, but plays that work we'll only run once or twice. We spread out West with 4WR and gained 4yds on a draw, never saw that play or formation the rest of the game. Called a screen got 15+yds, never saw it again, saw none of the 4WR sets that worked so well against Greenville. Threw one slant, no stop routes, easy pass plays that we should be able to complete whenever we want to. Another I noticed was at the end of the half, we didn't get into any kind of hurry up offense, we were still running WR's in from the sideline burning up the clock. Even going back to last year in close games I never remember seeing us in any kind of hurry up offense, do we even have a hurry up offense?

I`ve said this for awhile now, we`ll run a play that doesn't work well 20 times, but plays that work we'll only run once or twice. We spread out West with 4WR and gained 4yds on a draw, never saw that play or formation the rest of the game. Called a screen got 15+yds, never saw it again, saw none of the 4WR sets that worked so well against Greenville. Threw one slant, no stop routes, easy pass plays that we should be able to complete whenever we want to. Another I noticed was at the end of the half, we didn't get into any kind of hurry up offense, we were still running WR's in from the sideline burning up the clock. Even going back to last year in close games I never remember seeing us in any kind of hurry up offense, do we even have a hurry up offense?

I said the same thing last night JC....the way Jefferson County runs their offense, there was no way they could've come back from 14 down under five minutes...without a t/o, onside kick etc that is

its good to be back...

1. mcfall needs to be in the RB position in my opinion. he is not a great decision maker and his athleticism will be better exploited there. if he does stay at qb then we need to run the option a whole heck of a lot more so he can make plays.

2. play calling still hampers the pats. agree with jc4, why don't we run the plays that work more than once a game?

3. it was a tough loss, but it all starts in earnest this friday when we open up region play.

4. congrats to DZ on bama win.

5. not so sure i made the right decision on which game to attend on friday night. heard i missed a good one in alcoa v maryville... and the drive would have been much shorter