Game clock not kept on scoreboard?

I was at the Central vs Notre Dame game at Finley Stadium and they made an anouncement on the PA that said the according to a new TSSAA rule, the game clock will be kept on the field and not the scoreboard. Is this correct? If so, I think it is a stupid rule and makes the game hard for the fans and I would assume players too on keeping up with how much time is left in the game. Does anyone have any intake on this?

I was at the Central vs Notre Dame game at Finley Stadium and they made an anouncement on the PA that said the according to a new TSSAA rule, the game clock will be kept on the field and not the scoreboard. Is this correct? If so, I think it is a stupid rule and makes the game hard for the fans and I would assume players too on keeping up with how much time is left in the game. Does anyone have any intake on this?

There was an article in the Murfreesboro paper about this. If the clock cannot be kept on the field with a cord/switch or a wireless switch, then the clock is kept on the field.

No, The new rule (if my memory is correct) will be kept on the field only if the scoreboard and or stadium is not wired for the official to control the clock from the field.

Someone else might be able to explain it better.

The game clock must be operated from the field. It can be the scoreboard clock as long as an official can operate it from the field side. This is for a couple of good reasons.

The clock operator is the point of reference for the referee (white hat) to judge whether the qb has crossed the line of scrimmage when he throws a pass. The operator should stand on the line of scrimmage.

Another reason is the protection of the clock operator as they must traverse less than friendly stands up to/down from a press box. They become separated from the rest of the crew and security could be a major issue at a heated contest. This is a national not a state rule.

Schools were given multiple years (2-5) to come in compliance before enforcement. Finley is a college stadium and ECO's at college level traditionally remain in the press box. Their scoreboard clock may/may not (don't know) be able to be operated at field level.

No, The new rule (if my memory is correct) will be kept on the field only if the scoreboard and or stadium is not wired for the official to control the clock from the field.

Someone else might be able to explain it better.

You are correct. The schools have known this for several years prior to it being a requirement. In addition, if the clock has any malfunction the clock is to be turned off with the ECO keeping the clock on a stopwatch on the field.

You are correct. The schools have known this for several years prior to it being a requirement. In addition, if the clock has any malfunction the clock is to be turned off with the ECO keeping the clock on a stopwatch on the field.

Actually, the requirement dates back to something like 1964. TSSAA got lax on enforcing it, and a couple of years ago, gave the schools until this year to get into compliance. In 2009, if the clock can't be operated from the field, the school will not be allowed to host a playoff game.

See http://www.tssaa.org/BoardofControl/Actions/June2008.pdf Item number 19.

The clock malfunctioned this past week at Karns (wouldn't stop with the field controller) and they set it on 00 and a ref stood back behind the qb about 15 yards and kept it on a big wristwatch. I understand this rule completely and they usually do this at freshmen and JV games anyway, it is annoying for the fans, I bet I looked at those 00's a hundred times in the 4th qtr!