TOPPERS @ CYCLONES

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I??™m not an Elizabethton fan but I thought I would shed a little light on this convo for those of you that seem to be in the dark. Either you have a short memory or you??™re to young to know any better. These last 2 years have been the first time Elizabethton hasn??™t made it to at least the first round of the 4A playoffs since 1992. That??™s 13 years straight??¦count um!!! They made three straight appearances in the semifinals in 97??™, 98??™, and 99??™. Cloudland has only made it past the second round (at the single A level I might add) three times in school history. Hampton has only been a contender (also in a lower 2A level) in the last three years and that is probably going to come to an end this year. And let me just add that if either Hampton or Cloudland played in the MLK instead of the much weaker conferences you are in now, those appearances in the playoffs would have been WAY fewer. Elizabethton has a rich football tradition and you would be foolish to put Hampton or Cloudland in the same sentence. Yes these last two or three years have been rough, but even in a down time as this Hampton would have had to work for it, and Cloudland could just forget about competing. Oh yea??¦to all you Longhorn fans I leave you with this??¦

2007 at Johnson Co. 27 Elizabethton 13

2006 at Elizabethton 7 Johnson Co. 15

2005 at Johnson Co. 0 Elizabethton 14

2004 at Johnson Co. 6 Elizabethton 21

2003 at Elizabethton 35 Johnson Co. 22

2002 at Johnson Co. 18 Elizabethton 54

2001 at Elizabethton 35 Johnson Co. 19

You must have forgot! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Like I said??¦short memory!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I see Science Hill winning this game by 3 touchdowns. I dont see a need to critize Besty because they have a long tradition of winning. I do think they are getting a little to much credit because of their coach at this point. The played HV for goodness sake. That shows nothing. I think what has happened to the program is that their numbers have been reduced to the level of JC, etc. so now they are not getting the advantage like TN High and South have in the MLC (I realize this is not by their choice) with the extra numbers to pick from. I personally think the game between JC and Besty will be close. Besty will rise back up and be competitive in the new system next year but the glory days are gone of being competitive with the 5A schools. Other than South and TN High no one in the MLC can be consistently competitve with DB or SH except every once in a blue moon and if Science Hill gets back on their feet not even those two will be able to compete at that level year in year out. Numbers make all the difference in the world when you are talking consistency.

I see Science Hill winning this game by 3 touchdowns. I dont see a need to critize Besty because they have a long tradition of winning. I do think they are getting a little to much credit because of their coach at this point. The played HV for goodness sake. That shows nothing. I think what has happened to the program is that their numbers have been reduced to the level of JC, etc. so now they are not getting the advantage like TN High and South have in the MLC (I realize this is not by their choice) with the extra numbers to pick from. I personally think the game between JC and Besty will be close. Besty will rise back up and be competitive in the new system next year but the glory days are gone of being competitive with the 5A schools. Other than South and TN High no one in the MLC can be consistently competitve with DB or SH except every once in a blue moon and if Science Hill gets back on their feet not even those two will be able to compete at that level year in year out. Numbers make all the difference in the world when you are talking consistency.

What is the enrollment at Eliz??? You mention Sullivan South---SS has only about 1000 kids.

I agree with everything you just said. Are you sure your from Johnson County /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ? It's hard to tell when you don't end your post with some kind of "we're better than you" statement.

Great observation in my opinion. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What is the enrollment at Eliz??? You mention Sullivan South---SS has only about 1000 kids.

According to a web site I refer too, this is how they stood as of 07'.

Johnson Co. 697

Elizabethton 778

Sullivan South 1080

THS 1247

Science Hill 2531

According to a web site I refer too, this is how they stood as of 07'.

Johnson Co. 697

Elizabethton 778

Sullivan South 1080

THS 1247

Science Hill 2531

Just got back online. Wasnt ignoring your question. Looks like you got the data. 20 years ago, Johnson County could no more compete with Elizabethton than they could DB consistently but the numbers game has changed that. I dont think JC had beat Besty since the 50's until a couple of years ago keeping in mind that they went years without playing each other. I am looking forward to a great year in the MLC. I am glad things change next year but at the same time I am sad. We may never play TN High or South again and actually there have been some good games in my opinion. The lighting game was one that I will always remember just because of the circumstance. As for JC playing Hampton and Happy Valley, I do feel that Hampton is usually decent. I dont like playing Happy Valley recently at least. We basically do this due to travel and gate. Those were the big games in the old Watauga Conference and have held on just like TN High/ DB, etc. I do think we have a very good team this year and should compete but the Besty game will go a long way in showing that. My opinion is you need to beat South and TN High before making any claims to anything or running your trap in the MLC. The other thing that makes the student body at JC look large is the fact that they count the optional high school (people getting a GED) into the total. this is an option and most schools dont use this number. It happened to be just enough (around 100) to throw JC into the next classification up a few years back and get some more money so they used it. Basically in the actual high school there are about 597 you could say. This year they will graduate around 150. Good luck to all.

I??™m not an Elizabethton fan but I thought I would shed a little light on this convo for those of you that seem to be in the dark. Either you have a short memory or you??™re to young to know any better. These last 2 years have been the first time Elizabethton hasn??™t made it to at least the first round of the 4A playoffs since 1992. That??™s 13 years straight??¦count um!!! They made three straight appearances in the semifinals in 97??™, 98??™, and 99??™. Cloudland has only made it past the second round (at the single A level I might add) three times in school history. Hampton has only been a contender (also in a lower 2A level) in the last three years and that is probably going to come to an end this year. And let me just add that if either Hampton or Cloudland played in the MLK instead of the much weaker conferences you are in now, those appearances in the playoffs would have been WAY fewer. Elizabethton has a rich football tradition and you would be foolish to put Hampton or Cloudland in the same sentence. Yes these last two or three years have been rough, but even in a down time as this Hampton would have had to work for it, and Cloudland could just forget about competing. Oh yea??¦to all you Longhorn fans I leave you with this??¦

2007 at Johnson Co. 27 Elizabethton 13

2006 at Elizabethton 7 Johnson Co. 15

2005 at Johnson Co. 0 Elizabethton 14

2004 at Johnson Co. 6 Elizabethton 21

2003 at Elizabethton 35 Johnson Co. 22

2002 at Johnson Co. 18 Elizabethton 54

2001 at Elizabethton 35 Johnson Co. 19

You must have forgot! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Like I said??¦short memory!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Cloudland would have named the score against Betsy in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2005 and last year would be close. That is over half the decade. In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, Hampton would have destroyed Elizabethton and the fans would have been so embarrassed that Dave Rider would have come out of retirement! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Those are facts. Like I said though, the Cyclone fans are dillusional! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I'm glad Johnson County, Cloudland, and Hampton naysayers are so glad that they could have beat, or 'mythically' could have beat, Elizabethtonin the past decade. zAZa90, I don't know where your confidence comes from, but 1A is most definatley not 4A. I'm just going to assume that your only here to stir the pot, because your just throwing fuel on a dying flame. When it comes to Elizabethton/Science Hill, nobody cares about Johnson County, Cloudland, or Hampton. Sorry to inform you, but you need to lay off the mountain cough medicine.

Much respect for the football program in Elizabethton, this coming from a DB fan. I have many good memories watching games and hearing stories between the Indians and Cyclones over the years, from the Middle 7 Conference in middle school to the old Big 5 of yester year. Best wishes in your rise back to the top, whatever classification you end up in.

No cough medicine here! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> The same Mt. City team that kicked your butt last year was run over by Hamtpon. Elizabethton could not have beaten the Hampton teams the last three years or the Cloudland teams before that. My confidence comes from evidence. Where have you been the last decade? 4-A teams have been consistently destroyed by 1-A teams all during the decade. You guys are dillusional like I said. Tell your chicken poop Coach Witten to put them on the schedule and see what happens. Instead, you all look the other way. YOU need to face up with the reality that Cyclone players are not as physical and don't play the game with emotion like our smaller county schools. Arrogance, money, and politics dominate the thinking of your community. Remember the year 2000 when it all started? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Happy Valley destroys elizabethton the opening week and then Cloudland destroys Happy Valley on their home field 57-7? HV hasn't played Cloudland since. Go figure. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

A hard fought win for the Toppers, 28-21. The game was in doubt until an illegal touch nullified the Cyclone's recovery of an onside kick with about a minute to go. Turnovers killed Elizabethton, though Science Hill missed two short field goals and could not put Betsy away. The scoreboard and clock were out, off and on, all night, one bank of lights went out and half the field was dark, and both teams made lots of mistakes. However, both teams played hard and had some bright moments. I thought Kinley played well for Science Hill and Itaro made some big plays for the Cyclones.

A hard fought win for the Toppers, 28-21. The game was in doubt until an illegal touch nullified the Cyclone's recovery of an onside kick with about a minute to go. Turnovers killed Elizabethton, though Science Hill missed two short field goals and could not put Betsy away. The scoreboard and clock were out, off and on, all night, one bank of lights went out and half the field was dark, and both teams made lots of mistakes. However, both teams played hard and had some bright moments. I thought Kinley played well for Science Hill and Itaro made some big plays for the Cyclones.

Great game on both sides of the ball,both teams have great athletes! I think that is what the Cyclones needed for there confidence. Turnovers killed us everytime we had a chance! Nothing to be ashamed of though the Cyclones held tough and no one got hurt for either team!

Now get ready for MLC play!

Go CYCLONES!