Waverly vs Harpeth

rednecktiger

well from what ya'l are saying, this match up should be pretty good...how is harpeth's D??

Waverly is in for a long night. They will not move the ball a lot against the "D". They may not even score a point considering a weak 1a team held them scoreless last week. I say my boys from KS win this one going away. Final score Harpeth 37 behind the explosive veer, Waverville 0 due to the outstanding play of the Harpeth D. GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how Harpeth handles their game strategies this season. What we have seen in preseason thus far is line up and play without any real strategy. The things Harpeth did successfully a year ago from the spread was to attack offensively and put up points early and then settle into their running game and it was a solid game plan. The veer is not an explosive offense as it is designed for timing and precision, but there are some kids capable of making big plays so we will see how it goes. My big concern with the veer is that if Harpeth finds themselves down a couple of scores late in the game, they will be hard pressed to play catch up in the veer and will need a backup offensive plan and strategy. The upside is that if they can move the ball and score early, the veer will present a lot of problems for the defense especially as the game wears on. Limiting turnovers and moving the chains is the key to success for Harpeth.

The jury is still out on the Harpeth defense. Last year's defense made it easy for teams to exploit the short and midrange passes and Harpeth didn't give up a lot of big plays down the field. This year's D should be good against the run and can be good against the pass if they can get pressure on the QB. The D line will have to step up big and make some plays and if they do the defense will take care of itself. In years past, the secondary has had to make too many plays but we saw that beginning to change last year so hopefully they will improve on that even more this season.

It will be interesting to see how Harpeth handles their game strategies this season. What we have seen in preseason thus far is line up and play without any real strategy. The things Harpeth did successfully a year ago from the spread was to attack offensively and put up points early and then settle into their running game and it was a solid game plan. The veer is not an explosive offense as it is designed for timing and precision, but there are some kids capable of making big plays so we will see how it goes. My big concern with the veer is that if Harpeth finds themselves down a couple of scores late in the game, they will be hard pressed to play catch up in the veer and will need a backup offensive plan and strategy. The upside is that if they can move the ball and score early, the veer will present a lot of problems for the defense especially as the game wears on. Limiting turnovers and moving the chains is the key to success for Harpeth.

The jury is still out on the Harpeth defense. Last year's defense made it easy for teams to exploit the short and midrange passes and Harpeth didn't give up a lot of big plays down the field. This year's D should be good against the run and can be good against the pass if they can get pressure on the QB. The D line will have to step up big and make some plays and if they do the defense will take care of itself. In years past, the secondary has had to make too many plays but we saw that beginning to change last year so hopefully they will improve on that even more this season.

I agree the D is going to be better, but i disagree about the veer not being explosive. you will see us destroy waverville friday with it. we will also go on a tear against our region with it. we were good on o last year, but we were predictable. now we will be explosive and unpredictable. who has the ball? I don't know, is it the dive , or the qb, or the pitch, or is it a pass? who knows? Domination will be the meal we serve to the tigers. GO TRIBE!!!!

I agree the D is going to be better, but i disagree about the veer not being explosive. you will see us destroy waverville friday with it. we will also go on a tear against our region with it. we were good on o last year, but we were predictable. now we will be explosive and unpredictable. who has the ball? I don't know, is it the dive , or the qb, or the pitch, or is it a pass? who knows? Domination will be the meal we serve to the tigers. GO TRIBE!!!!

I would love to say I agree with you but the truth about the success of the veer will depend on the offensive line play and effective run blocking schemes. Harpeth must master technique at the line and if they do, yes, they can have much success. Another element is that you are exposing your QBs to three times more hits in the veer and you want to keep your QBs healthy. Just some thoughts..........and love your enthusiasm!

How can you say that Waverly got beat by a weak 1A team last week? Wayne County is a very stout 1A team and will likely beat Mt. Pleasant and Collinwood and win that Region.

I say that Waverly pulls it together this week. They may not win, but this will not be a blowout.

I hope Waverly 21 - Harpeth 13

I predict Harpeth 19 - Waverly 12

There are some tradeoffs to be sure. More running plays than passes will eat clock and keep the defense off the field. That's good if you're ahead or about to go ahead. If you're behind, Outofbounds is right, there will have to be a Plan B to get the ball down the field in a hurry. Personally I think Harpeth's personnel is set up to do either.

You have to have some semblence of balance unless you're just lining up and knocking people off the ball. Lewis County threw one pass last week and it was intercepted. They won by one in the last 5 minutes of the game. A good defense will be able to take away something. If it's the run, you've got to move the ball through the air. If it's the pass either by coverage or qb pressure, you've got to be able to run. The thing about the Veer that I like is that every play can be a positive play if the qb makes the correct read. In most other offenses, the play is called and you live with what you get after the snap. In the Veer, you take what the defense gives you most of the time. There are very few set plays. There's typically options. When it's executed right and all of the players are executing their fakes, blocks and reads, it's tough to stop.

I'll not be making a prediction in this one. It's going to be a good one.

On defense I saw where Huffines is now calling the plays. This will be the first time in years, though he will have an input I am sure, in which Loope is not coordinating the defense.

I heard about a lunchroom incident that has cost Harpeth the services of their best RB this week. I applaud the Indians coaches for getting rid of someone like that.

Meh. The rushing yards were going to be distributed anyway. There's 5 or 6 guys running the ball besides the qb. I don't see one or two guys carrying the load this year.

I'm anxious to see how the new offense is game planned. Scrimmages are for getting stuff on film to see where guys can improve. It's time to unwrap it and put it out there. I can't wait.

Meh. The rushing yards were going to be distributed anyway. There's 5 or 6 guys running the ball besides the qb. I don't see one or two guys carrying the load this year.

I'm anxious to see how the new offense is game planned. Scrimmages are for getting stuff on film to see where guys can improve. It's time to unwrap it and put it out there. I can't wait.

I agree. We don't have to rely on only one or two guys this year. We have a lot of guys that can run the ball. I can't wait until kickoff so we can start popping the pads. Waverville is in for a game they are not ready for. They won't be as phyisical as us and it is going to show. No way they can bring the pain like we do. They looked soft on film against a weak 1a team and now they have to face a hardnosed team running the explosive veer. Should be a long night for the tiggers. GO TRIBE!!!!!

I agree. We don't have to rely on only one or two guys this year. We have a lot of guys that can run the ball. I can't wait until kickoff so we can start popping the pads. Waverville is in for a game they are not ready for. They won't be as phyisical as us and it is going to show. No way they can bring the pain like we do. They looked soft on film against a weak 1a team and now they have to face a hardnosed team running the explosive veer. Should be a long night for the tiggers. GO TRIBE!!!!!

On a given night, any team can rise to the occasion no matter who they are and every team needs to give their opponent their due respect. Want to see Harpeth win convincingly as well so let's just wait till Friday night and see how things unfold.