INDY vs. Centennial

Ok - as an IHS fan, my feeling is that we were outcoached last night. To me it looked like their were a few key calls in plays that made a big difference. Am I saying I believe the blame totally goes on the coaches....NO, but that's where it starts....with the coaching.

One play call in question was one that many were talking about after the game. Why try to run a reverse in the end zone? Heckman to Bailey had been a struggle throughout the night. To try that in the endzone.........ridiculous! Heckman should have aired it out or they should have run a slant pass to gain some yardage.......result CHS safety!

After that fiasco, IHS had to kick the ball to CHS. IHS sent their kicker on the field to kick and did not change the game plan. The kicker had been kicking short left all night to keep the ball away from CHS fast receivers....not a bad move. Not sure who coaches special teams, but to send a kicker out after the safety and not tell him to send it sailing is crazy! I actually spoke to a couple of IHS special teams players last night after the game and they said the kicker was never told to change his kick! That is a coaching issue.

I hope the coaches take some responsibility for this loss. IHS was very capable of winning this game, but as I have noticed over the past few weeks, IHS has no intensity or motivation. This too could be a coaching issue.

Great coaches motivate their teams and encourage them. I have the utmost respect for Eubanks and his coaches. They have proven themselves in our district. Eubanks, being a fairly new high school head coach, needs to realize that it is his job to make his team "think" they can win every game. He is molding young men's lives whether he knows it or not. I know that is a huge responsibility, but I do think he is capable of doing a great job at that.

IHS may be a young team, but this is the talent of the near future. The coaches need to make sure they are motivating, teaching, and encouraging these young men. They just seem to look beaten down and to watch them on the sideline, I don't see much in the way of motivation. If this trend continues, IHS will continue on a downward spiral. My hope is that over the next 2 weeks (since we have a bye), they will work through these issues (coaches and players) and try to improve over the rest of the season.

A lot of team attitude is a reflection of coach's attitudes. IHS needs to realize that and work on it!!!!

Congratulations CHS on a well played game and the win. No excuses for IHS loss. Kelley went to middle school down here, so we all like to see his successes! Good luck on the rest of your season and our prayers go out for your coach!

I believe the IHS talent is there. I am just concerned that the coaches (coming off of a state championship game) don't see it as that if we don't win every game. Losses are learning experiences, too. (maybe even for our coaches)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game, but calling a reverse in the end zone with the score tied that late in the game is very questionable. To me, it looks like Centennial shut down the deep passing game (which had been HUGE for Indy in the two games leading up to this one). Part of that was probably the sloppy conditions but nonetheless, Indy didn't stretch the field with the pass as much. Heckman had another incredible game, particularly running the ball. However, Indy MUST and I repeat MUST find some semblance of tailback that they can hand the ball to out of the I-Formation, otherwise they have no shot of doing ANYTHING in this region. Those not named Alex Heckman had 9 carries for 25 yards last night. That is not getting it done. I hope that these errors are corrected and corrected soon, or the Eagles are in for a long season.

Ok - as an IHS fan, my feeling is that we were outcoached last night. To me it looked like their were a few key calls in plays that made a big difference. Am I saying I believe the blame totally goes on the coaches....NO, but that's where it starts....with the coaching.

One play call in question was one that many were talking about after the game. Why try to run a reverse in the end zone? Heckman to Bailey had been a struggle throughout the night. To try that in the endzone.........ridiculous! Heckman should have aired it out or they should have run a slant pass to gain some yardage.......result CHS safety!

After that fiasco, IHS had to kick the ball to CHS. IHS sent their kicker on the field to kick and did not change the game plan. The kicker had been kicking short left all night to keep the ball away from CHS fast receivers....not a bad move. Not sure who coaches special teams, but to send a kicker out after the safety and not tell him to send it sailing is crazy! I actually spoke to a couple of IHS special teams players last night after the game and they said the kicker was never told to change his kick! That is a coaching issue.

I hope the coaches take some responsibility for this loss. IHS was very capable of winning this game, but as I have noticed over the past few weeks, IHS has no intensity or motivation. This too could be a coaching issue.

Great coaches motivate their teams and encourage them. I have the utmost respect for Eubanks and his coaches. They have proven themselves in our district. Eubanks, being a fairly new high school head coach, needs to realize that it is his job to make his team "think" they can win every game. He is molding young men's lives whether he knows it or not. I know that is a huge responsibility, but I do think he is capable of doing a great job at that.

IHS may be a young team, but this is the talent of the near future. The coaches need to make sure they are motivating, teaching, and encouraging these young men. They just seem to look beaten down and to watch them on the sideline, I don't see much in the way of motivation. If this trend continues, IHS will continue on a downward spiral. My hope is that over the next 2 weeks (since we have a bye), they will work through these issues (coaches and players) and try to improve over the rest of the season.

A lot of team attitude is a reflection of coach's attitudes. IHS needs to realize that and work on it!!!!

Congratulations CHS on a well played game and the win. No excuses for IHS loss. Kelley went to middle school down here, so we all like to see his successes! Good luck on the rest of your season and our prayers go out for your coach!

I believe the IHS talent is there. I am just concerned that the coaches (coming off of a state championship game) don't see it as that if we don't win every game. Losses are learning experiences, too. (maybe even for our coaches)

I will agree and disagree with you on this one for sure. I was able to see IHS play at BA and again last night. Do the coaches make mistakes and questionable calls at times, I agree, they can and do. You will find this to be the case at many high school football games, so nothing new there. Did the reverse from deep in their own end make sense, obvioulsy not at that time, but you and I both know that if the play had worked, we would both be singing praises for that call.

The reverse call that led to the safety was not the difference maker in this game, you and I both know that if you were in fact paying attention throughout the entire game. It is what led up to that point in the game that got IHS in trouble. (Poor defensive play, fumble, drive to the CHS 3 yard line that resulted in no points, etc) Not using it as an excuse at all, but the weather was a real issue as well. The area of concern right now for me personally and should be with Eubanks and his staff is the defense. I also agree with another poster that stated the offense needs another threat besides Heckman, granted he is awesome to watch, and yes, very much like Tebow! If IHS can fix their defense and find another playmaker to help carry the load for them, they will be ok. The players seem motivated to me, at least they did at BA and last night. Maybe at times they lost their "attitude", which may be a result of the youth and inexperience on the field for them.

I believe it is too early to throw Coach Eubanks under the bus and call him and the staff out for what has happened thus far. I am also a big believer that the coaches coach and the players play, and right now, the inexperience in this team shows. As hard as it is to swallow the loss to CHS (By the way Congratulations) IHS will come around and learn from this, just as you have stated. This team started the season last year 1-3 if I am not mistaken, and I was sitting in the stands over in Murfreesboro in early December rooting for the eagles.

I will agree and disagree with you on this one for sure. I was able to see IHS play at BA and again last night. Do the coaches make mistakes and questionable calls at times, I agree, they can and do. You will find this to be the case at many high school football games, so nothing new there. Did the reverse from deep in their own end make sense, obvioulsy not at that time, but you and I both know that if the play had worked, we would both be singing praises for that call.

The reverse call that led to the safety was not the difference maker in this game, you and I both know that if you were in fact paying attention throughout the entire game. It is what led up to that point in the game that got IHS in trouble. (Poor defensive play, fumble, drive to the CHS 3 yard line that resulted in no points, etc) Not using it as an excuse at all, but the weather was a real issue as well. The area of concern right now for me personally and should be with Eubanks and his staff is the defense. I also agree with another poster that stated the offense needs another threat besides Heckman, granted he is awesome to watch, and yes, very much like Tebow! If IHS can fix their defense and find another playmaker to help carry the load for them, they will be ok. The players seem motivated to me, at least they did at BA and last night. Maybe at times they lost their "attitude", which may be a result of the youth and inexperience on the field for them.

I believe it is too early to throw Coach Eubanks under the bus and call him and the staff out for what has happened thus far. I am also a big believer that the coaches coach and the players play, and right now, the inexperience in this team shows. As hard as it is to swallow the loss to CHS (By the way Congratulations) IHS will come around and learn from this, just as you have stated. This team started the season last year 1-3 if I am not mistaken, and I was sitting in the stands over in Murfreesboro in early December rooting for the eagles.

Agreed. We definitely have some things to work on both defensively and offensively! I am not throwing Coach Eubanks under the bus, in fact I stated that coaching (last night) was part of the problem....not all of it! It may actually be more of a "communication problem" than a coaching problem, but coaching is by and large....communication. I think he and his other coaches are good. (really like the defensive coach...I think his name is Bob....he shows intensity!!!) All I am saying is morale is easy to come by and great when you are winning. I think the coaches and probably team leaders need to show this young team how to be motivated and have intensity even when they are losing. If we want the young players to rise up to be good leaders...they have to have good examples.

I agree that we need some other players to step up and help Heckman. He can't do it all. Weather was an issue last night....passing game was fairly weak, I think, because of it. But because of that, we showed weaknesses in our running game. Maybe this next couple of weeks some new talent will emerge. If this turns out to be a "growing" season for us, then hopefully through practices, the coaches will see some up and coming talent that they can try out. I realize that the beginning of the year last year was similar so do I think we can improve....absolutely! (on many levels) I am not throwing anyone under the bus or throwing in the towel for this season. I know what talent lies deep on that bench! I too was in Murfreesboro and hope to be there again!

well finally, drew must have introduced himself to the chs coaching staff. heres another clue for you, he plays defense also, and as a sophmore, he played the screen pass as good as it gets. i remember him not rushing the qb but holding his ground and making the qb go over the top. drew, introduce yourself to the defensive coaches.

also ill bet money that eubanks set his defense with the sole intent to stop drew. they left the slant open all game long, why do you do that? you look to set it up, and take away averything else they could have done with drew. but for 3 times it did not work. i still say kelly is the biggest threat in middle tn.

Agreed. We definitely have some things to work on both defensively and offensively! I am not throwing Coach Eubanks under the bus, in fact I stated that coaching (last night) was part of the problem....not all of it! It may actually be more of a "communication problem" than a coaching problem, but coaching is by and large....communication. I think he and his other coaches are good. (really like the defensive coach...I think his name is Bob....he shows intensity!!!) All I am saying is morale is easy to come by and great when you are winning. I think the coaches and probably team leaders need to show this young team how to be motivated and have intensity even when they are losing. If we want the young players to rise up to be good leaders...they have to have good examples.

I agree that we need some other players to step up and help Heckman. He can't do it all. Weather was an issue last night....passing game was fairly weak, I think, because of it. But because of that, we showed weaknesses in our running game. Maybe this next couple of weeks some new talent will emerge. If this turns out to be a "growing" season for us, then hopefully through practices, the coaches will see some up and coming talent that they can try out. I realize that the beginning of the year last year was similar so do I think we can improve....absolutely! (on many levels) I am not throwing anyone under the bus or throwing in the towel for this season. I know what talent lies deep on that bench! I too was in Murfreesboro and hope to be there again!

One thing I questioned last night was the squib-kick on every kickoff. I could see where Eubanks was coming from; the wet field might have created some handling problems. But when it came clear that CHS was simply going to jump on it and not try to force anything, I would have just booted it and tried to pin CHS deep. Especially with the problems CHS has had on offense this season, why give us a shorter field to work with? I mean, as a Centennial fan, I think it was a brilliant strategy by Eubanks /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . But from a coaching perspective I kind of questioned that.

okay first off, the Indy Nation was rockin last night.. second, my view on the game: Alex Heckman was the silver lining to the game for IHS last night he tore it up on the ground and through the air. Scales is fast.. i dont know how to say it much more clear he is just a speed demon! we tried to contain him and keep him inside but he got outside and once he did our secondary was put in a tough position to make tackles. Drew Kelly really stepped up last night, 3 td's and it is almost impossible for anyone to match up with him cause of his height and size. Finally, this is how i am distributing the blame 65% the players, 35% the coaching... Yes Eubanks and the staff made a questionable play call on the goal line but thats what they believed could work. The players.. i dont really know what to say except that penalties and turnovers kill a team. Third and finally the game changing play was no doubt the 15 yard penalty on the field goal, and the 15 yard penalty for the late hit on the Indy sideline. Thats how i see it congrats to CHS for a game well played and way to take advantage of your opportunities. IHS we need to do some work and get ready for the franklin game coming up.

okay first off, the Indy Nation was rockin last night.. second, my view on the game: Alex Heckman was the silver lining to the game for IHS last night he tore it up on the ground and through the air. Scales is fast.. i dont know how to say it much more clear he is just a speed demon! we tried to contain him and keep him inside but he got outside and once he did our secondary was put in a tough position to make tackles. Drew Kelly really stepped up last night, 3 td's and it is almost impossible for anyone to match up with him cause of his height and size. Finally, this is how i am distributing the blame 65% the players, 35% the coaching... Yes Eubanks and the staff made a questionable play call on the goal line but thats what they believed could work. The players.. i dont really know what to say except that penalties and turnovers kill a team. Third and finally the game changing play was no doubt the 15 yard penalty on the field goal, and the 15 yard penalty for the late hit on the Indy sideline. Thats how i see it congrats to CHS for a game well played and way to take advantage of your opportunities. IHS we need to do some work and get ready for the franklin game coming up.

Well put...agree totally! 65% to 35% is a good ratio. That is really what i was trying to say in my post above, but I feel like some thought I was putting all blame on coaches. Not so.....coaches and players alike have some work to do to get ready for Franklin. INDY Nation was truly in rare form, but penalties killed us last night!!!!

I was suprised by the CHS team last night. You could tell they were playing with a chip on their shoulder. Even though I dislike them, I hope CHS has a successful year this year. Chaz is a playmaker, nuff said. If I was coaching the IHS team I would've made a few different play calls but I'm not. The Eagles will be ready for Franklin in two weeks. Coach Bobby will work that defense's tail off. I was dissapointed in the student turnout for CHS. I thought there would be plenty of more students there. I was actually hoping to cheer against someone this week.

I was suprised by the CHS team last night. You could tell they were playing with a chip on their shoulder. Even though I dislike them, I hope CHS has a successful year this year. Chaz is a playmaker, nuff said. If I was coaching the IHS team I would've made a few different play calls but I'm not. The Eagles will be ready for Franklin in two weeks. Coach Bobby will work that defense's tail off. I was dissapointed in the student turnout for CHS. I thought there would be plenty of more students there. I was actually hoping to cheer against someone this week.

I was a little disappointed at the crowd. I know a bunch of people who didn't want to go because of the weather, and several others left after it starting raining. The band and their crowd left before kickoff.

I was a little disappointed at the crowd. I know a bunch of people who didn't want to go because of the weather, and several others left after it starting raining. The band and their crowd left before kickoff.

Weather is no excuse, did anyone see the independence tailgate and fan section? Everyone was there at 5 O clock and stayed the entire game. I am disappointed in the loss but very proud of indy nation for standing their ground. As for centennial their crowd turn out was very disappointing, they had more people on the field than in their stands, its not that far of a drive people.