Riverdale - Coffee Co time change

mr300bowl

Are you under the impression that soccer is supported by football revenues? or that football paid for the construction of the athletic stadium?

Done differently in different places, I guess. Here (Coffee county) all of the gate money is put into a general fund and ends up dispersed from there. Granted football gets the majority of that back- most of it -but small percentages go to programs like soccer to pay for referees and bus trips. The remainder is left to be raised by the program. Our football grounds crew even takes care of the soccer field ... cuts it and takes care of the grass in the off-season. But the soccer program doesnt' do much in the way of raising money to support its field. Our soccer field doesn't have bathrooms - have to walk to the football field. But I never hear of them doing anything like the bigger programs to raise money. While I am a football fan, I'm a baseball guy and involved in the local baseball team raising money. Not like we have money flowing in the door. We raise funds for everything we have. Built our own concessions, built our own hitting facility, field maitenance and all of that is paid for by boosters. We work concessions at LP Field for a lot of our money and sell countless other things. And I doubt that is shared with anyone. I would throw a fit if the soccer team wanted to play at our field because we have nice green grass and restroom facilities, etc. But if the R'dale soccer complex doesn't have the facilities it needs - raise money and build better ones. Don't count on using the football team's complex.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done differently in different places, I guess. Here (Coffee county) all of the gate money is put into a general fund and ends up dispersed from there. Granted football gets the majority of that back- most of it -but small percentages go to programs like soccer to pay for referees and bus trips. The remainder is left to be raised by the program. Our football grounds crew even takes care of the soccer field ... cuts it and takes care of the grass in the off-season. But the soccer program doesnt' do much in the way of raising money to support its field. Our soccer field doesn't have bathrooms - have to walk to the football field. But I never hear of them doing anything like the bigger programs to raise money. While I am a football fan, I'm a baseball guy and involved in the local baseball team raising money. Not like we have money flowing in the door. We raise funds for everything we have. Built our own concessions, built our own hitting facility, field maitenance and all of that is paid for by boosters. We work concessions at LP Field for a lot of our money and sell countless other things. And I doubt that is shared with anyone. I would throw a fit if the soccer team wanted to play at our field because we have nice green grass and restroom facilities, etc. But if the R'dale soccer complex doesn't have the facilities it needs - raise money and build better ones. Don't count on using the football team's complex.

murfreesboro does have the facilities for soccer

i mean they do have 2 soccer parks

i already said that its at the bottom of the last page

Your post on the last page states why they can play there - and I think they should play there, apparantly since they aren't happy with the complex at the school. Why don't they go over there, though? That's the question - What is stopping them? Instead they complain about not being able to use the football field during football season when a football team is playing on it.

Your post on the last page states why they can play there - and I think they should play there, apparantly since they aren't happy with the complex at the school. Why don't they go over there, though? That's the question - What is stopping them? Instead they complain about not being able to use the football field during football season when a football team is playing on it.

I believe that you have missed the issue. The issue is not that they are not allowed to use the football field but that they had a game scheduled (Varsity High School Girl's Soccer) and they were bumped from the field for a Middle School Football game that was not originally scheduled. It not only gives the impression but does show that this boy's sport is given priority over a girl's sport. Even though it is considered a football field and a football stadium, it is not supposed to be. To avoid Title IX bias the schools in Murfreesboro started calling their stadiums "Multi-sport" stadiums to show that the stadiums were not singled out for football use. What they are saying and what they are actually doing are two different things. That is the point. This is not supposed to be a stadium that is dedicated to football but is supposed to be dedicated all sports that would use the facility because it was built and paid for with tax payers money and not by any particular booster club.

I believe that you have missed the issue. The issue is not that they are not allowed to use the football field but that they had a game scheduled (Varsity High School Girl's Soccer) and they were bumped from the field for a Middle School Football game that was not originally scheduled. It not only gives the impression but does show that this boy's sport is given priority over a girl's sport. Even though it is considered a football field and a football stadium, it is not supposed to be. To avoid Title IX bias the schools in Murfreesboro started calling their stadiums "Multi-sport" stadiums to show that the stadiums were not singled out for football use. What they are saying and what they are actually doing are two different things. That is the point. This is not supposed to be a stadium that is dedicated to football but is supposed to be dedicated all sports that would use the facility because it was built and paid for with tax payers money and not by any particular booster club.

Thank you Whitey.

Regarding the playing of games at another location (ie a Recreational Park like Redoubt Soccer).

I would think there is the issue of liability. If a high school athlete is forced to travel in their own vehicle, for a school sponsored event (practice or game), and is injured enroute, isn't the school partially or even completely liable. One serious accident and the school could be facing a law suit that would cost a lot more than a soccer field.

I'm no lawyer, they may not have any liability.

Our Soccer Booster club working with ChristWay Baptist church and with the help and sometimes hindrance of the Hamilton County School Board managed to get our girls a practice field with in walking distance of the high school. It only took about 3 years, but from what I observed Tuesday night they still seem to be playing regular season home games at Redoubt.

I can't tell you how many times during my daughter's four years in HS soccer we were told we couldn't play or practice on the OHS field because it was:

A. A football field

B. In a football stadium

C. Bad timing as there was a football game in whatever number of days and 22 girls in cleats were going to destroy all the work that had gone into making the field look good.

Hope things improve for you, but I wouldn't count on it. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

It is a "football" field

NO! In Rutherford County, they were pitched to the tax base that they are "Multiuse facilities". Additionally, the issue about football supporting itself is bogus. They do not consider the coaches salaries, lights, water etc. Less than 7% of Div. I Football programs are self sufficient. Do you not think that the other ninty three percent would be snapping up High School AD's that could make football self sufficient?

Pedo - You are mistaken about the Lady Raider soccer team fund raising. I understand that they had a Bonnaroo booth during the summer, did a car wash, sold ads for a soccer program, sell candy during the school year, have sold options for oil changes, amongst other things that you seem not to be aware of. They do, in fact, try very hard to raise money.