It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

How does mine apply ??????????????????????

Go ask athletic director - your school may not have any $$$ for need basis for any student - most all privates have $$$ budgeted for financial aid based on need basis - and it does not discriminate against athletes - except that athletes must work/pay back was is given and it is usualy minimal because most d1 private schools do not have huge dollars budgeted and a kid can only work so many hrs for the accepted wage.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westtnman, I'm hearing ya, and if you relook at some of my earlier posts, I said that this move was driven by BB & FB lack of success. That's two sports lack of success dictating what all of the other sports do even though they have success in the "multiplier age" of sports.

Old Timer, IMO, BB is not given a very high priority at USJ and doubt that the lack of success played a very big part in the decision.

Without trying to get everyone rialed up again, This was ALL about Football. IMO.

Not being very familiar with other sports, I assume you feel that VB will have a tougher road in D2? Maybe everything will work out for everyone. It also would be nice see more support school-wide for ALL sports. I think the kids seem to support the other sports they are not involved in, yet we as parents (and I'm guilty) seem to only take interest in the things our children are involved in.

Any accomplishments, wins or championships by Privates in D1 will always be tainted with allegations of cheating, recruiting and NOW, employing financial aide student-athteletes to work off tuition. What's next?

There almost seems to be a sense of resentment coming out now from the Public community for certain Privates making the jump. In my opinion, they only want the ones they can't beat to go away.

Couldn't be further from the truth on guaranteed spots....what I asked was, "what do you think your child would think", not what you think is an educational experience.....

Again, DI private schools cannot discriminate who gets need basis financial aid for any student that applies - it's just that if you play athletics you have to work it off - and it is minimal because of the accepted wage and the hrs a kid would be able to work. Let me guarantee that D1 privates take great care in making sure they go by the rules. Especially the sucessful/winning athletic programs. There is nothing to hide - it is within tthe rules.

Go ask athletic director - your school may not have any $$$ for need basis for any student - most all privates have $$$ budgeted for financial aid based on need basis - and it does not discriminate against athletes - except that athletes must work/pay back was is given and it is usualy minimal because most d1 private schools do not have huge dollars budgeted and a kid can only work so many hrs for the accepted wage.

That was sarcasm. With a class schedule of 6 full classes a day (and no, there are no PE classes here), practice AFTER school, and 1-2 hours homework every night, there is not much time for a part time job.

More of that unfair advantage of a private school---(see girls basketball thread re Gibson County girls open gym with block scheduling at 9:00 in the morning) - (That was sarcasm too)

I am not sure which school you are and not sure who your coach is but good coaching is also a key. You may not win but you can be competitive and not lose by 30 - 40 points. You have to have a game plan when you play teams that can beat you 30 -40 points.

USJ, and when you go 11-1 against like size schools and win a Christmas tournament in MS then I would say the coaching cannot be that bad. When you turn around with the same team and get beat by 30-40 points by schools that are 3 times bigger than you, then something is not right. The orginal statement was that this was all controlled by football. I just wanted to interject that the effect that the multiplier had on basketball also.

It was time for a move---USJ and JCS moved on----and everyone else should also.

That was sarcasm. With a class schedule of 6 full classes a day (and no, there are no PE classes here), practice AFTER school, and 1-2 hours homework every night, there is not much time for a part time job.

More of that unfair advantage of a private school---(see girls basketball thread re Gibson County girls open gym with block scheduling at 9:00 in the morning) - (That was sarcasm too)

What's unfair about it? What is the advantage? Go to any D1 private - ask what their financial aid budget is 1st/they can't give any money if they don't have any - then ask how many athletes are getting any money and the amount and if they are working it off. I think you will be surprised how "unfair" it is.

What's unfair about it? What is the advantage? Go to any D1 private - ask what their financial aid budget is 1st/they can't give any money if they don't have any - then ask how many athletes are getting any money and the amount and if they are working it off. I think you will be surprised how "unfair" it is.

I will type very slowly for you:

sar?·casm

??“noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Again, DI private schools cannot discriminate who gets need basis financial aid for any student that applies - it's just that if you play athletics you have to work it off - and it is minimal because of the accepted wage and the hrs a kid would be able to work. Let me guarantee that D1 privates take great care in making sure they go by the rules. Especially the sucessful/winning athletic programs. There is nothing to hide - it is within tthe rules.

Red Dog:

We may be parsing words here, but I think your statement is technically incorrect and may lead to some misconceptions. D-I private schools cannot discriminate who gets need based financial aid for any student that applies-------it's just that if you play athletics you cannot receive financial aid. Its not that you can receive it , but have to work it off. I think it is clear under TSSAA rules that if you are at a D-I private school, you cannot receive need based financial aid if you are participating in a TSSAA sanctioned varsity sport.

The TSSAA rules ( Article II, Sec. 16) state that : If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member. If a parent, guardian or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an obligation of the parents, guardian or other family member to repay the principle and interest in full with no exceptions. That section also provides that: Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is established and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid.

As already posted, in the TSSAA rulebook entitled Frequently Asked Questions, these questions and answers appear:

Q. Can a school employ student-athletes to ???work off??? tuition?

A. No. Article II, Section 16 sets forth the only means for reduction of tuition. A school may employ student-athletes as long as the remuneration or consideration for work is not in excess of the amount regularly paid for such service.

Q. Who is allowed to pay an student-athlete??™s tuition?

A. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by a parent, bona fide guardian, or other family member.

So, schools can employ students as long as they do not pay them pay them more than market rate for that work.....i.e. they cannot pay a student $50/hr. to cut the grass on the baseball field. This is not viewed as "financial aid". It is my understanding, like yours, that there are a number of private schools that provide summer work programs for students. But, under TSSAA rules, they cannot be employed to "work off" tuition.......i.e. they don't simply get a credit on the school's books against tuition for the work they do. My understanding is that the schools must actually pay the kid for the work done, just like anyone else would get for doing work for the school. The kid, of course, can then turn around and give what he earns to his parents, who can then use it to pay the tuition.

The end result is the same. The tuition that the kid's parents have to pay to the school is ultimately less (but not "worked off") by the amount of money that the kid receives for his work. Admittedly, this seems like a shell game. The difference I suppose is that schools might have to take out witholding, pay social security and other taxes on the money paid for the work and I suppose, depending upon the amount, the money might have to be reported by the kid or his parents for tax purposes. But, if you are saying that there is nothing wrong with this (which there is not) and that the D1 privates that do it play by the rules, then I don't think you can say that you can receive financial aid in D-1 and play athletics, you just have to work it off. I don't believe that would be going by the rules.