It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

Here are a few lines from the TSSAA bylaws:

Tuition and Financial Aid

Q. Is it permissible for a school to employ a student for summer work who has not attended the school the previous year?

A. No. In order for a student, who will be participating in athletics, to be employed by a school during the summer the student must have attended the school the previous school year.

Q. Can a school employ student-athletes to ???work off??? tuition?

A. No. Article II, Section 16 sets forth the only means for reduction of tuition. A school may employ student-athletes as long as the remuneration or consideration for work is not in excess of the amount regularly paid for such service.

Q. Must all financial aid to student-athletes be need-based?

A. Yes

Legal work study disappeared long ago. However, I have a hunch illegal work study still exists in some form or fashion in many DI independent schools. Bigchief seems to think so.

I find nothing here pertaining to D1 these are only for aid in D2. D1 is not allowed aid to student/athletes. I'm not saying a wealthy booster can't hire a student/athlete to work for them. Does this ever happen? Maybe. Is this common and prevelant? I doubt it. There are a million ways around any rule. When I was in "goverment" school 30 years ago, there were a miriad of excuses and manuvers to move from one school to another.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find nothing here pertaining to D1 these are only for aid in D2. D1 is not allowed aid to student/athletes. I'm not saying a wealthy booster can't hire a student/athlete to work for them. Does this ever happen? Maybe. Is this common and prevelant? I doubt it. There are a million ways around any rule. When I was in "goverment" school 30 years ago, there were a miriad of excuses and manuvers to move from one school to another.

Article II is the answer as far as athletes "working" off what ever need base tuittion that they got - pretty clear to me

I have never heard of this either. Would have to be a lot of hours to pay off tuition scholership money at the current tuition prices. I would love to see verification of thisas I have had children at DI and DII schools and nobody I have spoken to knows anything about it.

You are correct in that someone would have to work a whole bunch to pay "all" of the tuition, but again its on need basis and ususally less than $1000.00.

WTB, for me at the moment Volleyball which is what my daughter plays. My son used to play baseball. The tougher the competition, the more they got better. VB has been down the last couple of years, not because of the competition though, but because of the player turnover. Very young at the moment. USJ baseball never shied away from anyone and competed with everyone. For basketball, it would be tough for USJ to compete in most districts (nothing personal) but we just don't have the personel.

Boys basketball last year was loaded with talent and if we had played with like size competition, would have made a serious run in the post season. I think (and these may be off a little) that we were 11-1 with a Christmas Tourney win in Mississippi before district play begin and ended up 0-11 in district play. We were thumped in district play by 30-40 points each game. We would have competed fine in our "pre multiplier" district and had an excellent shot of winning. If you want to see another sport that needed to move to D-II, just go to a couple BB district games this year and you will see perfectly clear.

Boys basketball last year was loaded with talent and if we had played with like size competition, would have made a serious run in the post season. I think (and these may be off a little) that we were 11-1 with a Christmas Tourney win in Mississippi before district play begin and ended up 0-11 in district play. We were thumped in district play by 30-40 points each game. We would have competed fine in our "pre multiplier" district and had an excellent shot of winning. If you want to see another sport that needed to move to D-II, just go to a couple BB district games this year and you will see perfectly clear.

Westtnman, I'm hearing ya, and if you relook at some of my earlier posts, I said that this move was driven by BB & FB lack of success. That's two sports lack of success dictating what all of the other sports do even though they have success in the "multiplier age" of sports.

RedUp, I too am a parent paying full tuition, so I have a question for you on your last statement above.....How would your child feel knowing the school (parents) paid the way for someone to come in and take a spot he/she had worked hard for?

Bump....RedUp, I haven't seen an answer on this yet.

Article II is the answer as far as athletes "working" off what ever need base tuittion that they got - pretty clear to me

And if you read Article II ,these athletes are in D2 schools. You are not allowed to be an athlete and do this in a D1 school. It is considered finacial aid. There was a D1 school that had to give up a state championship just because a player was a few months behind on his tuittion payments. Like I said if you have player names and schools I'll be glad to forward that info to the TSSAA.

I am not sure which school you are and not sure who your coach is but good coaching is also a key. You may not win but you can be competitive and not lose by 30 - 40 points. You have to have a game plan when you play teams that can beat you 30 -40 points.

I still disagree on your point that it was best for ALL. Football has been a pleasant surprise, so far, yet the tough ones still remain. Baseball will not, and should not, ever care which class they are in.

There is still no way that staying in D1AA in that proposed district was the best situation for the BB team. Still may not win a game in D2, yet it will be against schools the same size with a couple added scholarship (sorry, aide) studs, and not against schools 3 to 4 times the enrollment that you were unwillingly thrown against.

I guess, in hind sight, I've had a burr over the multiplier since day one. My support for pulling out and going D2 was possibly biased based on principle alone. Taking my ball and going home.

I don't think the multiplier is fair either. But people in public schools think there is an unfair advantge that privates have over them. Who ever said life was fair? Is sports about fairness? If so why don't we not keep score? To both the privates and the publics, if you want to be the best you have to play the best. I just hate seeing athletics being watered down, so that everyone can win a trophy. To the publics that yell unfair, work harder, get better. To the privates that are "taking thier ball and going home(DII-A)work harder, get better. Strive to be best no mater what the competition.

QUOTE (Old Timer @ Sep 25 2008 - 02:47 PM)

RedUp, I too am a parent paying full tuition, so I have a question for you on your last statement above.....How would your child feel knowing the school (parents) paid the way for someone to come in and take a spot he/she had worked hard for?

I do not pay tuition to the school my child attends in order for my child to have a spot on the team. I pay for a total education, preparation for a life where competition is a necessity for survival. It is an educational experience when someone beats you out of a postion on the team, whether that someone received aid or not.

Like I said, we disagree. Sounds like you believe tuition paid is a guaranteed start.

My bottom line......DI schools that flirt with the financial aid rules lack integrity. Not pointing fingers or naming names. Those schools know who they are.

QUOTE (Old Timer @ Sep 25 2008 - 02:47 PM)

I do not pay tuition to the school my child attends in order for my child to have a spot on the team. I pay for a total education, preparation for a life where competition is a necessity for survival. It is an educational experience when someone beats you out of a postion on the team, whether that someone received aid or not.

Like I said, we disagree. Sounds like you believe tuition paid is a guaranteed start.

My bottom line......DI schools that flirt with the financial aid rules lack integrity. Not pointing fingers or naming names. Those schools know who they are.

Couldn't be further from the truth on guaranteed spots....what I asked was, "what do you think your child would think", not what you think is an educational experience.....

And if you read Article II ,these athletes are in D2 schools. You are not allowed to be an athlete and do this in a D1 school. It is considered finacial aid. There was a D1 school that had to give up a state championship just because a player was a few months behind on his tuittion payments. Like I said if you have player names and schools I'll be glad to forward that info to the TSSAA.

All DI privates - turn them all in