It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

You are 100% correct!

I assume that everyone has a sport that is closer to home than the rest. Which sports in your opinion were thrown under the bus?

As for me, BB is where my interest lies. Not sure if we can compete in D2 in basketball or not, yet I am CERTAIN that we would never be able to compete in the proposed district under the new Z-plan.

I think the move was in the best interest of the school, yet I am biased due to the Hopeless situation brought on by the continued use of the multiplier and localized proposed districts relating to the sport I support most.

Not sure where the money for financial aide comes from.....I would assume a little from you....a little from me...etc.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware, there is little to no financial aid offered. I know in the past we have offered assistance to "Salama" which was for inner city students. The thrust of Salama was more for academics, leadership and the arts, so CPA was a good fit as our Fine Arts program is really excellent. Salama now have their own institute which is partly supported by Christ Presbyterian Church.

We are a relatively new school and don't have a lot of endowments to even offer aid. We hope to keep tuition at a level that does not push it out of range for regular families. Of course if financial aid was offered, the student would be ineligible to play competitive sports.

So, in response to your earlier post that CPA has reviewed its mission statement and has decided to stay in DI, along with the admission that there is at least some aid offered to Salama students......seems to me that CPA has endorsed a mission statement that denies a segment of students at CPA (Salma students?) from participating in athletics. Am I wrong here?

I just don't get a school, CPA or any independent school, having a mission statement that endorses the positive educational benefits of athletics along with an administration that touts athletics, denying particular students (students who receive needed based financial aid) the fun and educational opportunity of participating in athletics, just because of the competitive landscape.

I assume that everyone has a sport that is closer to home than the rest. Which sports in your opinion were thrown under the bus?

As for me, BB is where my interest lies. Not sure if we can compete in D2 in basketball or not, yet I am CERTAIN that we would never be able to compete in the proposed district under the new Z-plan.

I think the move was in the best interest of the school, yet I am biased due to the Hopeless situation brought on by the continued use of the multiplier and localized proposed districts relating to the sport I support most.

Not sure where the money for financial aide comes from.....I would assume a little from you....a little from me...etc.

WTB, for me at the moment Volleyball which is what my daughter plays. My son used to play baseball. The tougher the competition, the more they got better. VB has been down the last couple of years, not because of the competition though, but because of the player turnover. Very young at the moment. USJ baseball never shied away from anyone and competed with everyone. For basketball, it would be tough for USJ to compete in most districts (nothing personal) but we just don't have the personel. Football can compete, I believe, but we are in the middle of a down cycle "athletism-wise", but you have to admit that they have turned the corner and the future looks positive. It would just be tougher to compete year in-year out with our current numbers. I guess my biggest gripe is that the parents (you know....the one's that pay the bills) were not given a choice here. No vote, no say-so, no nothing........For what I pay each year, I should have a say (at the very least). As for the comment about who makes the rules, I guess I mean who garners the most support. I will say this, I can count on one hand how many times this year I have seen our current Head Master or any other high ranking administrative person at a volleyball game showing their support (ZERO if you want to know). Wonder how many football games they have been to??? Ok, I'm through blowing steam. Good luck this year in basketball!!

WTB, for me at the moment Volleyball which is what my daughter plays. My son used to play baseball. The tougher the competition, the more they got better. VB has been down the last couple of years, not because of the competition though, but because of the player turnover. Very young at the moment. USJ baseball never shied away from anyone and competed with everyone. For basketball, it would be tough for USJ to compete in most districts (nothing personal) but we just don't have the personel. Football can compete, I believe, but we are in the middle of a down cycle "athletism-wise", but you have to admit that they have turned the corner and the future looks positive. It would just be tougher to compete year in-year out with our current numbers. I guess my biggest gripe is that the parents (you know....the one's that pay the bills) were not given a choice here. No vote, no say-so, no nothing........For what I pay each year, I should have a say (at the very least). As for the comment about who makes the rules, I guess I mean who garners the most support. I will say this, I can count on one hand how many times this year I have seen our current Head Master or any other high ranking administrative person at a volleyball game showing their support (ZERO if you want to know). Wonder how many football games they have been to??? Ok, I'm through blowing steam. Good luck this year in basketball!!

You are very correct. I think there should have been a vote. It effects everyone in the school especially if scholarships will be awarded. If my child was coming up to high school, I would have to rethink the athlectic side of USJ. I have heard from those in charge that "USJ is not for everyone"

I probably did not make it clear. Salama now have their own institute so athletic participation is not an issue as the students do not attend our school. Salama has been around a while and as far as I am aware Christ Presbyterian Church (and other churches in Nashville) have helped Salama establish themselves to the point where they are now.

I am a teacher in the high school so I was not involved in any of the decision making process to stay in D1. The easiest route for sure would have been to move to DII Small Division. We are now going to be with Stratford, Lipscomb, Pearl Cohn etc all of which are considerably larger than we are so we are not going to be dominating anybody. Athletics was not the major driver in the decision, we are a part of the Greater Nashville Community and as such want to preserve that in all areas, including athletics.

As for need based financial aid, I am honestly not aware of any students who fall in that category at the current time.

So, in response to your earlier post that CPA has reviewed its mission statement and has decided to stay in DI, along with the admission that there is at least some aid offered to Salama students......seems to me that CPA has endorsed a mission statement that denies a segment of students at CPA (Salma students?) from participating in athletics. Am I wrong here?

I just don't get a school, CPA or any independent school, having a mission statement that endorses the positive educational benefits of athletics along with an administration that touts athletics, denying particular students (students who receive needed based financial aid) the fun and educational opportunity of participating in athletics, just because of the competitive landscape.

I probably did not make it clear. Salama now have their own institute so athletic participation is not an issue as the students do not attend our school. Salama has been around a while and as far as I am aware Christ Presbyterian Church (and other churches in Nashville) have helped Salama establish themselves to the point where they are now.

I am a teacher in the high school so I was not involved in any of the decision making process to stay in D1. The easiest route for sure would have been to move to DII Small Division. We are now going to be with Stratford, Lipscomb, Pearl Cohn etc all of which are considerably larger than we are so we are not going to be dominating anybody. Athletics was not the major driver in the decision, we are a part of the Greater Nashville Community and as such want to preserve that in all areas, including athletics.

As for need based financial aid, I am honestly not aware of any students who fall in that category at the current time.

Ok- thanks. I appreciate your answer. If CPA does not give need based financial aid, it is not denying any student the opportunity to fully participate. Then take the multiplier and stay in DI is that meets your needs.

I do have a real beef with any independent school that does give aid, but then denies those aid receiving students the opportunity that all other students have. It's not fair. It is discriminatory. It's done in the name of getting wins, which is more than likely directly opposed to the heart of that schools mission statement.

I look for honesty and integrity from independent schools and educational, competitive opportunities for students in the midst of this mess......not wins.

You are very correct. I think there should have been a vote. It effects everyone in the school especially if scholarships will be awarded. If my child was coming up to high school, I would have to rethink the athlectic side of USJ. I have heard from those in charge that "USJ is not for everyone"

Everybody has a vote...it's called tuition payment.

They're not scholarships...it's need based financial aid. There's a big difference there.

I don't know if it the athletism is down but there are quite a few good athletes that chose not to play football.

I still say that USJ has downgraded their athletic program to play in DII-A for football. I think it would have been better for ALL the athletic progams to stay in division I. They are now ranked in the Top 10 in Divsion I - AA in the latest state wide poll in football.