It's Official Now.......

Old Timer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know. I would assume that they are considering their options. I don't know how anyone can make a reasoned decision until enrollment numbers come in and schools see what their classification options are.

I thought they had at least gotten enough numbers together to let the Private's know which class they would be in.

The latest TSSAA meeting decided to use the same cut-off number between D1 A & AA (in reference to the three main classes, not the sub-classes in football) as the same break point between Large and Small in D2..........I thought? The article in the paper said that both USJ and JCS had been told they would both be in the Small division? How could they they guarantee that?

Not sure what that number is/was......maybe they are both far enough away from the cut-off to know before the final numbers are in? If your multiplied number puts you in D1AA and your unmultiplied puts you in D2Small, it looks to me that you were right on the bubble and a determination could not have been made without the enrollment figures being known?

Any ideas?

I thought they had at least gotten enough numbers together to let the Private's know which class they would be in.

The latest TSSAA meeting decided to use the same cut-off number between D1 A & AA (in reference to the three main classes, not the sub-classes in football) as the same break point between Large and Small in D2..........I thought? The article in the paper said that both USJ and JCS had been told they would both be in the Small division? How could they they guarantee that?

Not sure what that number is/was......maybe they are both far enough away from the cut-off to know before the final numbers are in? If your multiplied number puts you in D1AA and your unmultiplied puts you in D2Small, it looks to me that you were right on the bubble and a determination could not have been made without the enrollment figures being known?

Any ideas?

At its August meeting, the Board of Control voted to use the fall 2008 enrollment figures determined as of the 20th day after the first day of fall classes. These numbers are to be sent in to the TSSAA. The deadline to get these numbers in is the end of this month. The TSSAA will then send out out a letter to all private schools with the enrollment figures, multiplied by 1.8 for the privates, so that the privates can see where they will fall in the A,AA,AAA classification scheme, which under the Z Plan now applies to football, and the privates will be asked to elect between D-I and D-II. My understanding is that this process will take place at the end of this month/early October.

For private schools, it is pretty easy to get the 2008 fall enrollment numbers as of Day 20 of classes. They can then multiply that number by 1.8 and determine their enrollment for classification purposes. So, most privates probably have a good idea now where they will likely be for classification purposes.

The day after the June meeting of the Board of Control at which the 1.8 mutliplier was retained and Z Plan was adopted, the Tennessean published a classification breakdown, by district, for A, AA, AAA determined using "current enrollment" numbers ( presumably, the 2007-2008 enrollment, though it was not specified ). That article was posted on the CoachT. site. It also had a breakdown of each of the three classes into their two divisions for playoff purposes in football. All of the current D-I privates were included in that breakdown. So, the privates in D-I have had a pretty good where they might be by district and for playoff purposes if their enrollment has not changed too dramatically since June. I am sure most, if not all of them, have been studying what they want to do since the June decisions by the Board of Control. When the letter comes out from the TSSAA at the end of this month/first of October with the official numbers, most of the privates should be able to make a "reasoned decision" rather quickly on which way they want to go. Some already have, as indicated by the Jackson schools.

At its August meeting, the Board of Control voted to use the fall 2008 enrollment figures determined as of the 20th day after the first day of fall classes. These numbers are to be sent in to the TSSAA. The deadline to get these numbers in is the end of this month. The TSSAA will then send out out a letter to all private schools with the enrollment figures, multiplied by 1.8 for the privates, so that the privates can see where they will fall in the A,AA,AAA classification scheme, which under the Z Plan now applies to football, and the privates will be asked to elect between D-I and D-II. My understanding is that this process will take place at the end of this month/early October.

For private schools, it is pretty easy to get the 2008 fall enrollment numbers as of Day 20 of classes. They can then multiply that number by 1.8 and determine their enrollment for classification purposes. So, most privates probably have a good idea now where they will likely be for classification purposes.

The day after the June meeting of the Board of Control at which the 1.8 mutliplier was retained and Z Plan was adopted, the Tennessean published a classification breakdown, by district, for A, AA, AAA determined using "current enrollment" numbers ( presumably, the 2007-2008 enrollment, though it was not specified ). That article was posted on the CoachT. site. It also had a breakdown of each of the three classes into their two divisions for playoff purposes in football. All of the current D-I privates were included in that breakdown. So, the privates in D-I have had a pretty good where they might be by district and for playoff purposes if their enrollment has not changed too dramatically since June. I am sure most, if not all of them, have been studying what they want to do since the June decisions by the Board of Control. When the letter comes out from the TSSAA at the end of this month/first of October with the official numbers, most of the privates should be able to make a "reasoned decision" rather quickly on which way they want to go. Some already have, as indicated by the Jackson schools.

The current D1 Privates were/wil be included in the D1 breakdown using the multiplied number correct? Although

I can't find it now, I KNOW I saw where the the D1 cut-off between A and AA would be used to split D2 into Large and Small. USJ and JCS are (and probably still) classified as AA with using the factor of 1.8. I assume that after being shown that.....along with knowing what the magic number between A/AA - Small/Large.....you would then take your actual (not multiplied) enrollment to see where you would fall in D2? (once again I a talking about the "big" A/AA/AAA under the Z-plan, not the "a" breakdowns within being used for football)

According to all the news article.....both have been guaranteed they would be in the Small division. I still don't see how you can make that guarantee without knowing what the actual numbers are? Just quoting what I read, and I may have added the word "guaranteed" on my own, yet it would not be very ethical for both to make that decision and then end up in Large division of D2.

Thanks for you help.