Please pray for the Greenbrier football family

5-Sport Dad

Shane Pinkelton, 41 year-old father of former standout player Jestin Pinkelton and stepfather of current standout player Treavor Thaxton, passed away this afternoon unexpectedly. Please keep the family of this great guy, husband, father and unselfish supporter of the Greenbrier athletic program in your prayers. Much of our community is in shock.

Prayers from Pirate country.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5Sport, it's one of those things that takes a little time for the mind to wrap around. You are right, he was behind the scenes, but a difference maker. I am really hoping there will be a scholarship fund with his name on it somewhere in the future for Bobcat players. His name deserves to be remembered because God took a good one. It sure puts a different perspective on what's important. Right now, the only thing that will make a difference is prayer.

Yeah, it'll be a long week around here, especially in the athletic 'circle.' Help us, Lord, to remember they are just games.

The scholarship is an excellent idea. Most appropriate, in my opinion.

Please note: I learned from a close friend tonight that he was 39, not 41, and have edited my initial post. This is the second untimely loss in a week for me (another Greenbrier friend died last week from breast cancer; she was 51). Both were much too young, at least in our worldly minds.

Yeah, it'll be a long week around here, especially in the athletic 'circle.' Help us, Lord, to remember they are just games.

The scholarship is an excellent idea. Most appropriate, in my opinion.

Please note: I learned from a close friend tonight that he was 39, not 41, and have edited my initial post. This is the second untimely loss in a week for me (another Greenbrier friend died last week from breast cancer; she was 51). Both were much too young, at least in our worldly minds.

I heard the visitation is tomorrow for those that don't know. Something like early afternoon til 8 or so at Austin and Bell in Greenbrier. Funeral is to be sometime Wednesday...I'm sure it will be in the obits. Sad week...hopefully the Cats will play for Shane Friday night, but if they don't win, it will be understandable. I think he meant a lot to many players and no one in the Bobcat Football program won't be thinking of him and his family.

(Yep...it's been a hard week. Terri was a great one too. What a fighter. Guess we rub the same elbows, 5sport.)

I will lift up this family and your community during these trying days. I pray that you can each take comfort in the promise that during our trials and tribulations, we are assured that Our Father will draw nearer to each of His children and that God is still in control.

What a wonderful legacy he seems to be leaving for his family and community. God Bless you from the Sycamore community.

I just got home from the funeral home. The whole time there, I just could not believe what was happening. This man meant so much to so many people. He will be missed by everyone he met - he was that great of a person. It seems like only yesterday we were talking football and baseball while we set out in the hot weather watching our sons practice. Man did he love baseball and football! Shane was so very humble, and I am sure he "is" surprised to see the hundreds of people that came out to pay their respects to him and his family today.

Shane - we will always love and miss you!! Please know that this small community will embrace and look over your family, as we know you will be watching over us, "ESPECIALLY ON FRIDAY NIGHT!".

• 2 weeks later...