Maryville Vs. Powel

RebelRant101

Maryville better not come in thinking that the game is over before it even begins...64 and counting STOPS HERE IN POWELL, TENNESSEE on September 19, 2008...IN OVERTIME...

That's what we thought too...... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Didn't work out for us... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I'm a Powell fan, and I'm all for positive thinking, but jeez, every week someone gets up and wants to be the first to say that 'their team' will be the one to knock off Maryville, and the same thing happens every Friday night. Powell should be thinking about playing a complete 48-minute game, then we'll worry about an upset. They haven't shown anything that makes me think they can shock Maryville. Kier Houston is a great quarterback, but for Powell to beat Maryville, he has to duplicate what he did in the 4th quarter of that game for an entire 48 minutes.

That alone, though, isn't enough for Powell in a game like this. In addition to the Panthers playing a complete 48-minute game, with few penalties/no turnovers, Powell would have to take advantage of every mistake (if any) Maryville provides them. We've seen it throughout Maryville's streak - they are disciplined. They don't make a lot of mistakes, and that's why they are the champions that they are. Even when they've made mistakes in these games, no one has been able to fully take advantage.

Add in the fact that Powell doesn't even have a place kicker, and I just don't think Powell has what it takes to win this game. I think it's very possible that the Panthers could keep it within 2 or 3 TDs, but they'll have to play better this week versus last Friday, just for it to be that close.

It might be a little off topic, but I am a long time friend of the parents of Tom Hansen who was a former place kicker for Powell. Tommy was invited to walk on at Purdue, but even though he did pretty well it didn't work out. He is now UT Martin's place kicker and has set records for consecutive PATs and kicking points scored in a game. Below is the link to UT Martin's info.

http://www.utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=...;sport=Football

Cade Thompson and Steven Shiver from Maryville are also both playing for UT Martin and doing well. Both Powell and Maryville are represented pretty well out there.

As far as Fridays game, the Red and Black will win, but it is never been easy to beat Powell. They always bring their A game against Maryville. I don't think they have ever lost to Maryville because they didn't have enough heart. I think the most impressive thing about the streak is that it usually involves two wins over Powell and/or Central each year./thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hitch frum tha raydeeo? L I B! Ewe thur is a celebrity! Culd ewe sine a pickchur fur a long tyme fan?

bye thee way Bldrunner, i ben meenin ta ask ya whut in tarnashun happined to yur teem aginst them indeeins frum dobbins bennit?

64-0, still truckin.

It looks like the stadium is also a reflection of the academics there as well.

It might be a little off topic, but I am a long time friend of the parents of Tom Hansen who was a former place kicker for Powell. Tommy was invited to walk on at Purdue, but even though he did pretty well it didn't work out. He is now UT Martin's place kicker and has set records for consecutive PATs and kicking points scored in a game. Below is the link to UT Martin's info.

http://www.utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=...;sport=Football

Cade Thompson and Steven Shiver from Maryville are also both playing for UT Martin and doing well. Both Powell and Maryville are represented pretty well out there.

As far as Fridays game, the Red and Black will win, but it is never been easy to beat Powell. They always bring their A game against Maryville. I don't think they have ever lost to Maryville because they didn't have enough heart. I think the most impressive thing about the streak is that it usually involves two wins over Powell and/or Central each year./thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thank You for the kind words about our program and the information about Tom, mvlrebel. I think this game is going to be pretty interesting although I would love to see some of our less humble fans stop saying that we're going to beat a team that nevre seems to lose. I agree in sentiment with what JLancaster is (at least i think) trying to say. If Maryville thinks they can just roll their new shiny nike gear out there and beat Powell Friday night they will be in for a dogfight for 4 quarters. Probelm is, Maryville never does that. If Powell plays a fundamentally sound football game, and can force Maryville to make a few mistakes then they will have a chance to win it in the fourth quarter. If Maryville jumps on this Powell team early then the rout is on.

Thank You for the kind words about our program and the information about Tom, mvlrebel. I think this game is going to be pretty interesting although I would love to see some of our less humble fans stop saying that we're going to beat a team that nevre seems to lose. I agree in sentiment with what JLancaster is (at least i think) trying to say. If Maryville thinks they can just roll their new shiny nike gear out there and beat Powell Friday night they will be in for a dogfight for 4 quarters. Probelm is, Maryville never does that. If Powell plays a fundamentally sound football game, and can force Maryville to make a few mistakes then they will have a chance to win it in the fourth quarter. If Maryville jumps on this Powell team early then the rout is on.

Excellent first post Panther4life. My sentiments exactly.

As soon as we build a pizza joint that serves slices on coaster sized paper plates and beer in viking goblets we will build a stadium next to it. I am not sure if we will go to the expense of burying radioactive waste under it.

Sorry that I sound like a hater, but I get all riled up when people disrespect the skeeterdome. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I don't know why they would disrespect it? It is one of the nicest fields and stadiums in the area. But I don't recall seeing a DOME anywhere? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

With that kind of $ coming in, why don't they fix it up?

I've got a great idea! Why doesn't MHS build a stadium "off campus"..say at the middle school..and build it great big. They could then put together a weak team and commence to looking at all those "beautiful" seats every Friday night (empty of course). And, just for kicks maybe MHS could get GQ to get into fights with opposing coaches.

I've got a great idea! Why doesn't MHS build a stadium "off campus"..say at the middle school..and build it great big. They could then put together a weak team and commence to looking at all those "beautiful" seats every Friday night (empty of course). And, just for kicks maybe MHS could get GQ to get into fights with opposing coaches.

OldRebel2 haiv ewe seed tha knew Kick Bawl stadeeum at Oke Gridge Hi campus??......Hits rilly purty and hits obveeus Kick Bawl iz King in Oke Gridge now.....Maybee bldrunner's kick bawl teem will git two tha Burro........ /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I don't know why they would disrespect it? It is one of the nicest fields and stadiums in the area. But I don't recall seeing a DOME anywhere? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

We had to take it down so the people on Ceder street would give us all the balls we kicked into their yard.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Besides, it was killing the grass.